Looking for advice on buying a mousepad

Questin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2004
Messages
7,948
Reaction score
156
Not sure if this is the right forum for this...

I currently have a Steelseries QCK Medium : https://www.harveynorman.com.sg/com...lseries-qck-cloth-gaming-mousepad-medium.html

Its not bad, but its got a couple of flaws...the color has faded in some spots so its not entirely black anymore, and portions of the base have peeled off and gotten stuck to the desk, and its impossible to remove.

I do like the feel of the mouse pad though, it feels just right.

Im looking for a new mousepad in the $20 range, and these caught my eye :

And of course, i could get another Steelseries QCK Medium, although i dont know if thats a good idea.

I have no idea what the pros and cons of different materials are, what kind of thickness i should get, etc. Any advice? I am not doing competitive gaming but would like something comfy and long lasting.

Edit : Forgot to mention this but im using a harvey norman voucher so the mousepad needs to be from harvey norman.
 
Last edited:

Psycovirus

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
1,789
Reaction score
381
3RtYpvz.png


I can recommend you a more customizable and well priced gaming mousepad by X-ray Pads.
The surface is so much better than any of the steelseries or coolermaster mousepads i have used previously.

https://shop.x-raypad.com/

Lazada: https://www.lazada.sg/shop/x-raypad-official-store/

I have been using their control+ mousepad for over 2 years now and the bottom has not melted, the top surface has not faded at all. The very long mousepad/mat was only $23 with $8 shipping. Prices might have changed by now but for normal mousepad size, it should still be around $20-$25.
 

Questin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2004
Messages
7,948
Reaction score
156
have you tried washing your QCK? wet the mouse pad and just pour some laundry powder on it, then give it a light scrub with a brush. The gunk should come right off.
Its not gunk on the pad, the color just seems to have faded in some areas and its become white. Not really bothered by the color fading but part of the base has peeled off and gotten stuck to the desk, and is impossible to remove. Its like this solid mass of rubber stuck to the desk.
 

Questin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2004
Messages
7,948
Reaction score
156
3RtYpvz.png


I can recommend you a more customizable and well priced gaming mousepad by X-ray Pads.
The surface is so much better than any of the steelseries or coolermaster mousepads i have used previously.

https://shop.x-raypad.com/

Lazada: https://www.lazada.sg/shop/x-raypad-official-store/

I have been using their control+ mousepad for over 2 years now and the bottom has not melted, the top surface has not faded at all. The very long mousepad/mat was only $23 with $8 shipping. Prices might have changed by now but for normal mousepad size, it should still be around $20-$25.
Sorry, forgot to mention in the OP that it must be around $20 from Harvey Norman because im using a voucher. And they dont appear to have this mousepad.
 

liewhl

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
1,605
Reaction score
60
I used different brand of clothes mad before but most of the time, I dun really feel much different in term of usage. I think the mouse you use it with make more different

I alway change after a few year after it turn color and become dirty to the point where it is a bit disgusting. Normally, I just look at the price and design nia. To be honest, I find those unbranded china one also worked ok, so i think you can just randomly pick one to buy
 
Last edited:

Psycovirus

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
1,789
Reaction score
381
If you're looking for mousepads at Harvey Norman...

G240, very thin, 1mm only. Not really suitable for gaming.

other office style mousepads are pretty small. The Elcom leather mousepad is rubbish, too grippy and annoying to use.

Asus mouse pad is so tiny, forget about it. its probably in their inventory for about a decade and would've melted by now.

Only choice you have out of all the above is SteelSeries QCK Cloth Gaming Mousepad.. Its decent.
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,482
Reaction score
6,016
I only can comment on Logitech Mousepad since I mainly use their mouspad.
The Logitech Studio Series is for normal office use, not really for gaming.
G240 I used to own before but this you really have to think whether you
want fast mouse speed or not cuz this uses cloth so speed isn't fast.

The G440 wise which is hard surface and bigger will be more suitable for gaming.

https://www.logitechg.com/en-sg/pro...ds/g440-hard-gaming-mouse-pad.943-000794.html

Suggest go down personally to take a look, these mousepad usually got can let you feel
it before you buy. I mean the packaging can let you touch, shops don't open mousepad
for customer to try.
 

Questin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2004
Messages
7,948
Reaction score
156
I suggest save the voucher for other things and go sls look for cheaper mouse pad.
Voucher expires at the end of this month and i cant think of anything else to get from HN. I think i will go with the steel series QCK but i dont understand why part of the base peeled off and stuck to my desk :(.
 

hao_jun

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2007
Messages
941
Reaction score
139
I'm using the Logitech studio series desk mat (mid-grey) for a year and I think is ok for causal gaming.

I play single player games like d4, re2/3/4 remake, dead space remake etc and no issue with the mat.

It's water resistant but still suffer from stains (from my food) and the stitches came off from the side of mat. It cost 29.80 now (the large one) and same as U, I got some birthday voucher from courts and just bought the mat.

Agree with one of the bro who mentioned that the mouse is more important than the mat and go for look and feel (maybe I'm just a causal gamer and let ppl be impress with my desk setup,haha)
 

Sprezatura

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2013
Messages
2,192
Reaction score
1,285
Voucher expires at the end of this month and i cant think of anything else to get from HN. I think i will go with the steel series QCK but i dont understand why part of the base peeled off and stuck to my desk :(.
is your room or table hot during the day? the rubber melted and fused with the table
 

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,919
Reaction score
2,501
Voucher expires at the end of this month and i cant think of anything else to get from HN. I think i will go with the steel series QCK but i dont understand why part of the base peeled off and stuck to my desk :(.

1000042010.jpg

I see there got good alternative from razer too less than $20

Also if you could top up abit I recommend this aimlab

1000042011.jpg
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,039
Reaction score
8,289
View attachment 47043

I see there got good alternative from razer too less than $20

Also if you could top up abit I recommend this aimlab

View attachment 47045

I use a thin hard pad like Elements Air. There's no degradation, it's easy to keep clean, and it provides a consistent feeling for years. It took a while to get used to it because instead of relying on a mousepad to stop the mouse, you need to use your skill. It's easier to make small movements anyway.

I used too many cloth mousepads in the past but got sick of the problems. Never-ending replacement. :LOL:
 

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,919
Reaction score
2,501
I use a thin hard pad like Elements Air. There's no degradation, it's easy to keep clean, and it provides a consistent feeling for years. It took a while to get used to it because instead of relying on a mousepad to stop the mouse, you need to use your skill. It's easier to make small movements anyway.

I used too many cloth mousepads in the past but got sick of the problems. Never-ending replacement. :LOL:
True also nowadays hard pad seem gaining more popularity. currently I am using moonstone as long term solution for my mouse too
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,039
Reaction score
8,289
True also nowadays hard pad seem gaining more popularity. currently I am using moonstone as long term solution for my mouse too
Yeah.. for hard pad just wipe with a wet cloth and dry it will be good as new. Nowadays I still see people with rotten cloth pads on their desk leaving me speechless.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,039
Reaction score
8,289
So whats the real difference between hard and cloth?

It is a better long-term solution, mainly durability, consistency, and hygiene.

Cloth is not as durable and less hygienic. There is more friction and wear and tear, causing inconsistency over time and a shorter lifecycle than the hard pad.

If i had to use a cloth mousepad again i rather not use one.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top