Is it safe to software update iphone thru OTA?

apple459721

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
19,881
Reaction score
5,403
What is the success rate the software will update successfully thru OTA?

And not hang halfway and corrupt/all data loss?

Thanks!


Anyone here evertime update by OTA?

Which one high success rate? Update by itune or OTA?
 
Last edited:

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,168
I always:
1. take a full backup using iTunes
2. update thru OTA.
 

Conan1986

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
6,544
Reaction score
79
I don't wanna jinx it but my OTA updates have never failed before since iPhone 4
 

tec_geek

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
2,143
Reaction score
76
Whenever there is a new update that has just released, you may hold on for about 1-2 hours for techies to update. Should there be any wide known issues, they or Apple will make a post accordingly.

Nonetheless, like what some has said, always backup through iTunes and/or backup via iCloud before installing the update.
 

Habrosus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
29,182
Reaction score
13,181
Make sure you've enough time in your hand to wait for the full process to get through. Don't start the backup if you're in a rush to leave or something.
 

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
20,555
Reaction score
121
I only update through iTunes - faster & if anything goes wrong I can turn on DFU mode.
 

apple459721

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
19,881
Reaction score
5,403
Whenever there is a new update that has just released, you may hold on for about 1-2 hours for techies to update. Should there be any wide known issues, they or Apple will make a post accordingly.

Nonetheless, like what some has said, always backup through iTunes and/or backup via iCloud before installing the update.

When backup thru itune, does it backup the iphone 100%?
Example my iphone is 32gb, itune will backup all the 32gb data?
 

apple459721

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
19,881
Reaction score
5,403
I only update through iTunes - faster & if anything goes wrong I can turn on DFU mode.

When updating by OTA i worry while updating suddenly it hang/corrupt..

When updating by itune i also worry while updating suddenly the lightning cable spoilt..den updating will stop halfway..


I dont know why everytime there is a new software update i will feel scare to update. Worry it will hang/corrupt den i will lose all the data in the phone..i will probably stressed out
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,168
Ok, so you always update thru OTA, has it ever update unsuccessful before?

only once. can't remb which ver but it was e one which Apple released a firmware that bricked some ppl's phone n I kena. shud have waited. had a full backup so just restored it after Apple released a non bricking ver...
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,168
When updating by OTA i worry while updating suddenly it hang/corrupt..

When updating by itune i also worry while updating suddenly the lightning cable spoilt..den updating will stop halfway..


I dont know why everytime there is a new software update i will feel scare to update. Worry it will hang/corrupt den i will lose all the data in the phone..i will probably stressed out

theoretically it shouldn't cos after e firmware has been downloaded it is verified again. if corrupted it will catch itself. if so worried then dun update lor :s22: u won't lose data if u backup. that's e keyword here...
 

Conan1986

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
6,544
Reaction score
79
When backup thru itune, does it backup the iphone 100%?
Example my iphone is 32gb, itune will backup all the 32gb data?

iTunes backup will backup every file including Photos and Videos. It does not backup sync'ed music and videos though.

When updating by OTA i worry while updating suddenly it hang/corrupt..

When updating by itune i also worry while updating suddenly the lightning cable spoilt..den updating will stop halfway..


I dont know why everytime there is a new software update i will feel scare to update. Worry it will hang/corrupt den i will lose all the data in the phone..i will probably stressed out

Don't worry so much. Like what some has said, hold of for a day or two to check if there's any major issue with the OTA update. Apple will halt OTA distribution if there are major issues. It is generally a good idea to backup your phone once in a while even if not for updating your iOS anyway. There are bigger things to stress about in life :o
 

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
20,555
Reaction score
121
When updating by OTA i worry while updating suddenly it hang/corrupt..

When updating by itune i also worry while updating suddenly the lightning cable spoilt..den updating will stop halfway..


I dont know why everytime there is a new software update i will feel scare to update. Worry it will hang/corrupt den i will lose all the data in the phone..i will probably stressed out

What I always do is wait about a few days to a week before updating. For major updates eg iOS 9 to iOS 10, I always wait about 2 - 3 months.

That way if there are any bugs in the new update, it'll be in the news & I'll avoid the update until the bugs are fixed.
 

swgj86

Master Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
127
Most of my updates done via OTA. Only when I do factory reset and want to install latest firmware den have to do thru iTunes. Only did once, nerve wrecking experience cos it takes quite some time. Lol. So far OTA updates didn't have any issues.

What I always do is wait about a few days to a week before updating. For major updates eg iOS 9 to iOS 10, I always wait about 2 - 3 months.

That way if there are any bugs in the new update, it'll be in the news & I'll avoid the update until the bugs are fixed.
 

revogsx

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
731
Reaction score
0
1. backup thru itunes
2. backup to icloud (I am paying for 50GB icloud storage.
3. remember you have 2 backup

4. upgrade to OTA. it never fails in 3 iphone, 2 ipad
 

revogsx

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
731
Reaction score
0
while overseas last time, my 64GB iphone suddenly have passcode issue. have to clear and restore from icloud.(40GB restore)

restore from cloud allows you to use phone while restore is ongoing:

Part 1 - icloud restores basic data (imessage, notes, phone book, and most app data, 3rd party apps and photos are not yet restored). took at least 5 hours and cannot use phone.

Part 2 - after basic data restored. it allows you to use phone. send sms and make call, take photo. however, 3rd party apps will is being downloaded, photos are also being downloaded.

Total time to finish iCloud restore to 100% = 1.5 days. All restored while I was overseas using hotel wifi or public wifi.

yes is slow :D but our phone data is more valuable than time hehe

But iCloud restore if u got 128gb of data sure epic omg slow
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top