My R9 290 Waterblock Modding Project!

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
My waterblock is here!!!

Unfortunately, it won't fit my MSI card due to different PCB revision. There are no full cover waterblocks available for this card, so the only way is to try and mod it to fit.

Fortunately, I think its not that hard to mod.

mod1_zps50c8ebc1.jpg


First step is to file down the edge in the red square to make it fit..... Looks good. Copper block able to fit now. Very tedious work...I was using a hand file to slowly file down the copper....

mod2_zps7a0983aa.jpg


The grey marks shows where the caps are hitting the cover. I use the EK supplied thermal grease for pain markers...lol

Going to get my drill press and drill holes for the cover. NEed to go slow so I wont crack the plastic cover.

To be continued.......:s13:
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
Btw, I think its also possible to reuse the stock back plate. But need longer screws. going to source for it tomorrow.
 

GeForce

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
25
nice.. can use wet sandpaper to smoothen after filing.:s13:
sadly cannot buff.
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
nice.. can use wet sandpaper to smoothen after filing.:s13:
sadly cannot buff.

The area for the CPU and RAM not very good though. Can feel the ridges from the machining. Its not really flat. But then, still OK. I just finished the mod.

Temp is 49C in furmark. Not too bad. I have to use thick pads for the VRM though.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,730
Reaction score
1,554
The area for the CPU and RAM not very good though. Can feel the ridges from the machining. Its not really flat. But then, still OK. I just finished the mod.

Temp is 49C in furmark. Not too bad. I have to use thick pads for the VRM though.

Do be careful on furmark testing bro. Well known to cook vrms.
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
Do be careful on furmark testing bro. Well known to cook vrms.

Hi! Thanks for the advice. I think VRM is still ok. ITs not burning but just hot when I touch back of the card. Hotter than the core.

There is no backplate to cool the back of the card so maybe thats why. The stock back plate has a thermal pad at the VRM area to conduct the heat to the back plate.

I think I will need to get screws that could fit.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,730
Reaction score
1,554
Hi! Thanks for the advice. I think VRM is still ok. ITs not burning but just hot when I touch back of the card. Hotter than the core.

There is no backplate to cool the back of the card so maybe thats why. The stock back plate has a thermal pad at the VRM area to conduct the heat to the back plate.

I think I will need to get screws that could fit.

Monitor using gpuZ it will tell you what is the vrms temp. On stock cooler tested that the furmark, the vrms can go as high as 99deg.

Yes you need exactly the screws that came with your blocks. But with slightly a longer one.
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
Monitor using gpuZ it will tell you what is the vrms temp. On stock cooler tested that the furmark, the vrms can go as high as 99deg.

Yes you need exactly the screws that came with your blocks. But with slightly a longer one.

Yes, the VRM is crazy on the stock card. I just test run in CF mode. The stock card almost burnt my fingers. OK, the waterblock does work. The back of the card is hot but still bearable. I can put my finger there for 5s still ok. GPUZ says 56C but I don't know how accurate it is.

Maybe I just need to improve the VRM cooling a little to improve lifespan of the card.
 
Last edited:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,730
Reaction score
1,554
Yes, the VRM is crazy on the stock card. I just test run in CF mode. The stock card almost burnt my fingers. OK, the waterblock does work. The back of the card is hot but still bearable. I can put my finger there for 5s still ok. GPUZ says 56C but I don't know how accurate it is.

Maybe I just need to improve the VRM cooling a little to improve lifespan of the card.

Use a thicker thermal pad to transfer the heat over to the blocks.

Good stuffs. Jy! Keep the moding spirit up.
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
Use a thicker thermal pad to transfer the heat over to the blocks.

Good stuffs. Jy! Keep the moding spirit up.

Lol Thanks for the encouragement!!

Been a long long time since I am into computers and its sure fun!!

Btw, just ordered a 300W peltier from ebay. Going back to peltier cooling again, lol!!! Going to try it on my CPU and see if I could get to that 5GHz mark (just 200MHz away).
 

Yureak

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2008
Messages
18,905
Reaction score
33
Lol Thanks for the encouragement!!

Been a long long time since I am into computers and its sure fun!!

Btw, just ordered a 300W peltier from ebay. Going back to peltier cooling again, lol!!! Going to try it on my CPU and see if I could get to that 5GHz mark (just 200MHz away).

Thicker thermal pad doesnt mean better. Can get the Fujipoly Ultra Extreme off FCPU. The highest thermal conductivity vs any other pad
 

Yureak

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2008
Messages
18,905
Reaction score
33
Lol Thanks for the encouragement!!

Been a long long time since I am into computers and its sure fun!!

Btw, just ordered a 300W peltier from ebay. Going back to peltier cooling again, lol!!! Going to try it on my CPU and see if I could get to that 5GHz mark (just 200MHz away).

Careful with condensation. Peltier is sub ambient so water will condense around the socket,
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
Careful with condensation. Peltier is sub ambient so water will condense around the socket,

Thanks for the advice!!

Yup, I do feel believe there will be condensation issues. PReviously I use tar tape and close cell foam to insulate. Now I am trying to make something that looks nice. Something like a plastic cover to seal up so the tape and foam is not visible.
 

clon22

Suspended
Joined
Mar 31, 2004
Messages
9,070
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the advice!!

Yup, I do feel believe there will be condensation issues. PReviously I use tar tape and close cell foam to insulate. Now I am trying to make something that looks nice. Something like a plastic cover to seal up so the tape and foam is not visible.
Need help with insulation let me know. :D
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top