Laptop HDD to SSD Cloning

deathgazer

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
3
My laptop current internal HDD size is 700GB but I'm only using around 300GB of space only, intending to get a Samsung 500GB SSD to clone over from the exisiting HDD as it is gonna die of soon.

Is it possible to do that or I have to get a SSD which is bigger than 700GB? I'm getting a hard disk enclosure with USB 3.0 to do the cloning process instead of using the hard disk cloning docking station

Thanks in advance for the advices
 

Calikura

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2011
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
My laptop current internal HDD size is 700GB but I'm only using around 300GB of space only, intending to get a Samsung 500GB SSD to clone over from the exisiting HDD as it is gonna die of soon.

Is it possible to do that or I have to get a SSD which is bigger than 700GB? I'm getting a hard disk enclosure with USB 3.0 to do the cloning process instead of using the hard disk cloning docking station

Thanks in advance for the advices

Most cloning software will handle it just fine, but if you're worried, you could shrink the system partition on your HDD to smaller than 500GB, then clone only that partition.

Personally I would copy data over but do a clean OS install though.
 

deathgazer

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
3
my exisiting HDD in my laptop only have 1 partition, so if need to so call shrink the size to below 500GB as what you mentioned how do i do that?
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,075
Reaction score
1,769
You can use the Samsung Data Migration software to copy the OS and data over. There is no need to shrink the partition.
 

deathgazer

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
3
You can use the Samsung Data Migration software to copy the OS and data over. There is no need to shrink the partition.

So I will install the Samsung Data Migration software on my exisiting HDD n clone over to the new Samsung SSD, once done then swap the SSD to my laotop. correct?
 

deathgazer

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
3
1 question.

for the setting in my bios for my samsung ssd, the sata operation should i keep it as AHCI or ATA? sorry not rly good with bios config.

thanks in adv
 

u0206397

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
764
Reaction score
0
Most cloning software will handle it just fine, but if you're worried, you could shrink the system partition on your HDD to smaller than 500GB, then clone only that partition.

Personally I would copy data over but do a clean OS install though.

Need to defrag the data to pack them within the first 500GB?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top