Israel / Jordan Trip

march90

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2014
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Has anyone been to Jordan / Israel?

I'm planning a solo (female) trip to Jordan then to Israel (overland) over the two public holidays in May. If time permits, I'm thinking of going to Dahab, Egypt to do some diving.

Would appreciate and tips and advice (like the must sees besides Petra etc). :)

Thanks!
 

butterbarter

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
1,714
Reaction score
0
I did this a few years ago, but I'm a guy.

What do you intend to see/do, and how many days do you have? Are you planning to do the crossing from Amman or near Petra?

Must sees would indeed be Petra. I would recommend at least 2 days for Petra, although some people rush through it in 1 afternoon. I took an early morning bus from Amman to Petra, then back to Amman 2 days later. From Amman, I took a taxi to the border crossing, took the special bus to the Israeli side, and then finally another bus to Jerusalem.

Other must sees are the Dead Sea and of course Jerusalem. Other places of interest to Christians would be Bethlehem, Nazareth, and River Jordan. Amman is a jumpoff point but itself doesn't have much in way of tourist attractions.

If crossing from Amman, you'll be using the King Hussein Bridge (called the Allenby Bridge in Israel). At the Israeli immigration, you'll get your passport stamped. You can request for your passport not to be stamped, and they'll instead stamp a piece of paper attached to your passport. Some people do this because some conservative Islamic countries do not allow entry to tourists with an Israeli stamp in their passports.

I didn't do this though, because I also heard this request may piss off the Israeli immigration guy and he may refuse you entry into Israel.

Bring some US dollars to change into israeli shekels at the border as there were no ATMs when I was there. Then grab a shuttle bus from the border into Jerusalem.

Jerusalem is divided into the largely Jewish West and the Muslim East. The West is much more developed and modern. The East is more rundown. The difference in the level of development between the 2 sides is quite striking.

I didn't know this when I went, so I unknowingly booked a hotel in the east, on Mt Olive. So each night I had to walk past groups of disillusioned or disenchanted youths. Once a group of Palestinian youths asked me where I was from, and then uttered "I kill you". Now he was likely just pranking me, but as the only foreigner in a largely Palestinian environment, that sounded quite uncomfortable. If I could do it again, I would probably stay in Western Jerusalem.

Has anyone been to Jordan / Israel?

I'm planning a solo (female) trip to Jordan then to Israel (overland) over the two public holidays in May. If time permits, I'm thinking of going to Dahab, Egypt to do some diving.

Would appreciate and tips and advice (like the must sees besides Petra etc). :)

Thanks!
 
Last edited:

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
9,670
Reaction score
1,382
Petra definitely must visit. Minimum 2 days, there are many places to explore. A lot of walking. the outer souq itself is almost 1.5km long. Sunsets in the desert is amazing !

Dahab is a really chill place to relax .. at least when I was there in 2003.
Diving there is good, some sites like Blue Hole has difficult entry point.
From Dahab, u can :
1) take a day trip to dive Sharm El Shiekh
2) sign up to dive the Thistlegorm Wreck (caution: only for experienced divers who can take care of themselves as dive operation leaves much to be desired)
3) take a trip to climb Mount St Catherine to watch the sunrise. It was quite an experience for us. For us, it was un-guided 4hr climb in the middle of the night in full moon. Best to hook up with other travellers in Dahab.

Boat schedules between Nuweiba and Aqaba ports were not so frequent back then.
 

march90

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2014
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Wow! Thanks for your advice! I'm planning be in the Middle East for about 16 days. Was the border crossing difficult? Was it hard to find the bus?

I did this a few years ago, but I'm a guy.

What do you intend to see/do, and how many days do you have? Are you planning to do the crossing from Amman or near Petra?

Must sees would indeed be Petra. I would recommend at least 2 days for Petra, although some people rush through it in 1 afternoon. I took an early morning bus from Amman to Petra, then back to Amman 2 days later. From Amman, I took a taxi to the border crossing, took the special bus to the Israeli side, and then finally another bus to Jerusalem.

Other must sees are the Dead Sea and of course Jerusalem. Other places of interest to Christians would be Bethlehem, Nazareth, and River Jordan. Amman is a jumpoff point but itself doesn't have much in way of tourist attractions.

If crossing from Amman, you'll be using the King Hussein Bridge (called the Allenby Bridge in Israel). At the Israeli immigration, you'll get your passport stamped. You can request for your passport not to be stamped, and they'll instead stamp a piece of paper attached to your passport. Some people do this because some conservative Islamic countries do not allow entry to tourists with an Israeli stamp in their passports.

I didn't do this though, because I also heard this request may piss off the Israeli immigration guy and he may refuse you entry into Israel.

Bring some US dollars to change into israeli shekels at the border as there were no ATMs when I was there. Then grab a shuttle bus from the border into Jerusalem.

Jerusalem is divided into the largely Jewish West and the Muslim East. The West is much more developed and modern. The East is more rundown. The difference in the level of development between the 2 sides is quite striking.

I didn't know this when I went, so I unknowingly booked a hotel in the east, on Mt Olive. So each night I had to walk past groups of disillusioned or disenchanted youths. Once a group of Palestinian youths asked me where I was from, and then uttered "I kill you". Now he was likely just pranking me, but as the only foreigner in a largely Palestinian environment, that sounded quite uncomfortable. If I could do it again, I would probably stay in Western Jerusalem.
 

march90

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2014
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Diving at Sharm El Shiekh sounds awesome! I'm not too sure about diving the Blue Hole as I've only about 20+ dives logged. :D

Petra definitely must visit. Minimum 2 days, there are many places to explore. A lot of walking. the outer souq itself is almost 1.5km long. Sunsets in the desert is amazing !

Dahab is a really chill place to relax .. at least when I was there in 2003.
Diving there is good, some sites like Blue Hole has difficult entry point.
From Dahab, u can :
1) take a day trip to dive Sharm El Shiekh
2) sign up to dive the Thistlegorm Wreck (caution: only for experienced divers who can take care of themselves as dive operation leaves much to be desired)
3) take a trip to climb Mount St Catherine to watch the sunrise. It was quite an experience for us. For us, it was un-guided 4hr climb in the middle of the night in full moon. Best to hook up with other travellers in Dahab.

Boat schedules between Nuweiba and Aqaba ports were not so frequent back then.
 

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
9,670
Reaction score
1,382
Diving at Sharm El Shiekh sounds awesome! I'm not too sure about diving the Blue Hole as I've only about 20+ dives logged. :D

do note the water temp.
I was there in Apr and water temp can be cold. have to wear 5mm top & bottom. so needed more weight & movement restrictive. Water was crystal clear & corals colorful.
Dahab diving mostly drift diving along drop-off so buoyancy is important (ie u dont see the bottom).
It's well known for tech/deep diving destination ... many met their makers there. Friends & family remember them by RIP plaques at entry point to those dive sites :(

Sharm is a marine park, dives there were relatively easy. Napolean wrasse there as big as a person underwater !

Best skip Thistlegorm.
 

march90

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2014
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I'll be there early May so hopefully it won't be too cold. Yes! I saw a documentary on all those that dived and died there...scary!

do note the water temp.
I was there in Apr and water temp can be cold. have to wear 5mm top & bottom. so needed more weight & movement restrictive. Water was crystal clear & corals colorful.
Dahab diving mostly drift diving along drop-off so buoyancy is important (ie u dont see the bottom).
It's well known for tech/deep diving destination ... many met their makers there. Friends & family remember them by RIP plaques at entry point to those dive sites :(

Sharm is a marine park, dives there were relatively easy. Napolean wrasse there as big as a person underwater !

Best skip Thistlegorm.
 

butterbarter

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
1,714
Reaction score
0
No, the border crossing was easy. I stayed at a hotel in Amman before crossing in the morning, so I just asked for a hotel taxi.

The bus leaves from the Jordanian immigration to the Israeli side regularly, so not a big deal. Just stamp out of Jordan, and wait for the bus to show up.

As i said, make sure you have some USD or Euro to change to Israeli shekels at the sole money changer at the Israeli side. Outside, there is a bus counter to get a shuttle bus ticket.

Are you going to Tel Aviv? You can go to Tel Aviv to catch your flight out of Israel or return to Jordan and fly from Amman.

In the Muslim parts of Middle east, there are mosques everywhere, and they use loudspeakers for their morning prayers at 5+am every day. So I suggest bringing a pair of earplugs if you want to sleep well. But be careful, I used earplugs and couldn't hear my alarm clock and was almost late to the airport. Luckily, I woke up just in time!

Wow! Thanks for your advice! I'm planning be in the Middle East for about 16 days. Was the border crossing difficult? Was it hard to find the bus?
 

Peony牡丹

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2015
Messages
482
Reaction score
0
Thank Is it very silly if you go Israel without going to the Dead Sea?

Which airlines you guys took?

How do you travel between different states/ towns in Israel?
 
Last edited:

butterbarter

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
1,714
Reaction score
0
Dead Sea is highly recommended for the unique experience. You can visit the Dead Sea from either Israel or Jordan.

You can travel by bus or day tour. Ask the hotel. Hotels will usually have a partner travel agent that arranges tours and travel for all the hotel guests. You can see their brochures at the hotel counters. Just ask the hotel to call the agent to inquire. That is the easiest.


Peony牡丹;111818114 said:
Thank Is it very silly if you go Israel without going to the Dead Sea?

Which airlines you guys took?

How do you travel between different states/ towns in Israel?
 

le_munchkin

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2017
Messages
546
Reaction score
0
Has anyone done Egypt/Jordan? Is 8 days enough to cover them or should I just stick to one
 

Peony牡丹

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2015
Messages
482
Reaction score
0
Anyone knows the custom regulations entering Israel? Is it as restrict as Australia?

Food stuffs like rice, sauce pouch can bring? Instant noodle?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top