Need advice on business degree

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
33,076
Reaction score
2
I am currently looking at either Management or Marketing, kindly advice which is better ie more marketable to employers.

I am due to finish my NS soon, mid 20s. I can qualify for NUS, NTU but time not on my side. Probably go there for my Masters if all goes to plan.
 

Havok_ex

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2008
Messages
1,812
Reaction score
0
So youre looking for a short distance-learning degree? Trust me, NUS NTU wont take you in for their masters with such a degree. Even with SIM-UOL 3 years long also damn difficult to get in, only heard of FCH getting in so far. Trust me, just go with NUS/NTU. You cannot go wrong, and in the long run, you will earn much more than your peers from those short degrees. When you're 50 years old, you'll wish you spent that extra year in local uni instead.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Why is time not on your side? Too old to start making $$$. 1 yr quickie wouldn't open doors a local ivy would.
Masters as in MBA? Without a good 1st degree and career progression to show on your résumé MBA wouldn't be easy. Of course if u do sales then local or short DL program wouldn't matter.

U looking at part time or full time? Short listed any program?
 

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
33,076
Reaction score
2
I am looking at Kaplan Murdoch. It's the only program whereby I am comfortable with both the duration and the fees. Anything longer or costlier is possible, but I might need a bank loan which I am not keen.

Did considered main stream uni, but was told it would take me 4 years. By then I would be 29, so it's really a no go for me considering my financial and family status.

I have an IT diploma. Although I did good in poly, I have no interest in the industry. I've worked as an Engineer and it is not something I want to do as a career.

I did business electives in school and aced in all of them, so I thought why not a business degree. I am just unsure which degree I should pursue.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
U are looking 16mths program? 9 classes and U get your degree? this is no Honors degree leh..
Bachelor of Commerce in Management

who told u its 4yrs in our local uni? did u get to verify their claim? U trust him/her/them so much more than the official website? U sure U qualify? they accepted U? local Uni you are taking 4-6 classes a term or 8-12 classes a yr.
NUS - BBA
Business students may freely choose and change their specialisations online at the beginning of every semester (including their very first semester). Indication of specialization usually takes place at the end of the 2nd year to the start of the 3rd year. Students typically enroll for modules that together are worth from 15 to 24 MCs (i.e. about 4 to 6 modules) in a regular semester; more can be taken on exceptional basis. It is theoretically possible to complete a BBA in 2 years, and a BBA(H) in 3 years.

Bachelor of Business
Our Bachelor of Business programme is a rigorous and broad-based three-year direct honours programme that will help you gain a global perspective and critical and analytical skills.
 
Last edited:

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
33,076
Reaction score
2
Paiseh if I didn't elaborate more in my earlier post.

If I go to NUS/NTU, I will have to do strictly IT degree since my diploma is in IT. And most IT courses are 4 years w/o exemptions.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
What kind of IT diploma? Name poly and actual diploma.
If u can get in most of the ppl I know get exemptions when they do EE comp sci
http://sce.ntu.edu.sg/CurrentStudents/Undergraduate/Documents/CS_Poly_2011.pdf
 
Last edited:

Havok_ex

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2008
Messages
1,812
Reaction score
0
Okay, now its starting to make more sense. But you have to ask yourself. What are the opportunities with a biz degree from kaplan? Try calling them up and ask them if they can give you a statistic on employment rate for their graduates. The thing is, biz is actually a very general degree. But if the employment rate is good then go for it. But if its not, you'd just be wasting more time and money.

IMHO, biz doesnt impart much skills. Even if it does, there's nothing much that you cant learn yourself. Unlike an engin or IT degree where the skills taught cant be so easily picked up.
Not all degrees will land you a good job. This is a fact. But thats up to you. Im just an online stranger.
 

limkopilimteh

Senior Member
Joined
May 17, 2012
Messages
572
Reaction score
0
go to the govt Uni, provided u can get in first.
i believe you could choose a minor in biz. thereafter, u can do a MBA.
 

wav35_

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
2,461
Reaction score
587
are shorter private degrees really worth it? you are still paying a 5-digit sum of money. if wanna choose the private route (when u are eligible for local uni), i feel only SIM is ok, though you pay more and they take longer to complete. i know of some private companies who only take in local uni grads but they still take in some SIM grads sometimes but never hear them accepting Kaplan, PSB etc grads. and SIM do partner some well-known unis like Manchester and Birmingham. granted its private, but at least your degree comes from better known unis, quality of teaching is better and there is QC (gpa 3.0).

but if you can gain entry to NTU biz, its still the best. 3-year direct honours and it will open more doors for you. the more time spent will not go to waste.
 

Havok_ex

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2008
Messages
1,812
Reaction score
0
Agreed. If you are looking into private institutes, I will highly recommend SIM, anything other than that is a big risk.
 

bugmenot45

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
1,581
Reaction score
0
Agreed. If you are looking into private institutes, I will highly recommend SIM, anything other than that is a big risk.

I'm biased but...
I'll recommend SIM-UOL specifically.
NOT SIM-RMIT or some of the other schools...
 

Valkyrie

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,596
Reaction score
333
Paiseh if I didn't elaborate more in my earlier post.

If I go to NUS/NTU, I will have to do strictly IT degree since my diploma is in IT. And most IT courses are 4 years w/o exemptions.

You got absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It is possible to get into NUS/NTU/SMU business with an IT diploma as long as it is from a local polytechnic. It is also possible to complete that course in less than 4 years.
 

McFadden

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Messages
9,020
Reaction score
953

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
33,076
Reaction score
2
Thanks all. I went down for a talk with the course manager.

After weighing all the factors such as duration, course fees and recognition, I'm taking up Marketing.
 

campbellronald7

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Both fields are good management as well marketing but marketing is a great field to get into as you can experience the ongoing market & conditions much closer on outskirts bases there is much more client interaction that can help you learn and grow. Thus in management field you need to be more problem solver as well as a quick decision maker and come up with different plans & Strategy for any upcoming projects. So it’s your decisions about what career suits you .

So Best of luck!!!!
 

ImFromPipiForum

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Messages
42,922
Reaction score
2
Thanks all. I went down for a talk with the course manager.

After weighing all the factors such as duration, course fees and recognition, I'm taking up Marketing.

hi bro...

Kaplan murdoch university degree in marketing?
 

ImFromPipiForum

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Messages
42,922
Reaction score
2
are shorter private degrees really worth it? you are still paying a 5-digit sum of money. if wanna choose the private route (when u are eligible for local uni), i feel only SIM is ok, though you pay more and they take longer to complete. i know of some private companies who only take in local uni grads but they still take in some SIM grads sometimes but never hear them accepting Kaplan, PSB etc grads. and SIM do partner some well-known unis like Manchester and Birmingham. granted its private, but at least your degree comes from better known unis, quality of teaching is better and there is QC (gpa 3.0).

but if you can gain entry to NTU biz, its still the best. 3-year direct honours and it will open more doors for you. the more time spent will not go to waste.

but the cert is not from Kaplan or PSB ma. it's from overseas uni.

but I do agree Kaplan is too good to be true. other uni need 3 yrs to complete but Kaplan Murdoch only need 16 mths and they took also 9 modules.

btw, anyone know SIM degree in marketing need how long to complete?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top