jogging and motivation thread

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,257
Reaction score
11,571
Maltodextrin powder now 20% off with champion discount code (and add some other supplement to get to free ship)
S$50 for 3.63kg, after 20% is 82 cents for 60 grams carbs.

Go mix into your soft flask or what. Supposed to be tasteless / neutral.


https://sg.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-sports-carbo-gain-8-lbs-3-63-kg/450

kZ3PSZF.jpg
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,257
Reaction score
11,571
Actually i didn't want to say this in the past whenever i see some posts about walking bringing them to zone 1 or even zone 2.... (worse, that pax is below age 60). That's just the cardiovascular/aerobic asepct
Seriously I see the same thing as well in reality........if by the time some comorbidities crop up and limit your ability to "train", by then it's pretty late or even too late.

Below vid is about strength / power and other various factors. (power is strength times velocity, actually is a metric that seniors lose faster than strength alone due to the factor regarding motor units and aging)

Note - not talking about power walking or racewalking or some people do sessions on slopes (esp Mount Faber, Serapong, Sesuai etc)


Calf raises spotted :oops: This exercise is really so useful in so many areas/aspects.



Seems like YT algo is at it again, similar video recommended to me. (this YT channel is decently good also)

tldr - it's a good couch to get active programme, but it's just a stepping stone. Dont get stuck at this stage after a year or two, esp when you are past 40/50 when you really need to build up more in order to lead a more quality life much later on.
Walking at 10-11 min/km pace in zone 1 or zone 2 without progression esp solely on flat ground is not really sufficient. (add in decent gradients or just do stairs 3 steps at a time or something, HDB stairs climbing located just outside of your unit is boring but seriously you dont need much volume to build the strength/power, what you need is that kind of stimulus.

 
Last edited:

winningeleven

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
10,911
Reaction score
3,987
can try ASICS gel nimbus extra wide (4E)
I saw NB 1080 v14 has 4E width while I was in Tokyo recently. but I feel should get the latest v15 since it is much lighter now .

The problem is sg NB now rarely bring in 4E model of 1080.
 

LWZ

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2016
Messages
40,261
Reaction score
15,922
I saw NB 1080 v14 has 4E width while I was in Tokyo recently. but I feel should get the latest v15 since it is much lighter now .

The problem is sg NB now rarely bring in 4E model of 1080.
yeah, shoe shopping in Asia is a nightmare for bigfoots... I have an Anta PG7 (2E) in my rotation and I sometimes feel discomfort on my big toe & joint when running in it

Did you try the NB 1080 v14 ? If so, how's the support ?
 

winningeleven

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
10,911
Reaction score
3,987
Just returned from Tokyo after spending my CNY week over there.

Despite walking more than 25000 steps on average or more than 16km a day. I am not surprised I have gained 2kg after I weighted myself immediately when I back in sg. Over there ,I didn't watch my diet and having my full bf everyday plus Also ate all those sweet stuffs.. I don't like to control my diet when I go holiday . I find it is very depressing to restrict yourself because holiday is supposed to happy

For some. To walk 15km is a lot daily, but based on my running 15km in 1.5 hours. It only burned 800-900 calories. This time I realised walking burned even lesser.

I bought Asics megablast on my previous trip, this time round . I bought a adios pro 4 for $213 (26000 yens) after tax rebate . Got myself a exclusive colour that only available in Japan.
 

winningeleven

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
10,911
Reaction score
3,987
yeah, shoe shopping in Asia is a nightmare for bigfoots... I have an Anta PG7 (2E) in my rotation and I sometimes feel discomfort on my big toe & joint when running in it

Did you try the NB 1080 v14 ? If so, how's the support ?
I didn't try NB v14 before. But I read v13 is better
 

dev_stg_prd

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2024
Messages
6,774
Reaction score
3,024
Just returned from Tokyo after spending my CNY week over there.

Despite walking more than 25000 steps on average or more than 16km a day. I am not surprised I have gained 2kg after I weighted myself immediately when I back in sg. Over there ,I didn't watch my diet and having my full bf everyday plus Also ate all those sweet stuffs.. I don't like to control my diet when I go holiday . I find it is very depressing to restrict yourself because holiday is supposed to happy

For some. To walk 15km is a lot daily, but based on my running 15km in 1.5 hours. It only burned 800-900 calories. This time I realised walking burned even lesser.

I bought Asics megablast on my previous trip, this time round . I bought a adios pro 4 for $213 (26000 yens) after tax rebate . Got myself a exclusive colour that only available in Japan.
wah it's like evo SL price here..
how % are asics there since it's home ground
 

winningeleven

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
10,911
Reaction score
3,987
wah it's like evo SL price here..
how % are asics there since it's home ground
Evo SL retail at 19000 yen. Saw a audi version which is 24000 yen .

The cheapest evo SL is 13000 to 15000 yen. From ueno ameyoko. However Very limited colour available.

For Asics. The price is exactly the same as what Asics Japan listed. Still worth to buy there. I saw Superblast 2 is less than 20000 yen
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,257
Reaction score
11,571
Just returned from Tokyo after spending my CNY week over there.

Despite walking more than 25000 steps on average or more than 16km a day. I am not surprised I have gained 2kg after I weighted myself immediately when I back in sg. Over there ,I didn't watch my diet and having my full bf everyday plus Also ate all those sweet stuffs.. I don't like to control my diet when I go holiday . I find it is very depressing to restrict yourself because holiday is supposed to happy

For some. To walk 15km is a lot daily, but based on my running 15km in 1.5 hours. It only burned 800-900 calories. This time I realised walking burned even lesser.

I bought Asics megablast on my previous trip, this time round . I bought a adios pro 4 for $213 (26000 yens) after tax rebate . Got myself a exclusive colour that only available in Japan.

2kg...shd be rather easy to able to get it back down with a bit of discipline and not eating any extras/junk food back here , no issue. Just might take a bit of time, 1-2 months.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,257
Reaction score
11,571
This is what happened to Matthew Fox of Sweat Elite

He is aiming for 100-120km weekly with a fair bit of biking and stairs climbing and a lot of explosive strength work in the gym .....need to lose at least 14kg before able to really shoot for 2:15. And overall aiming to be really healthy at the same time.
Anyway, this fella is super disciplined and no nonsense one.

Actually, stairs climbing is also known to have pretty decent carry over to running......i did that from 2016 to 2019 (not a lot of volume though) just before covid struck and i switched to racewalk after P1 (at least can see the sky so more interesting lol). But just that.....it's fxxxing boring @ HDB stairwell. And for me no gym (aircon) access anyway.

 
Last edited:

rECKleSSfElla

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
9,709
Reaction score
1,051
First impression of Redhare 9U.

Feels quite similar to Xiaonian but without rocker effect.

Foot feel is slightly soft sink-in, then slight firm, then bounce.
Have you done more runs on the Redhare 9U? Which among Xiaonian and the 9U do you prefer? Or do you think these 2 shoes compliment each other and its worth having both in the rotation?
 

sales69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2003
Messages
13,554
Reaction score
8,986
Have you done more runs on the Redhare 9U? Which among Xiaonian and the 9U do you prefer? Or do you think these 2 shoes compliment each other and its worth having both in the rotation?
I had 4 runs now. But because of my plantar pain, every run felt different so I don't feel conclusive yet.

The energy rebound is there but maybe due to the high stacked cushion, the effect is quite subtle.

On a poor condition day, ran 6min to 6.15 pace. Felt sluggish and dragging along thick cushion.

On another better day, cruise 5.45 pace easily. Just run and the shoes bounce me along.

The last run, did 4 x 1km at 5.15 pace. Felt the effort was not hard at all. Probably the bounce is helping. But shoes like not very nimble although very well cushioned and stable.

Right now, I feel the Redhare 9U is good for runs where you just wanna cruise easily and want good cushioning.

Xiaonian is more nimble and speedy with the rocker. Negative is less stable. Oh ya, Xiaonian automatically increase my cadence by about 5spm.

With Redhare 9U, cadence remains roughly the same as usual.

Sidenote: walking in Redhare is very comfortable. The bounce is more noticeable during walking versus running.

I walked a relaxed 1km at 9.30s min pace. Usually with other shoes, relaxed pace is about 10mins.

Also walked at increased cadence while chasing bus. The shoes really bounce for me. :D


Edit: Other than it's striking looks, I won't pay over SG$150 for the Redhare 9U. Good thing the prices are dropping now.

Would rather pay more for Feidian 6E. That one is really bouncy and fast!
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top