Multiple tenures of Fixed Deposit

SkyNinja

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2008
Messages
14,743
Reaction score
2,727
Hi people. Some banks allow placement of $1k to $5k to start Fixed Deposit. If I got $20K, I can just create several placements e.g $2k, 2k, 5k, 5k, etc so that we won't be penalised if we want early withdrawal?

Will bank staff allow this method?
 

Slowdown

Master Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2003
Messages
3,616
Reaction score
886
This is common practice. I just created seven FD with Maybank last week. All done online. Will try to put the amount that meets the interest criteria. If the FD said can get X% for Y to Z dollar. Then you create as many FD as your have Y dollar lor. In my case I created seven. If I need money just break one of more whole still preserving the rest.
 

peppermint7

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2018
Messages
6,014
Reaction score
893
This is common practice. I just created seven FD with Maybank last week. All done online. Will try to put the amount that meets the interest criteria. If the FD said can get X% for Y to Z dollar. Then you create as many FD as your have Y dollar lor. In my case I created seven. If I need money just break one of more whole still preserving the rest.

This reminds me many years back i asked for 10 separate of $10k each and the counter lady face changed immediately :s13:

No choice mah. I never know when and how much I'll need my $ and in what proportion.
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,288
Reaction score
5,867
Hi people. Some banks allow placement of $1k to $5k to start Fixed Deposit. If I got $20K, I can just create several placements e.g $2k, 2k, 5k, 5k, etc so that we won't be penalised if we want early withdrawal?

Will bank staff allow this method?

Eh you said they allow and you are asking if they allow?
 

dork32

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
9,366
Reaction score
1,578
it is quite often that the interest is better for larger deposits
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,288
Reaction score
5,867
But seems like creating a lot of admin work for the staff?
it's no different from having 4 diff customers saying they want to put in 2k, 2k, 5k, 5k right?

and if you are so concern about creating admin work for them, then asking the question here changes what? We are not the one serving you what
 

dork32

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
9,366
Reaction score
1,578
it's no different from having 4 diff customers saying they want to put in 2k, 2k, 5k, 5k right?

and if you are so concern about creating admin work for them, then asking the question here changes what? We are not the one serving you what

i dont blame the customer. i blame the stupid bank

if the bank offer a higher interest for 10k and above, there will be less people doing such things.

and if customer still want to have multiple deposits, they will have to bear the admin cost, which is lower interest rates
 

peppermint7

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2018
Messages
6,014
Reaction score
893
But seems like creating a lot of admin work for the staff?

They should be thankful there's job for them to do. Otherwise they'll be laid off if there's no job. I was in service line in the past. I never blame customers who create jobs for me. Im thankful for them instead :)
 

Cryophoenix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2015
Messages
12,722
Reaction score
1,731
Can be done, just that it's more of a hassle for you to manage. I rather you set aside an emergency sum and place the rest in FD.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top