jogging and motivation thread

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
Sweaty hands? I didn't have issue tearing the saurus gels. But I have problem with the sis Isotonic gels, which I didn't use for SCSM.
The sourness of Saurus gel is something that need get use to though.
Use mouth to open. Sometimes I never tear properly then got to use mouth already.

Saurus too sour and watery
Aminovital kinda sweet but I like the taste and texture
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,344
Reaction score
7,973
To those who have higher risk appetites to try non western brand, the most cost saving pro gel is WINs gel recommend by @WussRedXLi here before. Very cheap on PDD. They are pro level grade, i.e they provide 45g of carb In the correct type of sugar ratio for easy absorbtion. It's like 60rmb for 10 packets, that like $1.20 per pack. Cheap enough for training session to get yourself accustomed to the gel. It's pro gel, i.e. it compares with Sis beta fuel or meurten gels..
 

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,787
Reaction score
1,794
Sweaty hands? I didn't have issue tearing the saurus gels. But I have problem with the sis Isotonic gels, which I didn't use for SCSM.
The sourness of Saurus gel is something that need get use to though.
Sweaty palms. Could not tear a single one of them. brought them home instead. Haven't even tried lol
 

xllms

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2001
Messages
9,230
Reaction score
5,129
Ya, usually just hightlights.
But Japanese race is more drama cause almost every runners will have that all out face, or that last burst, 'arrrrrr' face.
not just the runners, commentators are more dramatic in their expressions.
By nature, Japanese behaviors are quite expressive or dramantic. As tourists we only see the surface of the society which is refrained and cultured. This dialectics is also what makes Japanese culture interesting.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
a youtube video with the same essence you shared


BTW i share one tip for the middle aged folks here mindful of performance. How zhun is that for the individuals here i don't know lah, so see if anyone here believes it.

Best not to take any long breaks and more or less maintain that same "routine"....... there can be peaking for races but it should not be radically different from your usual life. eg your normal days you can run 20 mins 5k, better not aim to peak 17:xx or even 16:xx for that 1 special race in the year. I think half and full marathon distances lagi more tricky.

I cant find the other good video from another coach, but this one also captures the bulk of it.
Basically is you'd need to maintain consistency throughout the year and the off period cannot be too OFF and prolonged, coz it takes time to ramp back up. That one has a graph to illustrates things and it's very clear, but i cant find the vid.


This coach even says 5 to 10% training increase in volume per MONTH, not per week. 🤣

So best to find something that one can love doing and if possible make a true hobby out of it so that it does not get draggy...... build that routine.

 
Last edited:

Kuudere

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
25,952
Reaction score
17,191
I like pure energy gels. Actually u can start with trying a few from decathlon. They sell many brands including SIS, Pure and in house. My mistake in SCSM was going for amino vital despite not trying it out prior thoroughly as I saw it on the cheap. Also relying on topping up with the in race amino saurus gels was also a mistake as I could not tear any of them LOL
I intend to test the gels once my leg recovers. Can try during long run. 😂 Need to figure out which works for me first.
Used to not take gel for HM and felt wasn't needed as wasn't that worn out and recovered fast enough the next day to resume training. But the first time I took gel was only last year income eco run. PB , despite stopping at drink station to take in gel for about 20sec and negative split with enough energy reserve for last 2km to run at my anaerobic pace for final burst.
Income eco run sounds like a good race, I might go for this since I want to try out gels during race conditions in the early morning.

I was able to run 3km anaerobic out of the last 5km, before I blow out into cramp. Just something for me to keep in mind in future races, that I can only go aggressive in the last 3km 😅
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
Used to not take gel for HM and felt wasn't needed as wasn't that worn out and recovered fast enough the next day to resume training. But the first time I took gel was only last year income eco run. PB , despite stopping at drink station to take in gel for about 20sec and negative split with enough energy reserve for last 2km to run at my anaerobic pace for final burst.

Gels take as little as 3-5 mins to kick in. HFCS from drinks (like my fav Kangshifu, 4.0 to as much as 11.2g/100ml) around 10 mins. Snacks like choc probably a little more.

But for those who rely regularly on snacks / sugary drinks for nearly every session (like me 😓) , i think better to maintain higher muscle mass, including upper body.

But no need to overdo it, the vids from GCN / GTN tested, even for very very fit ex-pros, dont get over 40g/hr in terms of oxidation rate. So can base consumption rate on this...
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,276
Reaction score
11,573
I like pure energy gels. Actually u can start with trying a few from decathlon. They sell many brands including SIS, Pure and in house. My mistake in SCSM was going for amino vital despite not trying it out prior thoroughly as I saw it on the cheap. Also relying on topping up with the in race amino saurus gels was also a mistake as I could not tear any of them LOL

Every packet need to snip a bit at the jagged edges during race. If taking and eating at the station then no issue, free flow. 🤣
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top