Is the HDD spoilt?

wolnavi

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2013
Messages
705
Reaction score
3
Hey guys, I have a friend that has a laptop (warranty no more). His laptop has 1x WD Blue HDD that the laptop cannot recognize (no bootable devices found). I tried to load a Windows 10 installation/repair USB but it takes forever to load, I tried Ubuntu and it boots but doesn’t respond to any touchpad clicks/keyboard inputs/mouse clicks

So I took out the HDD and plugged into his desktop via SATA, on his desktop Windows 10, the drive is recognizable and can access other folders but loading into the Users folder takes forever, so I tried to boot into Ubuntu again on his desktop via a thumbdrive and everything can access normally

SMART data from crystaldiskinfo shows everything is fine, anyone know what’s the issue? Thanks
 

SiaoAngMoh

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2000
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
29
If the drive is formatted as NTFS and Windows takes a long time to access folders but Linux can access without issues, check the permissions.

Take ownership of the entire drive under Windows when connected to the desktop. (It will take some time to perform this, just leave it running). Afterwards, if there are no issues then you know it was a permissions problem.

Linux doesn't respect NTFS file permissions, which could be why it can access the drive without a problem.
 

wolnavi

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2013
Messages
705
Reaction score
3
If the drive is formatted as NTFS and Windows takes a long time to access folders but Linux can access without issues, check the permissions.

Take ownership of the entire drive under Windows when connected to the desktop. (It will take some time to perform this, just leave it running). Afterwards, if there are no issues then you know it was a permissions problem.

Linux doesn't respect NTFS file permissions, which could be why it can access the drive without a problem.

Oo I see... ok thanks I’ll try again on Monday when I have access to the drive
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top