Motherboard or PSU problem for this issue?

Rivendell

Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2002
Messages
206
Reaction score
8
From a cold boot (turned off for few hours), I have to warm up the machine (either F8 before windows or go into BIOS and idle) for a few minutes before booting into Windows.
Otherwise it'll black screen right before the windows login screen appears.

The machine is 4years plus old, everything is fine for my current usage so if the chance is very high that it's just the PSU conking out, I'll just grab a PSU replacement.

So the question, which possibility is high?

MB: Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
PSU: Andyson 500W (from when it first appeared in the market IIRC)
 

poor_poor

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2012
Messages
1,480
Reaction score
1
From a cold boot (turned off for few hours), I have to warm up the machine (either F8 before windows or go into BIOS and idle) for a few minutes before booting into Windows.
Otherwise it'll black screen right before the windows login screen appears.

The machine is 4years plus old, everything is fine for my current usage so if the chance is very high that it's just the PSU conking out, I'll just grab a PSU replacement.

So the question, which possibility is high?

MB: Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
PSU: Andyson 500W (from when it first appeared in the market IIRC)

can you show full spec of your pc?

and which version of bios are you using?
 

Rivendell

Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2002
Messages
206
Reaction score
8
I don't think the BIOS version is of any use.
This machine has been working fine for the past 4 years..

I'd like to gather some data points from people who have experience dealing with more machines (than me) and poll their experience on it.
 

poor_poor

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2012
Messages
1,480
Reaction score
1
I don't think the BIOS version is of any use.
This machine has been working fine for the past 4 years..

I'd like to gather some data points from people who have experience dealing with more machines (than me) and poll their experience on it.

Okie :) than i will leave it to other expert user here
 

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Messages
6,757
Reaction score
533
This motherboard has metal capacitor. So, unlikely to be bloated cap. Why not just take out the RAM modules and put back again. If it still doesn't work, boot with 1 RAM module.
 

TheTechRevolutionist

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I think it's a RAM issue. I have similar previous situations. A change of the RAM solved the problem. If not, I will have to boot twice before the windows logo comes.

if not, try looking at your boot priority and see if the BIOS is trying to load from another device.

imo, rarely a psu problem
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top