Mental illness

liksome56

Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2013
Messages
420
Reaction score
129
When I was a young kid, I kept thinking I could see "things" in the dark in my bedroom and got quite frightened but somehow I grew out of it... how long has she/he been having this fear?
My family member is paranoid with smell since 1 year ago... But on somebody harming my family member in dark, about 10 years... It wasn't recently that my family member's action was showing fear and etc that we realise it could be form of mental health... Haiz
 

fandango

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2003
Messages
70,087
Reaction score
23,823
How do you convince a family member to see a mental doctor when they claim they are ok? I have try to soft-spoke that they seem unsound but was upright rejected/refused for few times... Any edmw with such situation?

It's tiring as caregiver to try to assure them it's ok and keep hearing about their fear daily...
Call police
 

kan-kon

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2014
Messages
7,121
Reaction score
2,879
How do you convince a family member to see a mental doctor when they claim they are ok? I have try to soft-spoke that they seem unsound but was upright rejected/refused for few times... Any edmw with such situation?

It's tiring as caregiver to try to assure them it's ok and keep hearing about their fear daily...
if they're hab suicidal intention, can try call pulis to intervene
 

Euqorab

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Messages
24,927
Reaction score
4,637
I can’t help you but I wish strength upon you

Try counselling maybe small step more acceptable… or join groups be it social religious sports etc etc
 

Itsthatguy

Master Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2010
Messages
4,839
Reaction score
2,973
How do you convince a family member to see a mental doctor when they claim they are ok? I have try to soft-spoke that they seem unsound but was upright rejected/refused for few times... Any edmw with such situation?

It's tiring as caregiver to try to assure them it's ok and keep hearing about their fear daily...

1) Google Lindsay Clancy case

2) Call IMH and ask them for suggestions (if any) because they would have came across many similiar cases of not wanting to see doctor.

3) Call social worker and ask if any suggestions to get the subject to see doctor.
 

plaingrain

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Messages
1,171
Reaction score
2,464
How do you convince a family member to see a mental doctor when they claim they are ok? I have try to soft-spoke that they seem unsound but was upright rejected/refused for few times... Any edmw with such situation?

It's tiring as caregiver to try to assure them it's ok and keep hearing about their fear daily...
You can't force him/her if he/she doesn't want to see a doctor. There are many potential mental illness patients in Singapore that went undiagnosed, it doesn't mean they are ok, it's just that they refuse to get treated so they continue to live outside of the treatment regime.

The symptoms you're suggesting sound like hallucinations to me, but I am not an expert so I cannot confirm if it's schizo. If one day your loved ones really go berserk and try to harm oneself or another, that's when the police are going to intervene and maybe send them to IMH for observation. So far that's the time proven way to get a mental sufferer who reject treatment to be hospitalised and given a thorough checkup.

For me, I'm a voluntary sufferer. My father was born in an asylum in Malaysia and my paternal grandmother had mental illness for large phases of her life, so I knew that I had faulty genes and I constantly needed clinical attention for my mental disorders. I willingly surrendered to the police and got handcuffed and hospitalised when I was suicidal in 2018. Before that I had begged my parents to take me to IMH A&E but even when that was done the shrink at the A&E didn't detect anything wrong with me so I went untreated.

Mental illness is an invisible disease, we may think that someone has it, but even when we bring him/her to see a specialist it may still go undetected. Not easy la. Since you have encountered someone in your family who might have mental illness, I have no clear cut solution for you other than empathy, compassion, and equanimity. May you cope with your rigours as a caregiver, and perhaps, through your gentleness and guidance you could encourage your loved one(s) that it's alright to see a mental healthcare specialist.

To start somewhere, you could bring him/her to either Geylang or Queenstown polyclinics to get your loved ones seeing a psychiatric doctor and getting a referral. Polyclinics are usually the first point of contact for mental patients, and it's useful because a referral from the polyclinic means that the future bills are heavily subsidised. It's better than walking into SGH or NUH and seeing a specialist straightaway, the bills are no joke without a proper subsidy.

For me, I was brought into IMH by the police, so I go back for followup every nine to 12 months and I pay around $30 for each visit, inclusive of medicine. It's not that expensive thanks to the Singapore Government's healthcare regime.
 

idolcritic

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2005
Messages
58,528
Reaction score
6,979
Mental illness is See doctor also no cure de
So they rather not admit and just live day by day.
If see doctor liao, is just go down a rabbit hole of endless consultations, eat medicine, waste money, with no cure in sight ...
 

Monstruo^

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
24,921
Reaction score
12,983
Oh...nope... Keep thinking someone in the dark trying to harm them
被害妄想症. Schizo. High vigilance or sth.
I got an ex who has this. Diagnosed. I saw her report.
Everyday thinks her friends not loyal to her, do bad to her, not good etc. Knn.

Only those who help themselves can be helped.
 

Reborn

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2001
Messages
44,099
Reaction score
17,375
You can't force him/her if he/she doesn't want to see a doctor. There are many potential mental illness patients in Singapore that went undiagnosed, it doesn't mean they are ok, it's just that they refuse to get treated so they continue to live outside of the treatment regime.

The symptoms you're suggesting sound like hallucinations to me, but I am not an expert so I cannot confirm if it's schizo. If one day your loved ones really go berserk and try to harm oneself or another, that's when the police are going to intervene and maybe send them to IMH for observation. So far that's the time proven way to get a mental sufferer who reject treatment to be hospitalised and given a thorough checkup.

For me, I'm a voluntary sufferer. My father was born in an asylum in Malaysia and my paternal grandmother had mental illness for large phases of her life, so I knew that I had faulty genes and I constantly needed clinical attention for my mental disorders. I willingly surrendered to the police and got handcuffed and hospitalised when I was suicidal in 2018. Before that I had begged my parents to take me to IMH A&E but even when that was done the shrink at the A&E didn't detect anything wrong with me so I went untreated.

Mental illness is an invisible disease, we may think that someone has it, but even when we bring him/her to see a specialist it may still go undetected. Not easy la. Since you have encountered someone in your family who might have mental illness, I have no clear cut solution for you other than empathy, compassion, and equanimity. May you cope with your rigours as a caregiver, and perhaps, through your gentleness and guidance you could encourage your loved one(s) that it's alright to see a mental healthcare specialist.

To start somewhere, you could bring him/her to either Geylang or Queenstown polyclinics to get your loved ones seeing a psychiatric doctor and getting a referral. Polyclinics are usually the first point of contact for mental patients, and it's useful because a referral from the polyclinic means that the future bills are heavily subsidised. It's better than walking into SGH or NUH and seeing a specialist straightaway, the bills are no joke without a proper subsidy.

For me, I was brought into IMH by the police, so I go back for followup every nine to 12 months and I pay around $30 for each visit, inclusive of medicine. It's not that expensive thanks to the Singapore Government's healthcare regime.
the one in your avatar is you?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top