Laptop not booting

crazydeals

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2012
Messages
984
Reaction score
0
My laptop is not booting. After the Toshiba logo, it is showing a black screen with a message "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl +Alt+Del to restart"
But I am getting the same screen, even after several restarts.
I tried to restore to factory settings, but it failed to complete.
Is my Hard Disk dead? can someone advice what to do?
 

HardGaySamBa

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Most likely harddisk die... you got any external device like thumbdrive plug in? if got take all out and try booting again =)
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,733
Reaction score
133
Harddisk dead for sure. Hope you have recovery CD/DVD created.
 

crazydeals

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2012
Messages
984
Reaction score
0
Its not under warranty anymore. Expired in November.. I took it out and connected external. Just shows 7GB capacity, its was a 500GB HDD. Dont know what happened
I think need to send it back.
any chance of recovering data??
 

aptget

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 6, 2001
Messages
8,427
Reaction score
1
at least yours still able to read it after putting into external .

get a new HDD, locate a win7 DVD Home edition (look under laptop you should see which Win 7 edition), install Win 7 on new HDD

once done, connect your old HDD and retrieve your old files and back them up.

BTW i am sure there is a way to save your recovery partition and put into new HDD, I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Also, you need drivers for your new installation. I had a whole bunch of trouble getting drivers to install.
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,733
Reaction score
133
What OS is your Laptop and what OS you use to read when mounting the disk externally?

Win8 use a different file system (just in case you use Win8).
 

crazydeals

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2012
Messages
984
Reaction score
0
I Got a new Hard Disk and installed OS from scratch using OEM CD. SO far its working. But I am unable to get back any data from my old hdd :(:(
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top