Laptop unable to boot into windows

gabrielkfr

Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2014
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
Undervolted my laptop slightly too much, the laptop froze up and rebooted and once it would arrive to the desktop and throttlestop would load it would freeze and reboot, this happened multiple times until startup repair managed to bring the under volt to the previous value, I undervolted again cos I thought it would just be the same again but now startup repair doesn’t work, and I’ve tried to boot up in safe mode and the other alternative modes but every time it will bsod critical process died. I tried to remove my cmos battery but I couldn’t find it, I’m only familiar with desktop cmos battery.

I have tried to reset pc as well, either with keep files and erase anything and it says process failed. I have tried system restore, it finishes but it does not complete successfully. So confused because I have undervolted before and always just boot back up with voltage reset, but not sure what happened this time...


Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
 
Last edited:

Albertphoon

Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2001
Messages
290
Reaction score
1
Undervolted my laptop slightly too much, the laptop froze up and rebooted and once it would arrive to the desktop and throttlestop would load it would freeze and reboot, this happened multiple times until startup repair managed to bring the under volt to the previous value, I undervolted again cos I thought it would just be the same again but now startup repair doesn’t work, and I’ve tried to boot up in safe mode and the other alternative modes but every time it will bsod critical process died. I tried to remove my cmos battery but I couldn’t find it, I’m only familiar with desktop cmos battery.

I have tried to reset pc as well, either with keep files and erase anything and it says process failed. I have tried system restore, it finishes but it does not complete successfully. So confused because I have undervolted before and always just boot back up with voltage reset, but not sure what happened this time...


Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
You can try F2, F12 or Delete button upon pressing the "ON" .
Then change to default setting and Press F10 to restart.
It is hard to remove or have access into the Cmos battery, which is inside the laptop casing.
If you can to try removing it, You can google to youtube on your laptop model.
But usually you do not need to do it.
Good Luck
 

Albertphoon

Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2001
Messages
290
Reaction score
1
You can try F2, F12 or Delete button upon pressing the "ON" .
Then change to default setting and Press F10 to restart.
It is hard to remove or have access into the Cmos battery, which is inside the laptop casing.
If you can to try removing it, You can google to youtube on your laptop model.
But usually you do not need to do it.
Good Luck
But why to do you need to under voltage for laptop. Infact you cannot do it and have access to that setting unless desktop Bios.

If it is because of heat problem, then you can either set it to battery saver mode, active fan mode or do re-paste thermal on the cpu /gpu chip and cleanup the fan.

Becareful , constant high temp can damaged the Chip and bootup will fail.
 

Zeltos

Master Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2001
Messages
3,222
Reaction score
219
Undervolted my laptop slightly too much, the laptop froze up and rebooted and once it would arrive to the desktop and throttlestop would load it would freeze and reboot, this happened multiple times until startup repair managed to bring the under volt to the previous value, I undervolted again cos I thought it would just be the same again but now startup repair doesn’t work, and I’ve tried to boot up in safe mode and the other alternative modes but every time it will bsod critical process died. I tried to remove my cmos battery but I couldn’t find it, I’m only familiar with desktop cmos battery.

I have tried to reset pc as well, either with keep files and erase anything and it says process failed. I have tried system restore, it finishes but it does not complete successfully. So confused because I have undervolted before and always just boot back up with voltage reset, but not sure what happened this time...


Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Why do you need to undervolt your laptop? It will spoilt your cpu and other parts in motherboard.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,727
Reaction score
1,553
As from time to time. When you undervolt your laptop to work outside the specification, sometimes you are doing more harm than good.

The reason why your laptop needs that extra volts is to increase their boost clocks or sustaining boost clocks. Restricting it from having that extra mV will just cause instability if you do not know what you are doing. Laptops specs is not the same as Desktop where one can easily access the Cmos batt. And another thing if the Bios limitations that the manufacturer sets. Work outside of it can cause some serious implications.

All looks good when the temps are lower etc. But you are damaging it.

You might wanna send down to the service centre. Hopefully they dont see anything or they will just proceed the repairs.

Fyi, if the manufacturer sets it in a way to work at high temps, just let it work that way. Dont try to alter the way it should work. It is designed to throttle and it is design to shut off if it overheats.

For gaming laptops, i think there is a way to lower down the fans and lower down the speed of the cpu to remain cool. Use that instead of going out of spec.
 

lumpyme

Master Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
3,919
Reaction score
889
As from time to time. When you undervolt your laptop to work outside the specification, sometimes you are doing more harm than good.

The reason why your laptop needs that extra volts is to increase their boost clocks or sustaining boost clocks. Restricting it from having that extra mV will just cause instability if you do not know what you are doing. Laptops specs is not the same as Desktop where one can easily access the Cmos batt. And another thing if the Bios limitations that the manufacturer sets. Work outside of it can cause some serious implications.

All looks good when the temps are lower etc. But you are damaging it.

You might wanna send down to the service centre. Hopefully they dont see anything or they will just proceed the repairs.

Fyi, if the manufacturer sets it in a way to work at high temps, just let it work that way. Dont try to alter the way it should work. It is designed to throttle and it is design to shut off if it overheats.

For gaming laptops, i think there is a way to lower down the fans and lower down the speed of the cpu to remain cool. Use that instead of going out of spec.

you will harm your laptop if you overvolt, undervolt does not harm the cpu in any way at worst it just remains unstable
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,733
Reaction score
133
you will harm your laptop if you overvolt, undervolt does not harm the cpu in any way at worst it just remains unstable

It does. Some components need to work on minimum spec. For example, given supply voltage (for this case, 19v for most laptop PC). Reducing voltage to CPU means regulator need to take up the extra. Guess what will happen next?

Instead of reducing voltage hope to reduce CPU heat. The heat goes to regulator! And may be finally burnt down as regulator mostly do not carry heatsink for a laptop PC.

So don't just look at CPU alone. Think the system design as a whole! Not to forget when you work at marginal voltage, you also run the risk 9f loading data and signal level may be reduce too.
 
Last edited:

lumpyme

Master Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
3,919
Reaction score
889
Reducing voltage to CPU means regulator need to take up the extra. Guess what will happen next?

so you are saying regularly you feed the cpu 1v
now you feed the cpu 0.9v, the regulator suddenly has to deal with 1.1v?

i've been undervolting all my cpu since the year 2000, until today i've never encountered any issues
i even undervolt my macs
as far as i can tell, my cpu runs faster, my battery life lasts longer as well
 

gabrielkfr

Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2014
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
You can try F2, F12 or Delete button upon pressing the "ON" .
Then change to default setting and Press F10 to restart.
It is hard to remove or have access into the Cmos battery, which is inside the laptop casing.
If you can to try removing it, You can google to youtube on your laptop model.
But usually you do not need to do it.
Good Luck

I have tried default bios settings, no difference.

I also opened up my laptop, but I couldn’t find the cmos battery, I’m used to seeing the circle battery on desktop mobo, couldn’t find it on the laptop mobo.

But why to do you need to under voltage for laptop. Infact you cannot do it and have access to that setting unless desktop Bios.

If it is because of heat problem, then you can either set it to battery saver mode, active fan mode or do re-paste thermal on the cpu /gpu chip and cleanup the fan.

Becareful , constant high temp can damaged the Chip and bootup will fail.

No, Intel XTU and throttlestop allow you to undervolt without going into bios. In fact my bios does not have voltage adjustment function. There’s a lot of information online YouTube etc about the benefits of undervolting with no downsides.

The laptop is a zenbook with only 1 fan, even at normal load (chrome, word) its 50-60 degrees, so I have been undervolting for 2 yrs already, normal load was 30-40 degrees, and allow me to play games like Overwatch @ 60fps only on a 940MX.

already told u to reinstall

All options for reset pc and reinstall either by cloud download or local reinstall will say “There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.” Even if “Remove everything” instead of keep my files, same result.

I have even tried system restore by cmd with net start vss, after restore finishes it says “System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer’s system files and settings were not changed.” Unspecified error.

so you are saying regularly you feed the cpu 1v
now you feed the cpu 0.9v, the regulator suddenly has to deal with 1.1v?

i've been undervolting all my cpu since the year 2000, until today i've never encountered any issues
i even undervolt my macs
as far as i can tell, my cpu runs faster, my battery life lasts longer as well

Yes I have undervolted this laptop for 2yrs+ with no issues, allow me to have lower temps and more performance without power limit throttling. However not sure what happened this time after it reboot from too much of an undervolt.
 
Last edited:

Albertphoon

Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2001
Messages
290
Reaction score
1
I have tried default bios settings, no difference.

I also opened up my laptop, but I couldn’t find the cmos battery, I’m used to seeing the circle battery on desktop mobo, couldn’t find it on the laptop mobo.



No, Intel XTU and throttlestop allow you to undervolt without going into bios. In fact my bios does not have voltage adjustment function. There’s a lot of information online YouTube etc about the benefits of undervolting with no downsides.

The laptop is a zenbook with only 1 fan, even at normal load (chrome, word) its 50-60 degrees, so I have been undervolting for 2 yrs already, normal load was 30-40 degrees, and allow me to play games like Overwatch @ 60fps only on a 940MX.



All options for reset pc and reinstall either by cloud download or local reinstall will say “There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.” Even if “Remove everything” instead of keep my files, same result.

I have even tried system restore by cmd with net start vss, after restore finishes it says “System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer’s system files and settings were not changed.” Unspecified error.



Yes I have undervolted this laptop for 2yrs+ with no issues, allow me to have lower temps and more performance without power limit throttling. However not sure what happened this time after it reboot from too much of an undervolt.

There is a very simple way to confirm if the laptop have or dun have a cmos battery. You do not need to open up to look for it.
But since you are able to reset the laptop to default and still unable to solve the problem, then is component level troubleshooting.
I do not want to .... You can send it for repair.
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,827
Reaction score
1,778
reinstall means use bootable usb containing windows 10. you can create using rufus.
 

lumpyme

Master Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
3,919
Reaction score
889
TS can create a bootable usb drive, from there enter dos, go to your throttlestop folder and delete everything
if you are using intel xtu then its gong to be a bit difficult
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top