Is my PSU dying?

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
15,999
Reaction score
6,513
Hi Guys,

Im back again and I think it is my new SSD causing problems.

My mobo SATA port failed to detect the SSD. Previously, I tried remove and replugging the connector, it works for a while.
Then a few days ago, it just simply failed to get detected.

Initially, I was thinking my PSU...so I did remove DVD and HDD....it works but the problem comes back.

Yesterday night, I tried reconnect my SATA DVD rom and it was detected. Play music CD no issue. I was also thinking maybe SATA controller issue, so need to confirm. No obviously, it is not SATA controller problem.

So, now Im back to using slow poke IDE HDD again....:(

Really gets spook out by SSD. First time buy and use and encounter this problem. It is Kingston A400 240GB bought from Shoppee.
My friend already warned me about Kingston SSD....

Use only 3 months nia.:s22:

I heard horror stories of kingston ssds as well, but so suay for you to encounter it first hand
 

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
19,876
Reaction score
307
I heard horror stories of kingston ssds as well, but so suay for you to encounter it first hand

Should have spend $ go for SATA HDD.....even my legacy IDE HDD looks rock solid.
Only peeve point is the lag during start up and opening of programs.
 

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
72,511
Reaction score
2,488
Hi Guys,

Im back again and I think it is my new SSD causing problems.

My mobo SATA port failed to detect the SSD. Previously, I tried remove and replugging the connector, it works for a while.
Then a few days ago, it just simply failed to get detected.

Initially, I was thinking my PSU...so I did remove DVD and HDD....it works but the problem comes back.

Yesterday night, I tried reconnect my SATA DVD rom and it was detected. Play music CD no issue. I was also thinking maybe SATA controller issue, so need to confirm. No obviously, it is not SATA controller problem.

So, now Im back to using slow poke IDE HDD again....:(

Really gets spook out by SSD. First time buy and use and encounter this problem. It is Kingston A400 240GB bought from Shoppee.
My friend already warned me about Kingston SSD....

Use only 3 months nia.:s22:
My anecdotal experience is an unstable PSU can really give you a lot of hard to troubleshoot problems. Before I got rid of my 550W PSU, my HDDs constantly dropped out during file transfers, until I though my disks are failing. I actually RMAed 1 of my drives but the problem still isn't resolved. Once I swap in a new PSU, all the problems went away. :s22:


If you have a spare PSU that you can swap in, I feel it's worth a shot doing so.
 

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
19,876
Reaction score
307
My anecdotal experience is an unstable PSU can really give you a lot of hard to troubleshoot problems. Before I got rid of my 550W PSU, my HDDs constantly dropped out during file transfers, until I though my disks are failing. I actually RMAed 1 of my drives but the problem still isn't resolved. Once I swap in a new PSU, all the problems went away. :s22:

If you have a spare PSU that you can swap in, I feel it's worth a shot doing so.

Thanks for input.

Im now back using IDE HDD and SATA DVD.

BTW, I did plug in my SSD using SATA to USB cable last night. The drive appears on my Device Manager, but it doesn't appear on my File explorer.
I try to right click Properties. Think Not responding the moment I click Details.
I also try going Computer Management to see the Drives, always stuck at Connecting to virtual service.
(The above step was done using boot up using my IDE HDD)
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,464
Reaction score
6,012
Hi Guys,

Im back again and I think it is my new SSD causing problems.

My mobo SATA port failed to detect the SSD. Previously, I tried remove and replugging the connector, it works for a while.
Then a few days ago, it just simply failed to get detected.

Initially, I was thinking my PSU...so I did remove DVD and HDD....it works but the problem comes back.

Yesterday night, I tried reconnect my SATA DVD rom and it was detected. Play music CD no issue. I was also thinking maybe SATA controller issue, so need to confirm. No obviously, it is not SATA controller problem.

So, now Im back to using slow poke IDE HDD again....:(

Really gets spook out by SSD. First time buy and use and encounter this problem. It is Kingston A400 240GB bought from Shoppee.
My friend already warned me about Kingston SSD....

Use only 3 months nia.:s22:

PS first thing first downgrade to Windows 7.
The PC spec running Windows 10 is really bad.
Not to mention the hardware dates back 2008 which is really old.

If you downgrade to Windows 7 and SSD does not detect means either SATA port or SATA cable faulty.

At this point I suspect could be the SATA controller of Win 10 at fault.
I have similar AMD rig but those are running Win 7 not 10.

PS I am willing to buy the mobo from you so you can fund for upgrade.
Maybe get a AMD A320M Mobo, AMD Ryzen 3 3200g and DDR4 ram around $200.

Or on hand I have a Intel 3470 chip and DDR3 RAM but need a mobo which I can help you find but total is around $150.

The old Asus mobo maximum I can offer you $50 but if really got problem like sata port than price will be lower.

I have old AMD Phenom II CPU so with the that mobo I can rebuild that PC since the mobo died.
For now downgrade to Windows 7 and try again.
My Intel i5 2500k rig running Win 7, I still can use.

Zoom meeting etc. No issue on Win 7 except no more security update.
 

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
19,876
Reaction score
307
PS first thing first downgrade to Windows 7.
The PC spec running Windows 10 is really bad.
Not to mention the hardware dates back 2008 which is really old.

If you downgrade to Windows 7 and SSD does not detect means either SATA port or SATA cable faulty.

At this point I suspect could be the SATA controller of Win 10 at fault.
I have similar AMD rig but those are running Win 7 not 10.

PS I am willing to buy the mobo from you so you can fund for upgrade.
Maybe get a AMD A320M Mobo, AMD Ryzen 3 3200g and DDR4 ram around $200.

Or on hand I have a Intel 3470 chip and DDR3 RAM but need a mobo which I can help you find but total is around $150.

Thanks, pal.

But the mobo correctly detected my SATA DVD Rom....so means the controller is working? No?
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
Your rig is too old already, more of these intermittent issues at play.
Time for a complete new rig.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,068
Reaction score
1,763
Hi Guys,

Im back again and I think it is my new SSD causing problems.

My mobo SATA port failed to detect the SSD. Previously, I tried remove and replugging the connector, it works for a while.
Then a few days ago, it just simply failed to get detected.

....

is the SSD detected in BIOS?

If not, switch ports and/or cables.
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,464
Reaction score
6,012
Thanks, pal.

But the mobo correctly detected my SATA DVD Rom....so means the controller is working? No?

Controller is working so maybe driver, port, or cable.
Anyway you let me know if you need help.
 

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
19,876
Reaction score
307
is the SSD detected in BIOS?

If not, switch ports and/or cables.

Not detected. During boot up, if the ssd is attached, the process will lag real bad.

Already switch ports and cables. Still same.

Posted from PCWX using Redmi Note 8 Pro
 

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
19,876
Reaction score
307
Btw for your SSD, try getting an external case to test. If its dead its just dead.

Last night I tried using sata to usb cable....the ssd shows up in device manager, but file explorer nothing.
Means kaput?

Posted from PCWX using Redmi Note 8 Pro
 

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
72,511
Reaction score
2,488
Last night I tried using sata to usb cable....the ssd shows up in device manager, but file explorer nothing.
Means kaput?

Posted from PCWX using Redmi Note 8 Pro
Possible. You said you can't open disk management right? :spin:

If the same behavior persist on another rig you probably have a dead SSD on your hands.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,068
Reaction score
1,763

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
19,876
Reaction score
307
post screenshot of disk manager. (diskmgmt.msc). leave it running until something shows up.

If it at least shows the disk size but "Not initialised", it could be a logical failure which can be recovered by TestDisk. Google it for instructions on data recovery using that free tool.

If the disk appears as 0B or it never shows the hardware I/O controller chip has failed. just hah kin RMA the thing and fk the vendor for it.

I see....I can only connect it using USB. Guess I'll give it a try.
I bought via Shoppee, ship from China.

RMA time. If can't detect in BIOS, there is nothing much that can be done.

Amazon Singapore has some pretty good SATA SSDs like the Hynix S31 500GB at S$77

https://www.amazon.sg/SK-hynix-Gold...ild=1&keywords=s31&qid=1616579728&sr=8-1&th=1

For Kingston SSD RMA, is it Convergent?
I RMAed Ram sticks before, SSD so far never try.
 

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
19,876
Reaction score
307
post screenshot of disk manager. (diskmgmt.msc). leave it running until something shows up.


If it at least shows the disk size but "Not initialised", it could be a logical failure which can be recovered by TestDisk. Google it for instructions on data recovery using that free tool.


If the disk appears as 0B or it never shows the hardware I/O controller chip has failed. just hah kin RMA the thing and fk the vendor for it.

As mentioned, I can only connect vis USB.

After running for like 10 mins....finally come out this.

XLvLAV0.jpg


Of course, I didn't click the Initialize.

So, whats the next step? Testdisk data recovery?
 

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
19,876
Reaction score
307
I'm back....finally found sometime to try testdisk.
Strange, some of the posts are gone........ :(

It took sometime for my Kingston SSD to be detected.

Stuck at this stage very long.
AfMmPj0.jpg


Then got this after Intel > Analyse
uDynDt4.jpg


Means what??? It is gone?
 

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
19,876
Reaction score
307
kaput already. If testdisk cannot read means the damage to the hardware chip is pretty bad.

Try a deep partition search first.

Otherwise, if you still want to recover data, you have no choice but to engage a data recovery professional. Even so, I would say your chances of recovery are not very high. Depends on whether your data is worth that four figure sum to recover or not...
Thanks pal!
Think some of your posts were removed. Whatever reasons, Im not sure.

How to proceed deep search?

Im pretty ok losing whatever data inside, it is a clone from my IDE HDD.
In fact I want the data inside to be wiped out becoz I might want to try whether can RMA,
since looks like major hardware fail.
There are some confidential personal info inside. CPF and images of my IC.
 

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
19,876
Reaction score
307
Think the deep search option only comes out if partition are detected.
Screenshot from youtube demo video
trAa7sR.jpg
 

wtfh4x

Master Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2010
Messages
3,322
Reaction score
210
My anecdotal experience is an unstable PSU can really give you a lot of hard to troubleshoot problems. Before I got rid of my 550W PSU, my HDDs constantly dropped out during file transfers, until I though my disks are failing. I actually RMAed 1 of my drives but the problem still isn't resolved. Once I swap in a new PSU, all the problems went away. :s22:


If you have a spare PSU that you can swap in, I feel it's worth a shot doing so.
Second this. All kinds of weird undiagnosable symptoms happen when PSUs start to fail. I would wager that's what killed your SSD.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top