Lappy or Macky

Jerineng

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2013
Messages
580
Reaction score
0
Can the gurus here tell mi which is beta?
normal windows laptop or MacBook?
I cannot decide which to buy :s11:

I onli use to:

1) Email
2) Surf net
3) Watch movie
4) video processing (now I using windows movie maker to make)
5) play game like diablo 3
6) simple word processing like word and excel

TIA
 

addicted-addiction

Senior Member
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
1,901
Reaction score
0
Can the gurus here tell mi which is beta?
normal windows laptop or MacBook?
I cannot decide which to buy :s11:

I onli use to:

1) Email
2) Surf net
3) Watch movie
4) video processing (now I using windows movie maker to make)
5) play game like diablo 3
6) simple word processing like word and excel

TIA
Really must see if you want to use OSX or Windows. Both will fit into your requirement except for the gaming part for OSX. OSX is rather limited on games.

If you intend to play alot games in the future, i suggest you stick to windows and get one with a discrete GPU. Macs with discrete GPUs are really really expensive :s22:
 
Last edited:

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
Can the gurus here tell mi which is beta?
normal windows laptop or MacBook?
I cannot decide which to buy :s11:

I onli use to:

1) Email
2) Surf net
3) Watch movie
4) video processing (now I using windows movie maker to make)
5) play game like diablo 3
6) simple word processing like word and excel

TIA

Windows pc by far. Macbooks are overpriced junk. You can get the specs of a 3k macbook pro in a 1.5k windows laptop.
 

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,539
Reaction score
3,115
Depends on your usage. Macs r ex cos of the build quality n OS. It's not always about specs but how the OS can cope.
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
Depends on your usage. Macs r ex cos of the build quality n OS. It's not always about specs but how the OS can cope.

Its plain expensive. A mac's build quality can't compete with a thinkpad.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
I have a mac book pro 15 once.

A hard knock when moving and it left a huge freaking dent.

Why do I spent good $ on it when the build quality should be real tough.

My thinkpad during my poly days can take it when I accidentally dropped my notebook from table height and not even a scratch to it.

I came to a conclusion that build quality isnt what I should look for in a notebook anymore. Is the insides that count not something exterior. Your notebook wont work faster with the best built quality!
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
I have a mac book pro 15 once.

A hard knock when moving and it left a huge freaking dent.

Why do I spent good $ on it when the build quality should be real tough.

My thinkpad during my poly days can take it when I accidentally dropped my notebook from table height and not even a scratch to it.

I came to a conclusion that build quality isnt what I should look for in a notebook anymore. Is the insides that count not something exterior. Your notebook wont work faster with the best built quality!

My macbook air has a huge dent because i dropped it from a chair. The chair isn't even 1m tall. More like 80-90cm.
 

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,539
Reaction score
3,115
I have a mac book pro 15 once.

A hard knock when moving and it left a huge freaking dent.

Why do I spent good $ on it when the build quality should be real tough.

My thinkpad during my poly days can take it when I accidentally dropped my notebook from table height and not even a scratch to it.

I came to a conclusion that build quality isnt what I should look for in a notebook anymore. Is the insides that count not something exterior. Your notebook wont work faster with the best built quality!

Build quality should not be confused with getting dents and scratches. For eg, some high end watches use titanium and it scratches easily. Does it mean the watch build quality is no good? Many have used macs and have less issues. The quality is just superb.

As for the inside, lower spec doesn't mean a weaker system. think about a small engine in a light car. A lotus elise 1.6L engine vs a BMW 320 2L engine. The mac os just doesn't need all that bloated specs, like how windows phones run so smoothly despite have only 1g ram or even less.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Build quality should not be confused with getting dents and scratches. For eg, some high end watches use titanium and it scratches easily. Does it mean the watch build quality is no good? Many have used macs and have less issues. The quality is just superb.

As for the inside, lower spec doesn't mean a weaker system. think about a small engine in a light car. A lotus elise 1.6L engine vs a BMW 320 2L engine. The mac os just doesn't need all that bloated specs, like how windows phones run so smoothly despite have only 1g ram or even less.

i can only... :s13: to all of the above especially using car as a gauge makes it even funnier.

hard truth: mac lovers can say all they want. At the end of the day they still gonna use parallel or boot camp for windows as well. (most i know are like that)

no offense, if you do, read my siggy. thanks
 
Last edited:

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
i can only... :s13: to all of the above especially using car as a gauge makes it even funnier.

hard truth: mac lovers can say all they want. At the end of the day they still gonna use parallel or boot camp for windows as well. (most i know are like that)

no offense, if you do, read my siggy. thanks

What about a better analogy? Both the cars need to drag a huge load.(games) Obviously the one with the bigger engine will do it better.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
What about a better analogy? Both the cars need to drag a huge load.(games) Obviously the one with the bigger engine will do it better.

ya, i hate it more when my colleague could actually ask can i install "blah blah blah" on my macbook when the software is only available in .exe.

so the only way out? we all know.

and the draw back of using parallel or boot camp? battery and latency.

some mac lovers can tell me no latency.. try running VMs then. Talk to me about 1gb ram with zero-bloated specs.. i cant help it but think how narrow mac users are.


when PC users need help, tons of help are here everywhere.
when new mac users asked for help, the help rarely come. The mac lovers only market for apple but did no technical assistance whatsoever thereafter. typical.

ironic isn't it?
 
Last edited:

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,539
Reaction score
3,115
i can only... :s13: to all of the above especially using car as a gauge makes it even funnier.

hard truth: mac lovers can say all they want. At the end of the day they still gonna use parallel or boot camp for windows as well. (most i know are like that)

no offense, if you do, read my siggy. thanks

not pissed off just to clarify. just adding to the discussion. not sure why yr laughing at the car analogy...care to explain? it's quite pointless laughing at something without quantifying, isn't it?

personally i use both os, not on the same com...find it a bit laggy. i think both have their pros and cons.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
not pissed off just to clarify. just adding to the discussion. not sure why yr laughing at the car analogy...care to explain? it's quite pointless laughing at something without quantifying, isn't it?

personally i use both os, not on the same com...find it a bit laggy. i think both have their pros and cons.

i did, as above.
 

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,539
Reaction score
3,115
What about a better analogy? Both the cars need to drag a huge load.(games) Obviously the one with the bigger engine will do it better.

of cos. windows are better suited for gamers. so it depends on what u need or prefer.
 

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
22,623
Reaction score
899
My thinkpad during my poly days can take it when I accidentally dropped my notebook from table height and not even a scratch to it.

Thats the reason Thinkpads are renowned for their sturdiness. The IBM era models are even more rock solid :s13:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top