Multiple Bay NAS, no RAID - 1 drive or multiple drives

csc12345678

Master Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2001
Messages
3,794
Reaction score
241
Hi !


My current NAS, if I slot in the 2nd HDD, I can only have RAID or Linear 2. Linear 2 says that the 2 HDD will be combine as one to increase the capacity. This means that if one drive fail, the whole combined drive is affected.

I'm thinking of getting ASUS NAS. I wonder is this the same for ASUS ? Could I get 2 independent drives instead ? Just like having 2 HDD in a PC.


Thanks.
 

octacon

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,021
Reaction score
3
Hi !


My current NAS, if I slot in the 2nd HDD, I can only have RAID or Linear 2. Linear 2 says that the 2 HDD will be combine as one to increase the capacity. This means that if one drive fail, the whole combined drive is affected.

I'm thinking of getting ASUS NAS. I wonder is this the same for ASUS ? Could I get 2 independent drives instead ? Just like having 2 HDD in a PC.


Thanks.

Normally people buy nas is for redundency and scaling ( expansion), to raid it in Raid 1 or above , because any harddisk fail , your data is still intact ( of course with some overhead depending on how you raid it).
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top