Mt Fuji VS Mt Ringani VS YuShan??

sellun

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2013
Messages
1,487
Reaction score
51
Which one should i choose...... non-experience trekker however fitness still not bad, ippt silver standard.

Travel period around early july - mid july

Consider the scenery, cost, pre & post climb activities, difficulty.
So hard to choose :(
 

belgarathc

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
1,737
Reaction score
174
I feel weather is the most important criteria. So I will take out Yushan as it might be quite wet during your travelling period.

I have not been to Mt Fuji but a trip to Japan probably means you will travel for at least a week? As we all know, Japan isn't really a budget destination.

I feel Mt Rinjani is a good choice. It's relatively cheap and accessible. A 4D3N packaged trip to Lombok including 2D1N for the trek would be enough. Of course, a couple more days will allow you a more relaxed pace and chance to visit other parts of Lombok like the Gili Islands. Summit push is not easy but even if you don't do the summit, the views from the craters are already well worth the journey.

Disclaimer: I have only been to Yushan and Rinjani out of the 3 mountains.
 

david2012

Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
yushan

I feel weather is the most important criteria. So I will take out Yushan as it might be quite wet during your travelling period.

I have not been to Mt Fuji but a trip to Japan probably means you will travel for at least a week? As we all know, Japan isn't really a budget destination.

I feel Mt Rinjani is a good choice. It's relatively cheap and accessible. A 4D3N packaged trip to Lombok including 2D1N for the trek would be enough. Of course, a couple more days will allow you a more relaxed pace and chance to visit other parts of Lombok like the Gili Islands. Summit push is not easy but even if you don't do the summit, the views from the craters are already well worth the journey.

Disclaimer: I have only been to Yushan and Rinjani out of the 3 mountains.

I looking forward to climb yushan. Wanna share your xperience. Is it tough climbing up?
 

belgarathc

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
1,737
Reaction score
174
I looking forward to climb yushan. Wanna share your xperience. Is it tough climbing up?

I did the hike as a day trip and took around 11 hours starting and ending at the main road. It's a long day but still doable. It would probably be more enjoyable if you can spend a night on the mountain. As I did the hike in March, the area near the summit was slippery with ice. Otherwise, pretty okay I feel.
 

danielkok

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2001
Messages
1,092
Reaction score
0
Many options available in Indonesia for mountain hiking. Example Mt Merapi in Jogjakarta and Bromo nearer Surabaya.

The other would be Mt Kinabalu, or Gunung Tahan. Tahan is actually tougher than Kinabalu because it's not so commercialized.

Or if you have money, you can consider the tramping routes in New Zealand. Come with great views. Example is the world-famous Tongariro Alpine Trek.
 

david2012

Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
I did the hike as a day trip and took around 11 hours starting and ending at the main road. It's a long day but still doable. It would probably be more enjoyable if you can spend a night on the mountain. As I did the hike in March, the area near the summit was slippery with ice. Otherwise, pretty okay I feel.

Thank. U took 11 hrs to go up n down? Wow.....I likely will stay 1 or 2 nites.
 

belgarathc

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
1,737
Reaction score
174
Thank. U took 11 hrs to go up n down? Wow.....I likely will stay 1 or 2 nites.

Yep, I think that's a wiser choice. I went to Taiwan with a friend who isn't into this sort of activities so I could only took off for a day. :o

Anyway to TS, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me any questions you have.
 

david2012

Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Yep, I think that's a wiser choice. I went to Taiwan with a friend who isn't into this sort of activities so I could only took off for a day. :o

Anyway to TS, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me any questions you have.

Thank.
Had PM u. Pls chk msg
 

sellun

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2013
Messages
1,487
Reaction score
51
I feel weather is the most important criteria. So I will take out Yushan as it might be quite wet during your travelling period.

I have not been to Mt Fuji but a trip to Japan probably means you will travel for at least a week? As we all know, Japan isn't really a budget destination.

I feel Mt Rinjani is a good choice. It's relatively cheap and accessible. A 4D3N packaged trip to Lombok including 2D1N for the trek would be enough. Of course, a couple more days will allow you a more relaxed pace and chance to visit other parts of Lombok like the Gili Islands. Summit push is not easy but even if you don't do the summit, the views from the craters are already well worth the journey.

Disclaimer: I have only been to Yushan and Rinjani out of the 3 mountains.

wow! thanks for the detailed reply! When would be a good time to go for yushan? I thought its dry season in July for tw?

Actually after researching.. Mt Ringani plus Gili would cost about 1.2 - 1.5k also.. I think with that amount, mt Fuji is doable as well..

Summit push is really that hard? What if we take a 3D2N instead of 2D1N? It'll be more relax and easier, would it be doable for a average fitness 20+YO guy?

Many options available in Indonesia for mountain hiking. Example Mt Merapi in Jogjakarta and Bromo nearer Surabaya.

The other would be Mt Kinabalu, or Gunung Tahan. Tahan is actually tougher than Kinabalu because it's not so commercialized.

Or if you have money, you can consider the tramping routes in New Zealand. Come with great views. Example is the world-famous Tongariro Alpine Trek.

I see.. I happened to have different groups going these 3 places in july therefore i'm deciding which one to join. Definitely going for Kinabalu in the near future.. Will look into Tahan too. Anyone here wanna organize and jio me also can! :D

I'm actually going nz this coming late may - early june. Will explore afew easier routes because my group have quite afew girls. Will probably go nz again just for hike in the future.

Yep, I think that's a wiser choice. I went to Taiwan with a friend who isn't into this sort of activities so I could only took off for a day. :o

Anyway to TS, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me any questions you have.

I have very very very few friends who are into hiking too.. so hard to find someone to trek with.

Do you go hiking very often? where have you been to and where are you planning to go in the near future?
 

david2012

Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Agree, not easy to find trekking partners due to diff place of interest n timing. Also there is no thread to share.

I has yet to cross the 1000m mark summit.So I had nothing to talk about. But I'm doing my homework to prepare for higher by asking xperienced for advise.

Thank for sharing.

Fuji best climbing is in july to august. Believe there r trips organise by Japan sides.
 

belgarathc

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
1,737
Reaction score
174
My mistake, it should be 3D2N for Rinjani. :o My 5D4N trip to Lombok definitely cost me less than 800 SGD. But I didn't visit Gili.

My friends and I organise hiking trips to nearby countries regularly. But we don't do very hardcore stuffs. For example, in May we are hiking the 825m tall Mount Angsi and kayaking round Seletar Island & Sungei Khatib Bongsu. Of course, occasionally we make bigger trips to places like Nepal, Sikkim.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top