Marketing vs Sociology

faithinfate

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
60
Reaction score
6
Hi all, I do need your urgent advice on this matter of mine. Hope my post is not too long.

I am a business Diploma graduate from SP. I have a gpa of 3.5 and quite a few non academic achievements in schoool and army.
I will be finishing NS this year and enrolling in uni.

I am currently offered between unisim full time marketing and ntu sociology.

1) brand recognition (local and overseas)
Ntu wins hands down

2) interest
I am keen an business and very people oriented. I will be looking to pursue a career in marketing or something relevant. Unisim marketing degree is much more specialised and thus relevant. Ntu sociology is quite general buts it's focus on academic does provide a edge I choose to focus on market research?

3) costs
In terms of length, both is 4 years degree.
In terms of cost, both is rough the same and thus is of little concern to me.
In terms of distance to the respective faculty, it's also roughly the same.

4) employment prospects

Unisim marketing will more likely offer more employment opportunities but at a lesser starting pay then ntu sociology (keep in mind I am referring to employment prospects in the business industry). This is as unisim graduates have to go through a relevant 6 months internship and more networking opportunities as some of their modules is taken together with part time students who are already working full time. Ntu sociology does offer internship opportunities but from what I was told by the ntu sociology processor during my interview, only about 50 percent will go for it.

5) post-degree education

After working some time, I will be aiming to get a Mba. From what I understand, both degrees are recognised by the big 3 for Mba (hope I am not wrong on this. The info online is quite sparse on this)

My dilemma; to a pick a less reputable but more specialised and relevant degree or pick one that's more reputable and general in nature.


Side note : For those whose first response is to appeal, I have already started on my appealing processes. However, I do have to make a choice between this 2 offers by 2nd June and I do not want to rely on my appeal results in the event it turns sour. I am also not interested in taking a gap year.

Thank you for reading till the end of this post and I look forward to your input.
 

lolita_5

Banned
Joined
Jul 13, 2010
Messages
15,152
Reaction score
1,386
sociology can work in what job sia?

and why u so keen on mba?

anyway for marketing, don't really need a degree to break in
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
1) local vs local... unisim is not overseas iirc SIM GE

5) "recognised by the big 3 for Mba" what do u mean by this? where U plan to do your MBA? not all MBA are equal. any plans for honors degree?

btween NTU or UniSIM, I would go with NTU.
 
Last edited:

faithinfate

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
60
Reaction score
6
sociology can work in what job sia?

and why u so keen on mba?

anyway for marketing, don't really need a degree to break in

Sociology is a general degree that's allows you to work in various sectors like hr, public relations, marketing, academic research and so on. No fixed career path really.

As for getting Mba, it's something I am considering in the future and I don't want to be in a scenario in which I took a degree then find it hard to get a Mba I want afterwards.

And yeah I know marketing doesn't need a degree to break in. But my interest is towards a people oriented career so I want get something that I would like learning. I have a HR background so I also know of engineers who eventually become a marketing manager at a MNC. But a degree is a necessary requirement to reach a managerial level nowadays so I rather get something I am interested and good in.
 
Last edited:

faithinfate

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
60
Reaction score
6
1) local vs local... unisim is not overseas iirc SIM GE

5) "recognised by the big 3 for Mba" what do u mean by this? where U plan to do your MBA? not all MBA are equal. any plans for honors degree?

btween NTU or UniSIM, I would go with NTU.
.

Yes I know both is local u but ntu is still more established and recognised.

I am thinking of getting a Mba at smu, NTU, nus(big three). I admit more research is still needed on my part but I wouldn't want get a degree that's not recognized by these 3.

And yeah both of these degreees is a honour degree!
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
My bad, I still thought one of them offer honors optional.

Our local ivy takes ppl doing DL into their MBA program. What matter more is the work experience.
Then again our local MBA is over rated, ROI is better if u leave sg and go work in hk or china today

There are other reputable MBA in sg.
Ie
Insead
Warwick
The Warwick MBA 121 in Singapore

Then again a MBA is like 7-10 yrs away. Good bschool wouldn't take anyone with just 2-3 yrs of experience.
 
Last edited:

faithinfate

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
60
Reaction score
6
My bad, I still thought one of them offer honors optional.

Our local ivy takes ppl doing DL into their MBA program. What matter more is the work experience.
Then again our local MBA is over rated, ROI is better if u leave sg and go work in hk or china today

There are other reputable MBA in sg.
Ie
Insead
Warwick
The Warwick MBA 121 in Singapore

Then again a MBA is like 7-10 yrs away. Good bschool wouldn't take anyone with just 2-3 yrs of experience.

Thanks for your advice, it's quite enlightening and got me to realise that thinking about getting a Mba is too far ahead of myself.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
If u wanna stay in sg best to read MBA or masters from top uni say Oxbridge, LSE, Harvard, Stanford etc
I may think local ivy is ranked high on FT etc but stats can be misleading

Then MBA they make u pay a lot of money.
Masters from uk top uni is also expensive that's closer say 4yrs away after u get your degree. Many top USA don't offer terminal masters and u have to go for phd. U can do that right after done with Bach. Phd usually paid but duration is a lot longer than uk... I met ppl doing liberal arts major for like 7 yrs to grad. On avg is like 5 yr program.

To think of MBA is way to far away, masters or phd makes more sense.
 
Last edited:

Awesomeness

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Job prospects wise, marketing is a more practical degree. However, given the recognition gap, its up to you to evaluate how good the UNISM course is. You could take the NTU option and get marketing work experience during the holidays. that might be a good option. This is given you don't mind studying sociology instead of marketing.

Talk to lecturers and people who have done the degrees in both unis, and make the best decision for yourself

Good luck!
 

LightFang

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
  1. What do you plan to do in 5 yrs time when u had graduated from either of those 2 degrees u had mention
  2. How does having either of those 2 degrees help you establish a career on what u plan to do expect the obvious reason because of it's a degree

Since from what i had read u didn't exactly specify what u plan to do after u had graduated with either of those 2 degrees. Except of thinking of after a few years of work u plan on taking up a MBA.

If u have not plan it, u would have a much better luck by just tossing a coin and let fate decide for you since u do not have a clear goal in mind.
 

rollbread

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2006
Messages
11,911
Reaction score
0
4) employment prospects

Unisim marketing will more likely offer more employment opportunities but at a lesser starting pay then ntu sociology (keep in mind I am referring to employment prospects in the business industry). This is as unisim graduates have to go through a relevant 6 months internship and more networking opportunities as some of their modules is taken together with part time students who are already working full time. Ntu sociology does offer internship opportunities but from what I was told by the ntu sociology processor during my interview, only about 50 percent will go for it.

5) post-degree education

After working some time, I will be aiming to get a Mba. From what I understand, both degrees are recognised by the big 3 for Mba (hope I am not wrong on this. The info online is quite sparse on this)


Actually very simple. If you plan to work in private companies then go with unisim. If plan to work in public sector or government bodies then go with ntu.

As for post-degree, had heard of few cases where students from sim ge and psb academy with very good results had entered into masters course (not mba) from nus and ntu. So for unisim degree I believe will have chances to enter as well. For mba course its quite competitive and there will be students from other countries as well.
 

bugmenot45

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
1,581
Reaction score
0
How does sociology relate to your job?

I like to think I’m a social-behavioral analyst. I look at the qualitative aspects of customers or prospects visiting our site. I want to learn who they are and what kinds of companies they’re coming from and see if we can anticipate their needs. I may send out a survey and have face-to-face interviews and then overlay the results with various data sources. I look at social interactions, convert my findings into big data and extrapolate them into revenue-generating behavior. The people at Turnstone understand that I bring a sociological approach to marketing and content strategy, and they appreciate that I think out of the box.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/jobs/in-digital-marketing-the-sociology-of-the-sale.html
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top