Job Offer For Vietnam

  • Need help?
    Reach out to someone from Samaritans of Singapore (24 hours): Call 1-767 or WhatsApp 9151-1767 More info

Granzon

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
579
Reaction score
0
I am offered a job for Vietnam, Hanoi. I have been working in Sg for many years and had a few years regional exposure in South East Asia (frequency is about once a month for one week) in the course of my career.

This job offer, however requires me to stay in Hanoi permanently. There is one major pull factor which is my mom in Sg. Though her health is still ok now and she is still relatively mobile for her age, I always have this morbid fear that she will suddenly pass away while I am in Hanoi and I cannot rush back. Her health, as I said seems ok now but who knows what will happen at any time.

The company only offers 1 free trip back to Sg per year.

I would like to see my mum more often and one way I thought of is to fly back on a Friday night and go back to Hanoi on a Sun night. Of course, doing the above on a regular basis is going to rack up the bills. But this seems the only way which I can see my mom regularly while not affecting my leave which is also limited.

Like to seek some opinions or advice from frequent weekend travelers or anyone in a similar work situation as me to see if what I was contemplating (the weekend travel) is practical. Or how I can save some money doing the bookings. Advice from all will be greatly appreciated, especially from the been there, done that.
 

kitkat2

Master Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2012
Messages
2,760
Reaction score
244
hanoi is just 3 hours away from singapore. i know lots of family men and women commute to work in singapore from kl from every week on bus and the travel takes at least 6 hours.

you need to overcome your fear and let go a little. there is little you can do for unpredictable events. it can happen even if you are based in singapore and what if you are on a week long biz trip and something struck?

if you want to relocate abroad, you better do it now while your mom is still strong and healthy. is relocation still a possibility 3 or 5 years down the road when your mom become older and frail?
 

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,435
Reaction score
76
I would suggest u go for it since your mum is still healthy. If not now, when? Anyway, do you have relatives or a sibling? They can help look after also.

I did the same when the opportunity came. Discussed with her and got her blessings to leave.

I was based in Latin America and my flights were easily 27 hours with 2 transits. I got a free flight every 3 months back. If you are in Hanoi, they should fly you back weekly, or at least once a month. Once a year is a joke. It a 3.5 hour flight. Don't be short changed.
 
Last edited:

natas

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,244
Reaction score
532
Like to seek some opinions or advice from frequent weekend travelers or anyone in a similar work situation as me to see if what I was contemplating (the weekend travel) is practical. Or how I can save some money doing the bookings. Advice from all will be greatly appreciated, especially from the been there, done that.

I have been working out of SG for 10 yrs. Based in BKK, JKT, PP and currently in HAN... Fly back to SG regularly. There are SQ, VN, Vietjet, Scoot flying this route. Air ticket depending on which u want to fly, about 200 plus. SQ/Silkair sometimes also 200 plus. So try to check the price regularly.

Which business sector are u in? HAN is good place to save money, cause u won't be spending much :D
 

foxer77

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
8,664
Reaction score
1,155
whatapp & wechat etc ....can do video chat often no need to keep flying back....
 

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2016
Messages
46,418
Reaction score
20
I am offered a job for Vietnam, Hanoi. I have been working in Sg for many years and had a few years regional exposure in South East Asia (frequency is about once a month for one week) in the course of my career.

This job offer, however requires me to stay in Hanoi permanently. There is one major pull factor which is my mom in Sg. Though her health is still ok now and she is still relatively mobile for her age, I always have this morbid fear that she will suddenly pass away while I am in Hanoi and I cannot rush back. Her health, as I said seems ok now but who knows what will happen at any time.

The company only offers 1 free trip back to Sg per year.

I would like to see my mum more often and one way I thought of is to fly back on a Friday night and go back to Hanoi on a Sun night. Of course, doing the above on a regular basis is going to rack up the bills. But this seems the only way which I can see my mom regularly while not affecting my leave which is also limited.

Like to seek some opinions or advice from frequent weekend travelers or anyone in a similar work situation as me to see if what I was contemplating (the weekend travel) is practical. Or how I can save some money doing the bookings. Advice from all will be greatly appreciated, especially from the been there, done that.

you never mention how much is your salary and the welfare.
 

sacrificium

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2001
Messages
25,963
Reaction score
3,389
You can plan your trips back early to save cost.

I am offered a job for Vietnam, Hanoi. I have been working in Sg for many years and had a few years regional exposure in South East Asia (frequency is about once a month for one week) in the course of my career.

This job offer, however requires me to stay in Hanoi permanently. There is one major pull factor which is my mom in Sg. Though her health is still ok now and she is still relatively mobile for her age, I always have this morbid fear that she will suddenly pass away while I am in Hanoi and I cannot rush back. Her health, as I said seems ok now but who knows what will happen at any time.

The company only offers 1 free trip back to Sg per year.

I would like to see my mum more often and one way I thought of is to fly back on a Friday night and go back to Hanoi on a Sun night. Of course, doing the above on a regular basis is going to rack up the bills. But this seems the only way which I can see my mom regularly while not affecting my leave which is also limited.

Like to seek some opinions or advice from frequent weekend travelers or anyone in a similar work situation as me to see if what I was contemplating (the weekend travel) is practical. Or how I can save some money doing the bookings. Advice from all will be greatly appreciated, especially from the been there, done that.
 

mngedo

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2006
Messages
756
Reaction score
7
I can understand your concerns as i was oncd in a similar situation. Does your mum have other people in the family? Like siblings.
These are important factors to consider. If she is very close with her siblings and has other support, she will be able to fill her time and remain active. The supports would also be able to help look after her when you are away so it gives you a peace of mind. 1 year pass very quickly... Once you settled down, You could also bring her over for a while to look at the place you are staying. I would say that your mum will be equally concern for you as you are for her. Opportunity only come once and if you are in for the experience, go for it.
 

mngedo

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2006
Messages
756
Reaction score
7
Further to add i noted that the job require you to relocate "permanently" but really you are the one to decide. Don't put too much stress on yourself, if the place/job is not for you, you must have the option to pull out. :) all the best to you!
 

Granzon

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
579
Reaction score
0
Thanks for all the replies.

I have received the format for the employment letter but it turns out that it is both in Vietnamese and English. I will feel more comfortable (and less disconcerting) if the whole employment letter is in English. But at the same time, I don't wish to come across as being too particular. But this is a contract after all and the presence of the foreign language is a distraction. The company is an international company though so I just feel it is kind of weird that they don't have a full English format employment letter.

Does anyone have experience with overseas employment letter being in dual languages and if so what did u do about it? Did you request for an all English employment letter (and if so, what was the reason you gave) and or did you just sign the employment letter in the dual language format?

On a side note, does anyone whom has worked in Hanoi know how fast (or slow) the internet speed is there? I hoped their infrastructure is good enough as I have been so used to the internet speed here. I will probably be staying in a serviced apartment there.
 
Last edited:

kitkat2

Master Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2012
Messages
2,760
Reaction score
244
Does anyone have experience with overseas employment letter being in dual languages and if so what did u do about it? Did you request for an all English employment letter (and if so, what was the reason you gave) and or did you just sign the employment letter in the dual language format?

On a side note, does anyone whom has worked in Hanoi know how fast (or slow) the internet speed is there? I hoped their infrastructure is good enough as I have been so used to the internet speed here. I will probably be staying in a serviced apartment there.

use a translation service?

free internet at a cafe in hanoi. is this fast to you?

qlweelM.jpg
 

doran_lum

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2002
Messages
1,296
Reaction score
2
It depends where is the location of the business infrastructure you are connecting to. For me I have to connect to servers in Europe so it's really painful for me while I was in HCMC. If your infra are still within Asia, it might not be so bad. If you just need internet connection, it should be ok. For example when I browse qoo10 or carousel, I feel the slight difference.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3010 using GAGT
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top