Is West Sun a no go??

mc_007

Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
117
Reaction score
3
I am interested in a condo unit but its facing west and will kena west sun.

Any feedback on how's living with west sun? Is it that hot?
 

halfnode

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2008
Messages
1,144
Reaction score
259
Having stayed in a house with partial west sun, the answer:
It’s super hot and have to factor in climate change it’s only going to get worse.

The curtains, window film blockers etc all doesn’t really help.

only way real way to cool down is aircon.
 

abutan

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
1,342
Reaction score
27
cons of west sun: super hot in the late afternoon, yes aircon helps but we cant be turning it on every day in the afternoon and at night.

pros of west sun: house is very bright and good for drying clothes.

some houses get west sun 365 days while some only get hit at times of the year. i find that suncalc.org helps in seeing if a property gets hit by west sun or not.
 

Laneige

Honorary Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
115,115
Reaction score
16,772
I am interested in a condo unit but its facing west and will kena west sun.

Any feedback on how's living with west sun? Is it that hot?
I dropped a deal because the west sun will go into the whole house even thought I like how spacious it’s going to be n price is reasonable n considered unblock view

I don’t want to be bbq in own home n don’t want to face prob selling next time when ppl hiam west sun too
Don’t want to put down blind n can’t enjoy the partial unblocked view
 

Bam25th

Master Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2020
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
3,258
My house got west Sun but I almost didn’t notice it.

95% of the time I or anyone else apart from my maid won’t be home when the Sun is setting. The period where the west Sun actually affects the house is quite short (max 2 hours).

In the very rare occasion I’m at home, I’m in my room with aircon on, so I didn’t notice it too.


So, west Sun totally didn’t affect me. Can’t say for all though, but I’m pleasantly surprised it didn’t affect me and thus happy I decided to buy this current house despite the agent initially warning me about the west Sun etc
 

halfnode

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2008
Messages
1,144
Reaction score
259
My house got west Sun but I almost didn’t notice it.

95% of the time I or anyone else apart from my maid won’t be home when the Sun is setting. The period where the west Sun actually affects the house is quite short (max 2 hours).

In the very rare occasion I’m at home, I’m in my room with aircon on, so I didn’t notice it too.


So, west Sun totally didn’t affect me. Can’t say for all though, but I’m pleasantly surprised it didn’t affect me and thus happy I decided to buy this current house despite the agent initially warning me about the west Sun etc
2hrs isn't really west sun, it needs to be having it from noon onwards to sunset that’s west sun, yours is just partial so not that bad.
 

Bam25th

Master Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2020
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
3,258
2hrs isn't really west sun, it needs to be having it from noon onwards to sunset that’s west sun, yours is just partial so not that bad.
Hmmm weird, I’m sure mine is full west Sun.

All my windows faced west, and there’s open space with nothing in front blocking.

But the effects are so mild that I didn’t really notice. Only in the evening when the full sun shines in.

But then again, as mentioned, due to work/study, almost no one at home most of the time. And when at home, we are in the room with aircon during the day….

Only at night we are in living room to watch tv etc
 

qhong61

Banned
Joined
Nov 3, 2015
Messages
73,041
Reaction score
12,227
My house got west Sun but I almost didn’t notice it.

95% of the time I or anyone else apart from my maid won’t be home when the Sun is setting. The period where the west Sun actually affects the house is quite short (max 2 hours).

In the very rare occasion I’m at home, I’m in my room with aircon on, so I didn’t notice it too.


So, west Sun totally didn’t affect me. Can’t say for all though, but I’m pleasantly surprised it didn’t affect me and thus happy I decided to buy this current house despite the agent initially warning me about the west Sun etc
More electricity
 

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,388
Reaction score
1,861
west sun definitely a nono.

Those who say of some pros of it is just to defend their purchases. To make do and feel good about it hehe.

That is why nowadays BTOs all made nearly north south facing instead.
 

googoogaga

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2009
Messages
1,485
Reaction score
601
If you buy a detached house. No chance to avoid west sun. Can allocate west side as laundry and yard area. And use blinds.
 

Bam25th

Master Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2020
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
3,258
More electricity
Not really.

I didn’t make any changes to my habits and lifestyles when I moved from a non-west sun house to a west Sun house.

I guess it’s really up to the individual. If you work from home whole day then maybe a west Sun house isn’t suitable.

If everyone in your house work/study full time, and like to stay in room to play games etc on the few stay home non-working days, then you wouldn’t really be bothered by west Sun.
 

halfnode

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2008
Messages
1,144
Reaction score
259
Hmmm weird, I’m sure mine is full west Sun.

All my windows faced west, and there’s open space with nothing in front blocking.

But the effects are so mild that I didn’t really notice. Only in the evening when the full sun shines in.

But then again, as mentioned, due to work/study, almost no one at home most of the time. And when at home, we are in the room with aircon during the day….

Only at night we are in living room to watch tv etc
Yar that’s why you don’t really feel the heat cause of the aircon during the day already helps to cool the house
 

䏣炆玧示老太

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2021
Messages
23,612
Reaction score
7,408
I am interested in a condo unit but its facing west and will kena west sun.

Any feedback on how's living with west sun? Is it that hot?
buy for own stay no
rent for short stay still ok
buy to rent out then good luck finding accomodating tenants
 

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,388
Reaction score
1,861
just simply avoid buying west facing units to avoid all this unnecessary issue. So simple haha..

So many units be it condo or HDB that is north facing.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top