Laptop recommendation

xcelerator

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2000
Messages
817
Reaction score
7
What laptops do you recommend that:

a. i5 4th gen
b. 8gb ram
c. win 8.1 (not 8.0)
d. 8hrs & abv battery life
e. lightweight (1.6kg max)
f. fast (ssd)
g. under or equal 14in display size

Use: student for project work & travel....not for gaming.

Thnx.
 

xyz_sg

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2013
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
As I suggested in another thread,

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/85389939-post5.html

I suggest you check Toshiba Z30 series if you don't mind its display resolution. Its battery life is claimed up to 12 hours.

If you buy one with 4GB RAM, you can upgrade to 8GB easily without trading your 4GB since I am going to upgrade mine to 16GB and sell my existing 4GB RAM, you can just buy mine and place it to the second slot.

I am not suggesting this model because of I am trying to sell my RAM, I am really satisfied with Z30 and I couldn't see any bad comments about this model until now. Just go and check in store, it is a bit over-priced, but if you can get a discount like me it is really worth to buy.
 
Last edited:

Unknownx

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
16
You should just get MacBook air

I think all Mac still haven't get fully working drivers for Windows 8.1

Anyway TS can consider my recommendation
Please take note the battery life is just taken as the laptop advertised
All the laptops below meet your listed requirements

Toshiba Portege Z30-A119 @ $1799
i5-4200U/Intel HD Graphics 4400/4GB RAM/128GB SSD/13.3" 1366x768/1.2kg/12hrs battery
(RAM upgradeable up to 16GB)

Sony Vaio Pro 13 @ $1999
i5-4200U/Intel HD Graphics 4400/8GB RAM/128GB PCIe SSD/13.3" 1920x1080 touch screen/1.06kg/8hrs battery

Sony Vaio Pro 13 @ $2699
i7-4500U/Intel HD Graphics 4400/8GB RAM/256GB PCIe SSD/13.3" 1920x1080 touch screen/1.06kg/8hrs battery

There is no official i5 model with 8GB RAM and 256GB PCIe SSD configuration for Sony Vaio Pro 13
You might want to check with Sony retail stores if want to do separate ugprade

Sony Vaio Duo 13 @ $3299
i7-4500U/Intel HD Graphics 4400/8GB RAM/256GB SSD/13.3" 1920x1080 touch screen/1.35kg/11.5hrs battery
 

WeDoIt

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2012
Messages
1,616
Reaction score
0
I think all Mac still haven't get fully working drivers for Windows 8.1

Anyway TS can consider my recommendation
Please take note the battery life is just taken as the laptop advertised
All the laptops below meet your listed requirements

Toshiba Portege Z30-A119 @ $1799
i5-4200U/Intel HD Graphics 4400/4GB RAM/128GB SSD/13.3" 1366x768/1.2kg/12hrs battery
(RAM upgradeable up to 16GB)

Sony Vaio Pro 13 @ $1999
i5-4200U/Intel HD Graphics 4400/8GB RAM/128GB PCIe SSD/13.3" 1920x1080 touch screen/1.06kg/8hrs battery

Sony Vaio Pro 13 @ $2699
i7-4500U/Intel HD Graphics 4400/8GB RAM/256GB PCIe SSD/13.3" 1920x1080 touch screen/1.06kg/8hrs battery

There is no official i5 model with 8GB RAM and 256GB PCIe SSD configuration for Sony Vaio Pro 13
You might want to check with Sony retail stores if want to do separate ugprade

Sony Vaio Duo 13 @ $3299
i7-4500U/Intel HD Graphics 4400/8GB RAM/256GB SSD/13.3" 1920x1080 touch screen/1.35kg/11.5hrs battery
The models you posted I find it abit to steep compared to a MacBook air esp if ts doesn't want spend too much .That's just my input .oh well
 

Unknownx

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
16
The models you posted I find it abit to steep compared to a MacBook air esp if ts doesn't want spend too much .That's just my input .oh well

I know the pricing a bit steep but since his requirements kinda high also...
I assume he got no problem with budget lol
If Mac got fully working driver for Windows 8.1 he can go for MBA :)
Or he doesn't mind if it's Windows 8 only
Since quite number of MBA 13" 2013 users reported more than 10 hours battery life on Windows 8 :D

Edit:
I just found out that Boot Camp 5.1 supports Windows 8.1 so another options:

Apple MacBook Air 13-inch : 128GB @ $1468 (after RAM upgrade)
i5-4250U/Intel HD Graphics 5000/8GB RAM/128GB PCIe SSD/13.3" 1440x900/1.35kg/12hrs battery

Apple MacBook Air 13-inch : 256GB @ $1758 (after RAM upgrade)
i5-4250U/Intel HD Graphics 5000/8GB RAM/256GB PCIe SSD/13.3" 1440x900/1.35kg/12hrs battery

TS also can get student rate if buying from online store under education section :)
 
Last edited:

dunno88

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2009
Messages
1,283
Reaction score
93
definitely do not get lenovo laptop tho. I decided that my portable HDD is my last purchase for anything related to lenovo.

Trying to rma stuff is a pain. Dont really want to go into details, but many years back when i had a toshiba notebook rma was hassle free.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top