Motherboard or PSU died?

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
My specs are on the right.

Was watching youtube on my computer halfway when the power to the computer suddenly cut off. Thereafter, my PC is unable to start again. Nothing else in my house tripped, neither does my computer give out any burning smell.

I am suspecting it is the motherboard.

However, I did the paperclip test on my FSP Aurum S 550W, the fan spin for 1 second and stopped. Not sure if this is normal. I thought that fan should spin continuously during the paper clip test.

So now I am not sure which is the problem.
 

leo0o0

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
290
Reaction score
1
psu should continue running during paper clip test until you cut power. try testing with a spare psu if possible?
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
Now I think it might be power supply. I did the paper clip test with a molex LED strip. The strip doesn't light up. I am hoping it is not power supply. This is my second FSP PSU in 2 years after I RMA-ed the last one.
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,914
Reaction score
30,517
Now I think it might be power supply. I did the paper clip test with a molex LED strip. The strip doesn't light up. I am hoping it is not power supply. This is my second FSP PSU in 2 years after I RMA-ed the last one.

Good move. The proper way of doing paper clip test is to also have a small load. SMPS comes with a minimum current rating that people don't know they have.
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
I thought the other components of my PC escaped unscathed after my PSU died.

But when I play games, my PC will randomly power off then restart. It can be as random as consecutively 5 or 6 times within a dota game or recently, once in 4 months. This symptom happened a week after I started using the rma-ed PSU and only happened in games.

I finally got around to diagnosing. Tried to run furmark. The moment I clicked start, the furmark "eye" appeared n the pc power off n restarts. I tried furmark a couple more times n it happens everytime.

How do I confirm if it is gpu or motherboard problem?
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
Oh n before I brought this rma PSU home, tech dynamic ran furmark on their system. So probably not the PSU.
12v rails are ok on hwinfo as well.

GPU temps when I started furmark is 39 degrees. I don't think the gpu has time to heat up before the pc powers off
 
Last edited:

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,845
Reaction score
1,784
most r9 2xx should start dying liao. stop wasting time on dota and start another hobby
 

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
19,876
Reaction score
307
Almost 3 months now u restart the thread.....lol
I assume u changed the psu.....next culprit could be gpu.
Since your board got onboard gpu.....remove your gpu card n see hows the outcome.
Chances of gpu uplorry is higher than mobo.....
1. Psu
2. Gpu card
3. Ram

Top 3 killers.

Sent from Asus ME173X using GAGT
 
Last edited:

LiLAsN

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
2,700
Reaction score
510
I'll make it simple. Just because the replacement PSU worked for one week, does not rule out that it might still be the cause.
The PSU brand after all is FSP for goodness sake! The thing is, like what has been said many times before, it is never advisable to buy so many expensive parts but then cheapen out on the most important component of the system, the PSU.
A bad PSU might even kill your system just so you know.

Here's the clue as to why the PSU is the culprit again. Because it just shut off instead of showing a bluescreen error instead. It means that the PSU is unable to supply enough power to one of your PC components resulting in the whole system shutting down but once the system shuts, there will be ample power back to the system so the PC can start up again.

Do this for me. Reset any and all overclocks that you have done to the system especially the GPU and CPU. If it solves your problem, means the PSU is the cause. If you didn't overclock, then just RMA the PSU.

If I were you, I'd get an 80 Plus GOLD or higher rated PSU from other trusted brands but take note of the dangerous ones that have a high rate of failure.

I'll leave it to the others who have experience with cheap but low rate of failure PSUs that have never failed them to help advice you on which specific brand and model to buy. If you were to ask me, mine all cost around $200 and above. :s13:
But never ever ever buy FSP.
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
Is your rig working fine with the Superflower PSU?

Back track a bit. Back in May, my FSP PSU died while I was watching videos. I RMA-ed and they gave me a superflower leadex. Tech dynamic ran furmark with the sf leadex to confirm that it is ok before they passed it to me.

I only started experiencing this symptoms after I started using the RMA-ed sf leadex. About 2 weeks after I got the sf leadex in May, my PC power off when I game. Once, within a single dota game, it power off a few times and restart. I experienced this before, so I thought the 12v rail was unstable. I checked HWinfo and the voltages looked ok.

After that I moved house and got a new surge protector. All was ok since end May. Over the last weekend, the problem started happening again. So I tried to run furmark on my PC last night. I started furmark and the PC immediately power off. This happened everytime I tried to run furmark.

I am trying to get another secondary PSU to test first to rule out PSU problem. Then I will probably look at GPU problem.

550W SF leadex silver should be enough to run my system right?
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
did you try removing the GPU and use onboard video?

I will try. If I remove GPU, what stress tests can I do since the power off only happens when I game, whether it is low graphic games like dota or when I play witcher 3.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top