jogging and motivation thread

Mila Azul

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2018
Messages
17,652
Reaction score
5,734
Not a pro and i have no issue with knee pain for quite long......not sure if got links with this one




I've noticed that my knee feels better since following the video and doing more leg raises. This morning, I tested it with stretching, leg raises, and a brisk walk, and my knee didn't hurt as much as before.


Let's hope it's not a placebo and I don't feel the pain tomorrow. 🤞
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,344
Reaction score
7,973
How did you recover from Achilles Tendonitis?

I think I am suffering from the same injury as well. Can’t believe I went thru SCSM with the pain haha. The pain just won’t go away despite me reducing the volume and intensity. Whenever it felt better and I increase either the volume or intensity, the pain come back again so I guess it’s finally time to reset and treat the injury before running again.

Today just went acupuncture. Will see how it feels after a week. If not then physiotherapy already although private physio damm ex
Suffered achilles tendonitis quite sometime pre covid. It was during the phase where minimalist running are gaining popularity, I also jumped into the trend. Problem is I didn't gradually transit, and ran the usual mileage in zero drop foot wear. So after a couple of months kenna. Location is at the back of my right heel bone.

Suffered more than a year trying various youtube strength training, and nothing works. It didn't get better, so I decided to take a break from running, the rest it for 3 months. I thought this should work, but on the first run, the felt the pain almost immediately and the intensity of the pain is the same as before. It didn't get better with full rest. A fellow strava runner suggested I use high heel drop shoes.

So a new rehab phase of running with only shoes with 8mm to 10mm heel drop, firm mid sole. Low mileage, but high consistency, i.e I ran like 5 days a week, but only 2 to 5 km. I don't know for how long, maybe 3 or 4 weeks, I start to rotate in lower drop shoes. And occasionally zero dropped by 3 or 4 months when I think I am completely healed. So it took about 1.5 years to finally get back to normal. But most of these time is trying out solutions that didn't work.

My thoughts after my experience is
1. complete rest is useless. The pain after complete rest of 3 month is the same.
2. Regress loading, by shortening the stretch of the tendon via high heel drop shoes and firm mid sole while running. Avoid sudden accelerated stretch with high push off, so I didn't do any high interval training during the rehab. So it just easy run and at most hit grey zone tempo run occasionally. These rehab phase you will feel under trained, but bo bian, can't over stretch it also can't give it high accelerate pulling of tendon.
Forgot to add, avoid hill training. Uphill training will also over stretch your tendon.
3. Strength trainings, personally I find them useless in my case. But this is just me, coz scientifically this should work, so I can't explain for my case. Did calve raise, eccentric and concentric. But I think maybe it's the zero or over stretching when done on a ledge that aggravated an injured tendon. Just my speculation, so listen to your physio on strength training for better guidance, not me.
4. After it healed. try to have on pair of low or zero drop shoes or sandal in your rotation to bullet proof the tendon. Wear zero dropped sandal when walking. But do this only when it is completely healed, not while you are on rehab.
5. High frequency ( 5 days a week) with low mileage (2 to 5km) works for my rehab as opposed to low frequency with high mileage (load spikes is dangerous for injured tendon).
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
Suffered achilles tendonitis quite sometime pre covid. It was during the phase where minimalist running are gaining popularity, I also jumped into the trend. Problem is I didn't gradually transit, and ran the usual mileage in zero drop foot wear. So after a couple of months kenna. Location is at the back of my right heel bone.

Suffered more than a year trying various youtube strength training, and nothing works. It didn't get better, so I decided to take a break from running, the rest it for 3 months. I thought this should work, but on the first run, the felt the pain almost immediately and the intensity of the pain is the same as before. It didn't get better with full rest. A fellow strava runner suggested I use high heel drop shoes.

So a new rehab phase of running with only shoes with 8mm to 10mm heel drop, firm mid sole. Low mileage, but high consistency, i.e I ran like 5 days a week, but only 2 to 5 km. I don't know for how long, maybe 3 or 4 weeks, I start to rotate in lower drop shoes. And occasionally zero dropped by 3 or 4 months when I think I am completely healed. So it took about 1.5 years to finally get back to normal. But most of these time is trying out solutions that didn't work.

My thoughts after my experience is
1. complete rest is useless. The pain after complete rest of 3 month is the same.
2. Regress loading, by shortening the stretch of the tendon via high heel drop shoes and firm mid sole while running. Avoid sudden accelerated stretch with high push off, so I didn't do any high interval training during the rehab. So it just easy run and at most hit grey zone tempo run occasionally. These rehab phase you will feel under trained, but bo bian, can't over stretch it also can't give it high accelerate pulling of tendon.
Forgot to add, avoid hill training. Uphill training will also over stretch your tendon.
3. Strength trainings, personally I find them useless in my case. But this is just me, coz scientifically this should work, so I can't explain for my case. Did calve raise, eccentric and concentric. But I think maybe it's the zero or over stretching when done on a ledge that aggravated an injured tendon. Just my speculation, so listen to your physio on strength training for better guidance, not me.
4. After it healed. try to have on pair of low or zero drop shoes or sandal in your rotation to bullet proof the tendon. Wear zero dropped sandal when walking. But do this only when it is completely healed, not while you are on rehab.
5. High frequency ( 5 days a week) with low mileage (2 to 5km) works for my rehab as opposed to low frequency with high mileage (load spikes is dangerous for injured tendon).
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I tried reducing my volume and at times, it did feel better but whenever I tried to do high intensity workout(Intervals/Tempo), the pain will come back again.

I guess time to reset and get this sorted out. If not, it’s hard to string runs together on a consistent basis.
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
Go buy those China running shoes bah. Now the price is 真香 for older models
Not easy to recommend china running shoes to those that are new or recreational runners.

If you google or YouTube, “What running shoes to buy”, I don’t think any china brand running shoes will pop up haha
 

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,787
Reaction score
1,794
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I tried reducing my volume and at times, it did feel better but whenever I tried to do high intensity workout(Intervals/Tempo), the pain will come back again.

I guess time to reset and get this sorted out. If not, it’s hard to string runs together on a consistent basis.
Your mental game damn strong. In so much pain can still hit your insane times. On a more serious note, pls do recover first otherwise could be making the injury worse
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
Your mental game damn strong. In so much pain can still hit your insane times. On a more serious note, pls do recover first otherwise could be making the injury worse
I am operating at 60-70%. Think just press reset button. Can’t be running one day and then stop few days.

Will take this downtime to go gym and build some muscles.
 

xllms

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2001
Messages
9,230
Reaction score
5,129
Not easy to recommend china running shoes to those that are new or recreational runners.

If you google or YouTube, “What running shoes to buy”, I don’t think any china brand running shoes will pop up haha
western media mybfd

only enthusiasts will know. hopefully less acceptance in the west will force quality small brands to keep the price down and maintain its quality to compete.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,344
Reaction score
7,973
I am operating at 60-70%. Think just press reset button. Can’t be running one day and then stop few days.

Will take this downtime to go gym and build some muscles.
Where's the exact location of the pain? Like mine, at heel bone? Or further up?.
My case, heel bone is where tendon meets the bone, insertion point. Calves raise didn't work for me.
The thing with strength training is I didn't feel the pain when was doing my calves raise. So I thought it might work. But the moment I run, the pain sets immediately.

Forgot to mentioned in my original post, I did cross trained on stationary bike on trainer to avoid running for a few weeks. Didn't work either. Once I run, the pain sets in immediately.
 
Last edited:

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,344
Reaction score
7,973
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I tried reducing my volume and at times, it did feel better but whenever I tried to do high intensity workout(Intervals/Tempo), the pain will come back again.

I guess time to reset and get this sorted out. If not, it’s hard to string runs together on a consistent basis.
Got to stop those high intensity training temporary.
Running with high heel dropped , firm mid sole at easy pace , high frequency, low volume is what that got me healed.
1.5 years, shows if this doesn't manage well, Achilles tendonitis can become chronic.
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
Where's the exact location of the pain? Like mine, at heel bone? Or further up?.
My case, heel bone is where tendon meets the bone, insertion point. Calves raise didn't work for me.
The thing with strength training is I didn't feel the pain when was doing my calves raise. So I thought it might work. But the moment I run, the pain sets immediately.
Mine is at the calf. I can’t really pinpoint it but there is pain whenever I plant my foot down while running.

Starting, I was unable to even fully lift my leg up when running. Now I can lift my leg but there is pain in the calf.
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
Got to stop those high intensity training temporary.
Running with high heel dropped , firm mid sole at easy pace , high frequency, low volume is what that got me healed.
1.5 years, shows if this doesn't manage well, Achilles tendonitis can become chronic.
Yeah. High intensity training are the killers. I was feeling better when I was doing my easy runs but when I proceed to my intervals, the pain kicked in again.

Will stop running for this week according to the sinseh. If no improvements still, will proceed to see physio
 

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,787
Reaction score
1,794
Mine is at the calf. I can’t really pinpoint it but there is pain whenever I plant my foot down while running.

Starting, I was unable to even fully lift my leg up when running. Now I can lift my leg but there is pain in the calf.
better to see a doctor to get a diagnosis.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,344
Reaction score
7,973
Mine is at the calf. I can’t really pinpoint it but there is pain whenever I plant my foot down while running.

Starting, I was unable to even fully lift my leg up when running. Now I can lift my leg but there is pain in the calf.
Could it be shin splint? Coz tendonitis is heel bone to a few inch upward. Yours is in the calf muscle?

The pain, does it happen upon impact or when you toe off which stretches the tendon?
Shin splint, is overuse but susceptible to impact load. As for Achilles tendonitis, the pain sets in when it stretches, usually when toe off.
So is that pain happening on impact , or is it during push off. Former could be shin splint, latter could be Achilles tendonitis.

I had shin splint too, the pain is usually around an area. Where else the Achilles tendonitis is exactly at this point. Hope you get what I mean.
 
Last edited:

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
Could it be shin splint? The pain, does it happen upon impact or when you toe off which stretches the tendon?
Shin splint, is overuse but susceptible to impact load. As for Achilles tendonitis, the pain sets in when it stretches, usually when toe off.
So is that pain happening on impact , or is it during push off. Former could be shin splint, latter could be Achilles tendonitis.

I had shin splint too, the pain is usually around an area. Where else the Achilles tendonitis is exactly at this point. Hope you get what I mean.
Hmm this got me thinking haha. But I just know that my calf hurts whenever I land.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,344
Reaction score
7,973
Hmm this got me thinking haha. But I just know that my calf hurts whenever I land.
If it shin splint, there tons of info the net to rehab.
Most useful to me was tibialis raise exercise, all my runs on stadium track to reduce impact. They say calves raise, but I didn't do that. I also ran with tight calf sleeve on the affected leg to reduce wobbling of muscle during run. And reduce mileage and pace. But this one you can gauge by running with pain level, unlike Achilles tendonitis where the pain is gone after 15 minutes into the run.
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
If it shin splint, there tons of info the net to rehab.
Most useful to me was tibialis raise exercise, all my runs on stadium track to reduce impact. They say calves raise, but I didn't do that. I also ran with tight calf sleeve on the affected leg to reduce wobbling of muscle during run. And reduce mileage and pace. But this one you can gauge by running with pain level, unlike Achilles tendonitis where the pain is gone after 15 minutes into the run.
Calf raises work for me but then again, they also recommended CR for Achilles Tendonitis.

If I rest a few days, the pain will subside but you know there is a lingering pain still. But if I were to resume running like how I used to with tempo,intervals and long runs, the pain won’t go away.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top