Is NAS Harddisk interchangeable (QNAP vs Synology)?

SamSam

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Hi, I am new to NAS and would like to seek for expert's advise on the NAS Queries:

1) Which is more recommended - QNAP or Synology NAS? Personally, I prefer HDMI output from NAS, therefore is QNAP the only choice?

2) If I set up the Raid 5 Storage using QNAP NAS, is the harddisk readeable by putting them on a typical motherboard with RAID function under windows Operating System?

3) If the QNAP or Synology NAS fails in future, do I need to buy back the same brand of NAP in order for me to transfer those harddisk from old to New NAS? If it readeable if I swap the harddisk from either QNAP to Synology or from Synology to QNAP?

4)If I buy back the same brand (e.g. QNAP) after NAS fail, can I just transfer those harddisk (RAID 5) directly to the new QNAP NAS? Is Synology the same approach?

Thank you very much.

Cheers
 

VincentV

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 14, 2000
Messages
5,167
Reaction score
0
For 2), 3) & 4) :
It's pretty much the same question, and most definitely can't be done.
If memory serves me right, QNAP and Synology use different methods to RAID and different file systems as well. Synology recent NAS use btrfs, QNAP can't remember.

RAID migration between NAS devices is quite tricky. Even within same brand & different NAS model or firmware might have issues.


Hi, I am new to NAS and would like to seek for expert's advise on the NAS Queries:

1) Which is more recommended - QNAP or Synology NAS? Personally, I prefer HDMI output from NAS, therefore is QNAP the only choice?

2) If I set up the Raid 5 Storage using QNAP NAS, is the harddisk readeable by putting them on a typical motherboard with RAID function under windows Operating System?

3) If the QNAP or Synology NAS fails in future, do I need to buy back the same brand of NAP in order for me to transfer those harddisk from old to New NAS? If it readeable if I swap the harddisk from either QNAP to Synology or from Synology to QNAP?

4)If I buy back the same brand (e.g. QNAP) after NAS fail, can I just transfer those harddisk (RAID 5) directly to the new QNAP NAS? Is Synology the same approach?

Thank you very much.

Cheers
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,705
Reaction score
528
For Synology, I migrated from ds212j to ds414 without issue.
 

setiardi

Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2001
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
For Synology, I migrated from ds212j to ds414 without issue.

Yes, with synology if the array of hdd is migrated as a group, shld be ok. Eg, ds212j is a 2 bay NAS, transfer the 2 disk on to the ds414 4 bay NAS, no problem. Can further add 2 more hdd to expand array.
But if u one to just transfer 1 hdd, then the hdd is not accessable as it is an encrpyted half of 2 disk array.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top