Macbook Screen stains on Retina screen

Zomgnoob

Member
Joined
May 18, 2010
Messages
350
Reaction score
15
Hi I've heard that Apple does have an replacement plan for Retina screen due to coating stains that is affecting the display, aka 'Staingate'.

Recently the stain became unbearable and was creeping to the center of the screen, I found out about their replacement plan only then.

I did call apple support but the aussie guy an the other end of the line doesn't know what i'm talking about (or so he claims) and recommended me to take it to authorized apple repair shop to assess.

Does anyone have any experience replacing it for free outside the Applecare plan? My Macbook was bought in early 2014 and other website notices states that they will replace it within 3 yrs of purchase but if I do not have apple care will they do the replacement?

Wouldn't want to waste my time backing up files and getting in line at the shop just for them to taiji the problem back to me again.
 

zitseng

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
2
Hi I've heard that Apple does have an replacement plan for Retina screen due to coating stains that is affecting the display, aka 'Staingate'.

Recently the stain became unbearable and was creeping to the center of the screen, I found out about their replacement plan only then.

I did call apple support but the aussie guy an the other end of the line doesn't know what i'm talking about (or so he claims) and recommended me to take it to authorized apple repair shop to assess.

Does anyone have any experience replacing it for free outside the Applecare plan? My Macbook was bought in early 2014 and other website notices states that they will replace it within 3 yrs of purchase but if I do not have apple care will they do the replacement?

Wouldn't want to waste my time backing up files and getting in line at the shop just for them to taiji the problem back to me again.

By right it should still be covered outside of warranty. I'm surprised the Apple support guy isn't aware about it. Perhaps they are just playing cautious to not assume this is a coating stain issue until it is actually inspected.
 

PetPet

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
95,223
Reaction score
311
When did you have your macbook purchased? Head down to AASP, and have it replaced if it falls under the follow criteria.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/17/apple-mbp-ar-coating-quality-program-staingate/

Apple will replace Retina displays on affected MacBook or MacBook Pro models for free within three years from the date of original purchase, or one year from October 16, 2015, whichever is longer. Affected customers that have already incurred out-of-warranty costs may be eligible for a refund through AppleCare support.
 
Last edited:

zitseng

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
2

Arandalo

Master Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
4,103
Reaction score
1,252

VodkaPear

Master Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2012
Messages
2,708
Reaction score
125
Wow. Did you mention about the battery bloated issue to alab or did they found out and replace for you without you mentioning it?

Nope. I brought it in, indicated my screen got coating issue.

It's only when it is ready for me to collect, the staff told me that they replaced the battery due to it is bloated.
 

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
8,712
Reaction score
4
Nope. I brought it in, indicated my screen got coating issue.

It's only when it is ready for me to collect, the staff told me that they replaced the battery due to it is bloated.

Awesome service. My encounter with A labs is totally hopeless. Now Apple intend to start a flagship store in SG, A labs start producing world class services
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top