Motherboard Option

crossroad85

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,

I am planning to get a new rig and was wondering which ASUS motherboard to get.

I am set on getting the i5 4460 but no sure about the motherboard.

Here are my options:

Asus Z87 Series
Asus H87 Series
Asus H97 Sereies

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
1)Budget?

2)Purpose of rig?

3)List of programs and games that will be installed on the rig.

4)Why Asus?
 

crossroad85

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Budget for Processor and motherboard 470 +/-. I just need my comp for work (MS office) and a multimedia rig. Don't do any gaming anymore.

Chose Asus because it gave me the least prob based on my past experience.

Wanted to consider the Devil's Canyon series but it's too expensive and I do think I need it for what the PC is intended for.

This was what I was considering:

Casing: Corsair Carbide 200R ATX w/Window
Motherboard: Asus H97-Pro H97
CPU: 4460 3.2
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9
Hardisk: WD Black 7200rpm (5Yrs) 1TB

Just wondering if i should Use a Z87 chipset or H87 Chipset since the processor does not require a intel 97 chipset
 
Last edited:

crossroad85

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Just watching movies and music.

Main thing i m looking for is my computer to be fuss free and last for at least 2 yrs
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
Just watching movies and music.

Main thing i m looking for is my computer to be fuss free and last for at least 2 yrs

1) You do not need an i5 to watch movies and do office work. Get a Pentium G3240 + Asus H81M-A at $165.

2) You do not need gaming RAM for office work. Get a Crucial DDR3-1600 8GB ValueRAM for $101.

3) Dump that WD Black. Get an Adata SP900 128GB for $99 and a WD Blue 1TB for $72 and get a much faster and responsive system.
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
Budget for Processor and motherboard 470 +/-. I just need my comp for work (MS office) and a multimedia rig. Don't do any gaming anymore.

Chose Asus because it gave me the least prob based on my past experience.

Wanted to consider the Devil's Canyon series but it's too expensive and I do think I need it for what the PC is intended for.

This was what I was considering:

Casing: Corsair Carbide 200R ATX w/Window
Motherboard: Asus H97-Pro H97
CPU: 4460 3.2
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9
Hardisk: WD Black 7200rpm (5Yrs) 1TB

Just wondering if i should Use a Z87 chipset or H87 Chipset since the processor does not require a intel 97 chipset

If u dun require Z97, den u also dun require Z87...
 

crossroad85

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I m considering the Z87 because the price for H97 is quite similar and I expect the Z series motherboard to be more robust
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
I m considering the Z87 because the price for H97 is quite similar and I expect the Z series motherboard to be more robust

Nowadays, motherboards from all brands and chipsets are quite reliable and can be trusted to last you quite a few years. Buying an Asus Maximus VI does not gurantee that the motherboard will last you for a decade and the H81M-A is not so low quality that it will burst into flames after 3 days. Thus, the only difference between chipsets is only in the amount of features in the motherboard. As you are only doing office work, you do not need the RAID function of the H-motherboard or the overclocking features on the Z-motherboard and buying these motherboards is overkill for your needs and a needless waste of money.
 

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
8,737
Reaction score
2,327
Get a B85 series motherboard, it's a 'business' chipset so it won't be as cut cost as H81. Kingston valueram and either Pentium or i3 good enough. Whatever it is get an SSD, don't waste money on a WD Black.
 

muddle

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2000
Messages
6,988
Reaction score
0
Ts should consider x99 and haswell e. That platform itself guarantees longetivity.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top