Lappie Rec for and Old Timer?

leslens

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2003
Messages
5,795
Reaction score
0
Hi guys
time flies, from IT savvy to Old Timer (no time... have to rely on young blood and passion)
mind rec me a laptop with this Min Specs

1. 13 inch at least
2. SSD is a Must.
3. Bonus if comes with extra normal HD for storage
4. Light weight <1.7kg or so
5. budget is 2+k
6. No Mac/ Windows Only
7. Reliable...with a good solid build
8. Dont need good graphic card (dont game)

Thank you
Leslens
 

Unknownx

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
16
Hi, please take note I include few models without SSD coz you can replace the original HDD/hybrid HDD with SSD
About reliability... it's more like heng suay to me nowadays lol
You have quite a number of options with your budget:

Sony Vaio Pro 13 @ $1899
i5-4200U/Intel HD Graphics 4400/4GB RAM/128GB PCIe SSD/13.3" 1920x1080 touch screen/1.06kg (only got 1 slot for PCIe SSD)

Gigabyte U24F-1 @ $1699
i5-4200U/GT 750M/8GB RAM/128GB mSATA SSD/14" 1600x900/1.7kg (have 1 slot for mSATA SSD + 1 slot for 2.5" HDD)

Asus UX32LN @ $1398
i5-4200U/GT 840M/4GB RAM/500GB Hybrid HDD/13.3" 1920x1080/1.45kg (only got 1 slot for 2.5" HDD/SSD)

Acer S3-392G-54204G50t @ $1398
i5-4200U/Intel HD Graphics 4400/4GB RAM/500GB Hybrid HDD/13.3" 1366x768 touch screen/1.65kg (only got 1 slot for 2.5" HDD/SSD)

Dell Vostro 5470 @ $1199
i5-4200U/GT 740M/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/14" 1366x768/1.62kg (have 1 slot for 2.5" HDD/SSD and 1 half-sized mSATA SSD but I don't think got people selling half-sized mSATA SSD)

Asus UX32LA @ $1098
i5-4200U/Intel HD Graphics 4400/4GB RAM/500GB Hybrid HDD/13.3" 1366x768/1.45kg (only got 1 slot for 2.5" HDD)

Lenovo U330p @ $999
i5-4200U/Intel HD Graphics 4400/4GB RAM/500GB Hybrid HDD/13.3" 1366x768/1.53kg (only got 1 slot for 2.5" HDD/SSD)
 

leslens

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2003
Messages
5,795
Reaction score
0
Thanks very much for the info
i will consider the above options

How about the
Thinkpads?
Dell?
 

Unknownx

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
16
Thanks very much for the info
i will consider the above options

How about the
Thinkpads?
Dell?

Cheapest thinkpad X1 Carbon is $2499 and actually I know few people that having problems with X1 after few days of usage...

Thinkpad X240 is 1.29kg but price $1999 only with 500GB hybrid HDD

Dell latest Inspiron weight almost 2kg

Like I said mentioned earlier, it's really depends on your luck to get a set without problems :D
 

xyz_sg

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2013
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Hi guys
time flies, from IT savvy to Old Timer (no time... have to rely on young blood and passion)
mind rec me a laptop with this Min Specs

1. 13 inch at least
2. SSD is a Must.
3. Bonus if comes with extra normal HD for storage
4. Light weight <1.7kg or so
5. budget is 2+k
6. No Mac/ Windows Only
7. Reliable...with a good solid build
8. Dont need good graphic card (dont game)

Thank you
Leslens

My requirements were very similar to yours. I suggest you check Toshiba Z30 series. I bought Z30-A119 last Saturday during Megatex for 1599 SGD, its original price is 1799 SGD.

What I like with this laptop:
- 1.2 kg, Magnesium Alloy case, the build quality is very good, it has a solid build
- No on board soldered RAM like other ultrabooks, 2 slots, support up to 16GB
- 128 GB SSD
- 13 inch matte screen
- 3 years warranty (I guess this was a promotion because I bought it during Megatex)

Probably you prefer matte screen too (I hate glossy screens and hate using screen protectors). If you don't mind low resolution (1366x768, people consider this as low resolution now, but for me it is completely ok) Toshiba Z30 series is a very good option although it is a bit overpriced. After 5 days of use, I am quite happy with it.

After my previous experience with a high resolution laptop that I returned last week because of various defects, I realized that high resolution doesn't bring any advantage when you use Windows 8, it is even bringing disadvantage since when I was surfing web sites, all texts were blurry in Chrome because of scaling problem in Windows 8. So now I am quite happy with 1366x768 resolution. (I didn't try changing the resolution to a lower value but I tried disabling scaling but program menus got very small when I disabled. So in my opinion, 1366x768 is quite ok).

If you are considering to buy Lenovo, I suggest you check comments for their latest models on Amazon; at first I was planning to buy one of their Thinkpads but whatever latest model I checked, I saw many bad comments and most of the bad comments were from previous Thinkpad owners who upgraded their laptop recently.
 
Last edited:

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
19,987
Reaction score
308
how come sony one so exp ? cause of branding ?
 

Unknownx

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
16
how come sony one so exp ? cause of branding ?

Not only because of branding...
Because it also has PCIe SSD, 1080p touch screen panel, light weight for 13.3" laptop (1.06 kg), 8 hours battery life, backlit keyboard, thin and sleek
It's the lightest premium ultrabook I can think of for now...
While the Vaio Pro 11 only weight 870 gram
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top