Leave charger on or off?

Starwalkersg

Banned
Joined
Oct 3, 2012
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Hi, just got myself a new macbook
Since I use it at home like a desktop, should I leave the charger on, or use&recharge?
Which option is actually better for the battery?
 

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
3,694
Reaction score
109
I have it on all the time, only disconnect and runs down the battery once a while and connects again.

Nowadays, there are no memory effects on the battery and no detrimental effects if you connect your charger all the time.
 

chenaz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2011
Messages
9,797
Reaction score
373
I always on. Unless I accidentally off the main power then suddenly low bat
 

tt88

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2000
Messages
902
Reaction score
37
If you precious your new Macbook, I strongly recommend that U Use Battery after Charged!
 

chenaz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2011
Messages
9,797
Reaction score
373
That will let the laptop and battery die even faster . Battery is different from last time. It will auto cut off input after it is full.

If you precious your new Macbook, I strongly recommend that U Use Battery after Charged!
 
Last edited:

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,480
Reaction score
3,164
That will the laptop and battery even faster . Battery is different from last time. It will auto cut off input after it is full.

not so much about e charging. its to make sure e electrons in e battery r moving. e battery also deteriorates if u dun use it...
 

rvyne7

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2017
Messages
582
Reaction score
6
I normally use battery til it drops to 30-20% before I charge it again.

I'm curious of this aswell coz if i stream videos it drops quite fast less than 5hrs not sure if its worth turning on/off the ac charger or not.
 

iCubes

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,770
Reaction score
1,339
The battery has a finite number of lifecycles before it drops its capacity. Everytime you use until 0% then charge to 100%, it uses 1 cycle. As the battery reaches its limit of cycles, the quality will start degrading. Hence, its best to leave it charged, and *only* periodically use it to 0% and charge to full for calibration. Other than that, its not necessary to leave it running on battery.
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,480
Reaction score
3,164
The battery has a finite number of lifecycles before it drops its capacity. Everytime you use until 0% then charge to 100%, it uses 1 cycle. As the battery reaches its limit of cycles, the quality will start degrading. Hence, its best to leave it charged, and *only* periodically use it to 0% and charge to full for calibration. Other than that, its not necessary to leave it running on battery.

that's what I thought. my MacBook Air batt has only 40+ cycles but wear level has reached 75%. u need to use e battery from time to time. get e electrons flowing...
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top