learning japanese

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For a start, do some self-studying first to write Hiragana. I recommend 4-5 hours per week... at the end of N5, maybe 5-6 hours a week... search for my reviews that I did on this page.

Some people find it easy to start, but hard to continue.....
As yourself what you want to achieve...

Iamnobodyla

Reaction score
Thanks

I think Ikoma is quite good. 4-5 hours per week is on top of the lesson hours ?

My objective is just for conversation.. read that N3 is around there. Not really aiming higher than that.

Maybe until job requires then will wanna further advance to business Japanese that kind of level.. if not, conversational is good for me. :D

Possible to take N5 in July ? If I start my lessons in Jan... 6 months time ok?

Actually how u all use Japanese in ur daily life?

For a start, do some self-studying first to write Hiragana. I recommend 4-5 hours per week... at the end of N5, maybe 5-6 hours a week... search for my reviews that I did on this page.

Some people find it easy to start, but hard to continue.....
As yourself what you want to achieve...

Last edited:

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks

I think Ikoma is quite good. 4-5 hours per week is on top of the lesson hours ?

My objective is just for conversation.. read that N3 is around there. Not really aiming higher than that.

Maybe until job requires then will wanna further advance to business Japanese that kind of level.. if not, conversational is good for me. :D

Possible to take N5 in July ? If I start my lessons in Jan... 6 months time ok?

Actually how u all use Japanese in ur daily life?

Yes. On top. If you aiming for conversation, dont rush to take exam. Usually its about 1 year of studies for N5. At N5, you need about 150 hours of studying + self study. My students do 250 hours though. Treat it like studying for a degree.

I watch animes, dramas; teach in Japanese; buy Japanese cosmetics, supplements, books, etc.

DashJX

Reaction score
Pm contact pls. TIA!

Does your relative good in computer / internet, and also can read Chinese traditional characters?

I'm asking this, because I'm also learning Japanese in Chinese language.

However, I'm learning Japanese with a Taiwanese teacher.

He has online courses, from beginning up to N1 level.

I bought the course, and whenever I want to learn, I just opened the course and learn. Anytime, even midnight too.

And no, the course bought will not expire. If I bought last year, I still can learn the course this year or next year.

I'm learning from him because:

1. I couldn't find learning Japanese course in Chinese language over here in Singapore.
2. The course is much cheaper as compared to here (about 30% - 50% cheaper).
3. I can learn anytime I want.
4. He teaches a lot of things which typical textbook doesn't teach.

Btw, sometimes he might also do FB live, have a few questions asked by students, and explained the questions and why the answer is this and not that.... This is usually on Sunday nights, 9 pm.

Oh ya, currently he also has published 4 learning Japanese books, and seems like 2 more are also confirmed to be published.

nydeidith

Reaction score
hi guys can give some recommendations for online courses? dont have time to go to the language school for weekly lessons, so hoping to find some online lessons/courses i can learn on my own pace - preferably more serious ones with homework and textbooks.

btw are there any schools offering 1 to 1 online classes where i can move along at my own pace?

Last edited:

nydeidith

Reaction score

thank very much!

while searching online i also found hougang japanese language school which offers online 1to1 for $30/hours...very reasonable rate and seems like a legit place...basically i dont have much time due to work and children and 1to1 online seems the best if i can have some flexibility for lesson timings! what do you think? my goal is to be conversational!

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hougang Japanese Language School was my alma-mater.

You have to ask yourself if you have 4 hours to study per week? If not, it's better to rely on online resources to learn first, once you have some certain knowledge, then proceed to do lessons. Don't waste the money.

nydeidith

Reaction score
Hougang Japanese Language School was my alma-mater.

You have to ask yourself if you have 4 hours to study per week? If not, it's better to rely on online resources to learn first, once you have some certain knowledge, then proceed to do lessons. Don't waste the money.

Thanks! I will call them to check. I do have the 4 hours to study per week, just not at structured weekly timings at language schools. It will be great if the teachers are flexible with the class timing (e.g. having the lessons later at night or really really early in the morning and doing it online to remove need to travel somewhere). Actually i have studied in the past when i younger and also took classes in university, so i do know the basics already. Anyways thanks for your inputs :D

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think they can. Call and check with them.
It's not the online that you think it is. The online classes have teachers around.

9eptember18

Reaction score
I learned Japanese from MOE Language Centre from sec 1-JC1. My grades are A2 for O lvls and B for H1. I really loved the teachers there, they were nice, and also organise other activities like sushi making, movie screenings.

In NUS, I also learned Japanese 4 and Japanese 5. Hated how NUS taught it, because it was VERY intense (7 hours a week, many homework and tests). I of course focused on my major which is Business, and only get B- in NUS. Also, NUS teach a lot of useless stuff like how to talk about politics, or study overseas in Japan which is not relevant to my interest.

Passed JLPT N2 in 2014, and failed N1 so I did not take it again. I was disillusioned by how Japanese companies conduct interviews, such as Muji, Sojitz, Uniqlo. A lot of sexist questions (saying I look like a princess, how they won't send women on business trips to India).

I have a lot of study materials, can pm me if want to share.

always2306

Reaction score
Does your relative good in computer / internet, and also can read Chinese traditional characters?

I'm asking this, because I'm also learning Japanese in Chinese language.

However, I'm learning Japanese with a Taiwanese teacher.

He has online courses, from beginning up to N1 level.

I bought the course, and whenever I want to learn, I just opened the course and learn. Anytime, even midnight too.

And no, the course bought will not expire. If I bought last year, I still can learn the course this year or next year.

I'm learning from him because:

1. I couldn't find learning Japanese course in Chinese language over here in Singapore.
2. The course is much cheaper as compared to here (about 30% - 50% cheaper).
3. I can learn anytime I want.
4. He teaches a lot of things which typical textbook doesn't teach.

Btw, sometimes he might also do FB live, have a few questions asked by students, and explained the questions and why the answer is this and not that.... This is usually on Sunday nights, 9 pm.

Oh ya, currently he also has published 4 learning Japanese books, and seems like 2 more are also confirmed to be published.
Hi, I am interested. Can you please PM me the details? Thank you.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is Hougang school good beyond their Advance 1 if want to train for practical usage? Their Advance 1 is only N4 and higher than that is JLPT Preparatory Class.

How is Tomo's intermediate and pre-advance?

One thing I find weird is that my N4/N3 listening scores are pretty good (>90%) but I still find my listening speed not fast enough.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.