Laptop decision

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

villan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If portability is absolutely a must, the Nano.

Everything else and more usability, the X1C9.

Don't forget to source for discount codes. They help a lot while purchasing online.
thanks. portability is not so important for me. only time i have to bring my laptop out is when i travel overseas....

i am also considering:
1) Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 pro
2) LG Gram 14"/16"
3) Dell XPS 13

Appreciate your advice. thanks.

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
thanks. portability is not so important for me. only time i have to bring my laptop out is when i travel overseas....

i am also considering:
1) Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 pro
2) LG Gram 14"/16"
3) Dell XPS 13

Appreciate your advice. thanks.
Yoga is not the same level as X1C9. I think in terms of build and ranking in the respective line ups, the XPS is probably Dell's parallel. There are things I like about either the X1C9 and the Dell, but in terms of aftersales, Lenovo onsite/Premier has the edge - had bad experiences with Dell onsite for their corporate laptops. Lenovo's Yoga service is not on the same level as their Thinkpad (consumer vs corporate differentiation, so I rate Thinkpad service higher). For Lenovo, avoid going into the Depot service - have heard and experienced bad things there. :( As for the machines themselves, the XPS is more modern looking, whereas the X1C9 is the classic laptop aesthetic at under 1.2kg. Personal preference here, imo.

The LG Gram is interesting - while not a business class laptop, it's incredibly light portable and quite well built, so it's a viable option for me. No experience with aftersales service, so it remains unknown.

Parka

Master Member
Reaction score
Yoga is not the same level as X1C9. I think in terms of build and ranking in the respective line ups, the XPS is probably Dell's parallel. There are things I like about either the X1C9 and the Dell, but in terms of aftersales, Lenovo onsite/Premier has the edge - had bad experiences with Dell onsite for their corporate laptops. Lenovo's Yoga service is not on the same level as their Thinkpad (consumer vs corporate differentiation, so I rate Thinkpad service higher). For Lenovo, avoid going into the Depot service - have heard and experienced bad things there. :( As for the machines themselves, the XPS is more modern looking, whereas the X1C9 is the classic laptop aesthetic at under 1.2kg. Personal preference here, imo.

The LG Gram is interesting - while not a business class laptop, it's incredibly light portable and quite well built, so it's a viable option for me. No experience with aftersales service, so it remains unknown.
I'm using the LG Gram 16. It's very good. The laptop is just slightly lighter than the cardboard box it ships in. LOL.

Note that LG Gram 14 and 15 are 1080P. 16 and 17 are 1440P.
15 and 16 have better keyboard layout in my opinion.

LG has 2 years warranty.

Here's my review:
https://www.parkablogs.com/content/artist-review-lg-gram-17-2021
I'm not sure about other laptops you mentioned so I can't say much.

villan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using the LG Gram 16. It's very good. The laptop is just slightly lighter than the cardboard box it ships in. LOL.

Note that LG Gram 14 and 15 are 1080P. 16 and 17 are 1440P.
15 and 16 have better keyboard layout in my opinion.

LG has 2 years warranty.

Here's my review:
https://www.parkablogs.com/content/artist-review-lg-gram-17-2021
I'm not sure about other laptops you mentioned so I can't say much.
thanks for sharing.
any recommended shops/websites with good deals?
Best denki is selling for 2299 (16")

villan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've shortlisted the below laptops...appreciate your advice on which one to purchase for business/leisure use.
Weight is not an issue.
Thanks.

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 92,600
ThinkPad X1 Nano2,600
Asus G142,300
LG GRAM 162,300
Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro2,200

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've shortlisted the below laptops...appreciate your advice on which one to purchase for business/leisure use.
Weight is not an issue.
Thanks.

ThinkPad X1 Nano2,600
Asus G142,300
LG GRAM 162,300
There's no need to create multiple threads on this topic, and 2 in 2 days isn't exactly very considerate behaviour. ;)

Edit: Thanks mod for combining his multiple threads. :)

Last edited:

Parka

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing.
any recommended shops/websites with good deals?
Best denki is selling for 2299 (16")
The price is around there. Or wait for those 10.10, 11,11, 12.12 sales on Shopee or Lazada. ;)

At the time I'm writing this, LG on Shopee has $100 off for purchases above $2000
https://shopee.sg/lg.officialstore?categoryId=100644&itemId=2918212380
Or if you don't mind 2nd hand, I saw a 16GB 512GB SSD unit on Carousell few days ago for $1650
https://www.carousell.sg/p/lg-gram-2021-16-inch-1116579539
I bought mine 2nd hand at $1750 and it's already a good deal in my opinion. That 2nd hand unit is $550 cheaper than official retail.

LG warranty is 2 years so should be no issues.

huytoan132

Reaction score
Weight is not an issue.
Thanks.

ThinkPad X1 Nano2,600
Asus G142,300
LG GRAM 162,300
Yoga is not in the same league & it’s also much cheaper.
Want a balance between performance vs weight & money isn’t an object --> XPS or X1 Carbon is the way to go.
Portability is top priority --> X1 Nano
Best bang for buck, worse build quality but best CPU performance --> Yoga (Ryzen 5900HX doing better at 45W & lower compared to 11800H in Dell XPS)

LG GRAM 16 is low weight but footprint is too large, defeating the purpose of portability.
Asus pricing in SG is ridiculously high compared to other region

villan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yoga is not in the same league & it’s also much cheaper.
Want a balance between performance vs weight & money isn’t an object --> XPS or X1 Carbon is the way to go.
Portability is top priority --> X1 Nano
Best bang for buck, worse build quality but best CPU performance --> Yoga (Ryzen 5900HX doing better at 45W & lower compared to 11800H in Dell XPS)

LG GRAM 16 is low weight but footprint is too large, defeating the purpose of portability.
Asus pricing in SG is ridiculously high compared to other region
thanks. based on your comments, i have narrowed down to:

Current:
Lenovo Legion 5 / 5 pro
ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9
Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro (14")

If can wait:
Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro (16") Gen 6
Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Carbon (14") Gen 6

huytoan132

Reaction score
why bringing more models into the table? ask yourself what's your main deal breaker, buying for what kind of work/software? From my experience, your reluctant shows that you want the best hardware & cheap deal only, then just go for Legion 5 Pro

villan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought the Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Carbon (14") Gen 6. $1.4k
seems quite value for $.

madhardy4

Reaction score
5600u with mx450....this config makes more sense given its the same price as 5800u without discrete graphics card.
I also ordered the same model on Sat! Have been refreshing the order details page, excited to receive it

villan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also ordered the same model on Sat! Have been refreshing the order details page, excited to receive it
nice...i think its a great deal at 1.4k...think it says ship within 5 weeks? so prob 1st week Nov at the earliest?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.