Luggage Wheels

Elnin0

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2001
Messages
26,552
Reaction score
8
mirrco just quoted me $80 for replacement of 4 wheels... that is about 80% the cost of my small american tourister bag :S
Save​

I did. It is 360 degree turn wheels.

Walking distance from bugis MRT. Did it last month. The lady said is high duty wheels. It is rubbery kind one. Not plastic.

Becoz I like my big luggage a lot and it is hard case. Hence bought it to changed its shoes.

Up to individual whether is it worth or not.
 
Last edited:

Elnin0

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2001
Messages
26,552
Reaction score
8
Oh ya. Forgot to add. The service is fast. I collect it the next hour. I suggest to call them to confirm whether they got the parts available.
 

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,717
Reaction score
737
should be spinner wheels. the rubbery external part of the wheels were worn out and fell off.

Mine is fixed and can be replaced as long as replaced the rivets.
If spinner wheels, can try to find at ebay and see if can self replace.
Youtube is a good place to check how to fix it.
 

quirkyhill

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2006
Messages
69,291
Reaction score
4,079
Mine is fixed and can be replaced as long as replaced the rivets.
If spinner wheels, can try to find at ebay and see if can self replace.
Youtube is a good place to check how to fix it.

thanks for the suggestion. my dad suggested to remove the rubbery part from the remaining unspoilt wheels so that the 4 wheels would become balanced again :s13:
 

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,717
Reaction score
737
thanks for the suggestion. my dad suggested to remove the rubbery part from the remaining unspoilt wheels so that the 4 wheels would become balanced again :s13:

Not able to roll much.
Just change it when you are not travelling.
 

foxer77

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
8,673
Reaction score
1,166
I got it off Taobao those rubber wheel and diy use saw to break the old metal rod.
Current wheel r like those roller blade that secure use Allen key
 

numbcat

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
52
Reaction score
2
Thanks. Just realised my wheels are damaged and I'll be travelling in 2 weeks. Chiang Kong charges $60 for replacing 4 wheels. Much cheaper to buy wheels online but almost all ship from overseas, prob won't get them on time. Trying my luck with Koh's Tots Shops on qoo10.

Online.
Ebay.
You need to measure your current wheel diameter.
 

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,717
Reaction score
737
I got it off Taobao those rubber wheel and diy use saw to break the old metal rod.
Current wheel r like those roller blade that secure use Allen key

I was sawing until pek cek.
Then i resorted to drill.
Settled in a jiffy.
 

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,717
Reaction score
737
Thanks. Just realised my wheels are damaged and I'll be travelling in 2 weeks. Chiang Kong charges $60 for replacing 4 wheels. Much cheaper to buy wheels online but almost all ship from overseas, prob won't get them on time. Trying my luck with Koh's Tots Shops on qoo10.

Whichever floats the boat
 

dleodleo

Master Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
2,835
Reaction score
12
Thanks. Just realised my wheels are damaged and I'll be travelling in 2 weeks. Chiang Kong charges $60 for replacing 4 wheels. Much cheaper to buy wheels online but almost all ship from overseas, prob won't get them on time. Trying my luck with Koh's Tots Shops on qoo10.

Try calling 62828255, they are servicing agent of eminent luggage. Charged me $10 per wheels for eminent last time. They do it on the spot..Other brand will be higher. I dun know the price now.

If you have no time to service, you can DIY try to change the position of the wheels so that the non spoil one are at the "pulling" side and spoil one at the non "pulling" side.
 

numbcat

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
52
Reaction score
2
Thanks. Just realised my wheels are damaged and I'll be travelling in 2 weeks. Chiang Kong charges $60 for replacing 4 wheels. Much cheaper to buy wheels online but almost all ship from overseas, prob won't get them on time. Trying my luck with Koh's Tots Shops on qoo10.

Original state (1 of 4, the rest were already crumbling):
PmaMQ2k.jpg


Koh's Tots Shops is local. Placed order on Thursday afternoon, wheels came on Friday night :s12: Almost $30 in total.
uyVUvaY.jpg


Tried sawing first. Hardly made a mark by the time the hacksaw became blunt. Switched to hand drill but couldn't remove the eyelet ring as I do not have the suitable drill bit size. After prolonged drilling, only managed to make the eyelet ring a bit malleable. Had to use a screwdriver and plier to further deform it, then use a bolt and hammer to punch the whole axle out.

Removed axle:
DYECLH0.jpg


Hardly a dent made by hacksaw:
X4Kin83.jpg


The replacement axle fitted perfectly in the hole with no freeplay, but the length was longer than the old one, so it ended up protruding out of the side. Doesn't affect the wheel function so far.
D6xBx9c.jpg


Didn't mind the whole exercise despite the hassles encountered, 'cos I like working with my hands and just didn't want to feel that I might have overpaid for something that I could have done myself.
 

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,717
Reaction score
737
Original state (1 of 4, the rest were already crumbling):
[mg]https://i.imgur.com/PmaMQ2k.jpg[/img]

Koh's Tots Shops is local. Placed order on Thursday afternoon, wheels came on Friday night :s12: Almost $30 in total.
https://i.imgur.com/uyVUvaY.jpg[/ig]

Tried sawing first. Hardly made a mark by the time the hacksaw became blunt. Switched to hand drill but couldn't remove the eyelet ring as I do not have the suitable drill bit size. After prolonged drilling, only managed to make the eyelet ring a bit malleable. Had to use a screwdriver and plier to further deform it, then use a bolt and hammer to punch the whole axle out.

Removed axle:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/DYECLH0.jpg[/mg]

Hardly a dent made by hacksaw:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/X4Kin83.jpg[/mg]

The replacement axle fitted perfectly in the hole with no freeplay, but the length was longer than the old one, so it ended up protruding out of the side. Doesn't affect the wheel function so far.
img]https://i.imgur.com/D6xBx9c.jpg

Didn't mind the whole exercise despite the hassles encountered, 'cos I like working with my hands and just didn't want to feel that I might have overpaid for something that I could have done myself.

Wheels about 1/2 price if you have the time to wait.
 
Last edited:

numbcat

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
52
Reaction score
2
Wheels about 1/2 price if you have the time to wait.

Correct. Majority ships from China. I just wanna make sure I have enough time to send for professional replacement, in case the DIY thing doesn't work.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top