Is StarHub $5 5G Data-only SIM worth it

ryanisnothuman

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
6
I’m actually looking for a data-only plan with better CP value to use as a secondary backup data line. It doesn’t need to support calls or SMS. I’ve previously tried MyRepublic’s $4.20 data-only plan and SIMBA’s $5 data-only plan, but both of them only run on 4G instead of 5G (SIMBA’s 5G isn’t true 5G, with questionable signal stability).

MyRepublic’s $4.20 data-only plan (already discontinued) only offered 4GB of full-speed data per month. Even if network speed and coverage weren’t an issue, that data quota was simply too small.

Recently, I noticed that StarHub has quietly launched two 5G data-only SIM plans, and the $5 plan with 20GB per month seems sufficient for me as a backup data line. However, I’ve never used any StarHub MNO plans before, so I’d really appreciate insights from anyone who’s familiar with this offering. For example:
- Does this data-only SIM offer the same signal quality and speeds as StarHub’s regular 5G plans?
- Does the data-only SIM come with a mobile number that can receive SMS or incoming calls? if accidentally make a call or send an SMS (if possible), how would it charge?
- What happens after the 20GB data quota is used up? Is there any pay-per-use charge?

fcbO4Sf.md.jpg
https://consumer.starhub.com/personal/store/mobile-plans (navigate to "5G Data only")

Thanks in advance for any insights or experiences shared 😊
 

sibeiTrolled

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,025
Reaction score
1,635

ryanisnothuman

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
6
Scroll all the way down and there are some basic faq for the data only plan but probably not enough to cover what you want to ask

Since it is a 13 digit number, you probably can't call or receive sms but best to check with them

You can top up the data via starhub app if you used up the 20gb
i see. this faq page was out of order yesterday, so i didn't notice this. thanks for sharing
in this case, it looks like a special sim card (or line), so i really concern the quality and stability
 

sibeiTrolled

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,025
Reaction score
1,635
really concern the quality and stability
Imo the quality or stability should be the same or at least on par with their mvno, giga, since it is direct from starhub. But during peak hours or blindspots, I can't say for sure

Is your main line Singtel,M1 or Simba?
If so, if I were you, I would just try it out since it's just secondary data line;)
 

longnshots

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
With almost similar pricing you can get more data thou.

Try 8ight. They use Starhub line. $8 for 388GB.
 

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2003
Messages
82,858
Reaction score
10,173
20G enough? if watch video very fast finish
 

ryanisnothuman

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
6
20G enough? if watch video very fast finish
for me it's fairly enough. i only watch long videos on yt and nf during commute. monthly usage ard 15GB
if watching short videos, or deeply using Chinese Apps (eg WeChat, Taobao, Xiaohongshu/Rednote), afraid you'll need much much more...
 

ryanisnothuman

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
6
Imo the quality or stability should be the same or at least on par with their mvno, giga, since it is direct from starhub. But during peak hours or blindspots, I can't say for sure

Is your main line Singtel,M1 or Simba?
If so, if I were you, I would just try it out since it's just secondary data line;)
my main line under Simba... would've ported out if i hadn’t topped up too much from their previous promotions... for their signal really unbearable
 

sibeiTrolled

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,025
Reaction score
1,635
my main line under Simba... would've ported out if i hadn’t topped up too much from their previous promotions... for their signal really unbearable
Lol.
Then no choice, have to go in blind to the data only core plan then

Not sure how much you topped up lol
If don't want to waste, probably just stay till whatever you paid for ends and just ignore the free credit.

Either way, you can just get a new number and jump around to each mno or mvno like a kangaroo :D
 

Jirachi

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
55,179
Reaction score
3,196
my main line under Simba... would've ported out if i hadn’t topped up too much from their previous promotions... for their signal really unbearable
Remember to tell IMDA that you oppose to M1-SIMBA merger.
 

Asus80

Master Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
2,648
Reaction score
286
yesterday i get 2 starhub data plan $5 is using star plan but i tested eight 5G DL 125, UL 38 vs Starhub 5G DL 289, UL 68. Eight 4G DL 38, UL 11 vs starhub 4G DL 110, UL 51. both Line tested on 5G Router & 4G Router
 

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,481
Reaction score
6,813
yesterday i get 2 starhub data plan $5 is using star plan but i tested eight 5G DL 125, UL 38 vs Starhub 5G DL 289, UL 68. Eight 4G DL 38, UL 11 vs starhub 4G DL 110, UL 51. both Line tested on 5G Router & 4G Router
IMHO.
If Starhub and Eight don't share. Likely

More people using Eight 5G
Less people using Eight 4G
 

hereiam7788

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
5,261
Reaction score
1,005
I’m actually looking for a data-only plan with better CP value to use as a secondary backup data line. It doesn’t need to support calls or SMS. I’ve previously tried MyRepublic’s $4.20 data-only plan and SIMBA’s $5 data-only plan, but both of them only run on 4G instead of 5G (SIMBA’s 5G isn’t true 5G, with questionable signal stability).

MyRepublic’s $4.20 data-only plan (already discontinued) only offered 4GB of full-speed data per month. Even if network speed and coverage weren’t an issue, that data quota was simply too small.

Recently, I noticed that StarHub has quietly launched two 5G data-only SIM plans, and the $5 plan with 20GB per month seems sufficient for me as a backup data line. However, I’ve never used any StarHub MNO plans before, so I’d really appreciate insights from anyone who’s familiar with this offering. For example:
- Does this data-only SIM offer the same signal quality and speeds as StarHub’s regular 5G plans?
- Does the data-only SIM come with a mobile number that can receive SMS or incoming calls? if accidentally make a call or send an SMS (if possible), how would it charge?
- What happens after the 20GB data quota is used up? Is there any pay-per-use charge?

fcbO4Sf.md.jpg
https://consumer.starhub.com/personal/store/mobile-plans (navigate to "5G Data only")

Thanks in advance for any insights or experiences shared 😊
it is only a $5 thingy, still need to think so much?!
 

Multiversal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 6, 2020
Messages
24,861
Reaction score
8,142
for me it's fairly enough. i only watch long videos on yt and nf during commute. monthly usage ard 15GB
if watching short videos, or deeply using Chinese Apps (eg WeChat, Taobao, Xiaohongshu/Rednote), afraid you'll need much much more...
I am using Simba. $5 every month. Comes with 500gb, SMS, talktime and even roaming.

4G. Volte whatever.

I am now posting this on Simba. I do online shopping on Shopee, Lazada, TikTok using Simba. I Whatsapp with it and even upload pictures. And I watch YouTube with Simba. Sometimes I watch those cat videos and China movies on Simba.

So far so good. Why the need for 5G. Even if you give me 100G, the speed of the phone performance is ultimately constrained by the speed of my typing.

The only thing I don't do with my $195 Vivo Y18 phone is to watch porn with it.
 

Multiversal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 6, 2020
Messages
24,861
Reaction score
8,142
my main line under Simba... would've ported out if i hadn’t topped up too much from their previous promotions... for their signal really unbearable
You return to JB every night after work? I have no issues with it at all. I am sinkies living in my own motherland.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top