[NAS] Synology NAS owner club! - Part 2

Vulpix

Reaction score
[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Do you own a 2 bay, 4 bay, or maybe even an 8 bay Synology NAS? Come post here and share your thoughts, or help out other Synology NAS owners here! I'll post some useful tips every once in a while as long time permits.

What CPU does my Synology NAS have? http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have

For now, you guys do know your NAS got this awesome cloud function right? Go read up here: Synology Network Attached Storage - How to use Cloud Station to sync fil...

You can also mount ISO images this way: How to mount and use virtual disc fi... - Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience

Let's not forget the awesome amount of Synology apps for Android phones here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Synology+Inc.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I would like to ask about the synology NAS. 1817
Currently the warranty has already expired since 2018
2ndly, this is used for business purpose, I am worried about the backup part for redundancy. as I heard stories that the NAS spoiled because the motherboard failed. How do we get better support for the synology NAS.

Buy DS1821+ and new HDDs, copy data over from old NAS.

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buy DS1821+ and new HDDs, copy data over from old NAS.

OR buy 2 years extended warranty....
but no difference, as its cover only RMA... you still need to buy a DS1821+ and migrate all the HDD over... to keep your business running while its repairing...

bencheongcm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OR buy 2 years extended warranty....
but no difference, as its cover only RMA... you still need to buy a DS1821+ and migrate all the HDD over... to keep your business running while its repairing...
The extended warranty only for some models?

silver_frost

Reaction score
synology warranty

I had my DS918 (from ingram) replaced after 1 year of usage... downtime was about 1 month. No NAS no storage.

they didn't tell me what failed too... so just be wary...

Now am thinking of getting another model as it's about 3 years since my purchase. Any recommendation?

Current config
DS918+ w 8gb RAM
4xWD Red Pro

purely using it for photos.

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had my DS918 (from ingram) replaced after 1 year of usage... downtime was about 1 month. No NAS no storage.

they didn't tell me what failed too... so just be wary...

Now am thinking of getting another model as it's about 3 years since my purchase. Any recommendation?

Current config
DS918+ w 8gb RAM
4xWD Red Pro

purely using it for photos.

You won't feel any major improvement upgrading from 918 to DS920+, as the 2xSSD cache, DDR4 memory, J4125 CPU upgrades will have little or no impacts on your use case. (maybe SSD will speed up moments/photo loading thumbnails)

Anyway your unit still under warranty...can afford to wait a few months and see what synology announce in 2021...
https://laptrinhx.com/synology-2020-2021-everything-we-know-so-far-3250550411/

Last edited:

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody has idea if its possible to assign more ram and cpu to a VM? Previously assigned 2 cores and 6gb ram but feels underpowered, so thinking if can assign more to it without creating a new VM

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody has idea if its possible to assign more ram and cpu to a VM? Previously assigned 2 cores and 6gb ram but feels underpowered, so thinking if can assign more to it without creating a new VM

Did you stop the vm and edit the settings?
https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/help/Virtualization/virtual_machine

No sure which hardware u own, could be a hardware limitations. Even i allocate 8 CPU and 16GB to vmware on a Ryzen3900, its still sluggish... there is really not much room u can squeeze from Atom cpu....

Last edited:

qrcode

Reaction score
Sian, one of my NAS HDD indicated "Crash". Any good place now to buy new HDD? Thanks.

Btw: My NAS is two bay, both HDD in use now are identical, can I just replace the "crashed" one with another HDD or I have to use the same HDD for both bay? (i.e. I need to buy two HDD instead of just one)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.