Need help building two new computer

lrainyl

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2014
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,

I am new here and want to build two computer with monitor. One for my girl and one for myself. Both budget will be 1.5k each.

Usage:
Games (Dota2, Guildwar 2) @ High setting
Microsoft Words & ETC..
Very light photo editing.
Net surfing & watch video online

We don't need keyboard and mouse

Should we use Wireless adaptor or buy a cat5e cable?
Should I find Fortan/Ivan or GS ?
Kindly advice us :) Thanks in advance!
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Go for LAN Cable

MSI B85M G43 + i5-4570 ~ $355
Gskills Ripjaws 1600mhz 2x4gb kit blue ~ $110
WD Blue 1tb ~ $67
Crucial MX100 256gb ~ $161
Zotac GTX750ti 2gb ~ $208
Superflower HX500 500w 80+ Gold Semi Modular PSU ~ $88
Sharkoon BD28 ~ $72
Samsung DVD Drive ~ $21
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM ~ $110

Total ~ $1192 per pc. Buy at tradepac. DIY or send it to Nigel shop and fix.
 

lrainyl

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2014
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Go for LAN Cable

MSI B85M G43 + i5-4570 ~ $355
Gskills Ripjaws 1600mhz 2x4gb kit blue ~ $110
WD Blue 1tb ~ $67
Crucial MX100 256gb ~ $161
Zotac GTX750ti 2gb ~ $208
Superflower HX500 500w 80+ Gold Semi Modular PSU ~ $88
Sharkoon BD28 ~ $72
Samsung DVD Drive ~ $21
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM ~ $110

Total ~ $1192 per pc. Buy at tradepac. DIY or send it to Nigel shop and fix.

Hi roy ! Thanks for the recommendation. Just a few questions,
- Will the cat5e cable be alright ?
- Is there any available monitor for me to purchase over at tradepac ?
- Are there anymore gpu you can recommend? Will it be too overkill if I use r9 280x ?
 

EienShouko

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2013
Messages
522
Reaction score
10
Hi roy ! Thanks for the recommendation. Just a few questions,
- Will the cat5e cable be alright ?
- Is there any available monitor for me to purchase over at tradepac ?
- Are there anymore gpu you can recommend? Will it be too overkill if I use r9 280x ?

750Ti is good enough to play GW2 at high.
I'd get the 280X for future proofing since you have enough budget.
 

lrainyl

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2014
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
750Ti is good enough to play GW2 at high.
I'd get the 280X for future proofing since you have enough budget.

Will it be advisable for me to purchase all the components over at US as I am working here? I will return to Singapore in a month time and then I bring it over to GS.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Hi roy ! Thanks for the recommendation. Just a few questions,
- Will the cat5e cable be alright ?
- Is there any available monitor for me to purchase over at tradepac ?
- Are there anymore gpu you can recommend? Will it be too overkill if I use r9 280x ?

Yes lab cable is enough. And there is monitor to purchase in Tradepac. It is overkill to buy a 280x for your usage.

Will it be advisable for me to purchase all the components over at US as I am working here? I will return to Singapore in a month time and then I bring it over to GS.

That will be your call. If you are going to reside in SG more often it is best to buy locally.
 

lrainyl

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2014
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Yes lab cable is enough. And there is monitor to purchase in Tradepac. It is overkill to buy a 280x for your usage.



That will be your call. If you are going to reside in SG more often it is best to buy locally.

May I trouble you to recommend me a monitor ?
 

lrainyl

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2014
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Alright! I did some reading on forum but may I find all or most of the components at GS shop ?
 

EienShouko

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2013
Messages
522
Reaction score
10
Will it be advisable for me to purchase all the components over at US as I am working here? I will return to Singapore in a month time and then I bring it over to GS.

I would buy all my components in the US.
You can go for much higher grade components due to the better pricing.
While RMA is an issue, as long as you're going to be going back to the US regularly, I wouldn't worry about it.
 

lrainyl

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2014
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, my final thought for the configuration. Give me some advice on the components. Thank you.

MSI H97 Gaming 3 + i5 4460
WD Green 2T
Samsung DVDRW
Crucial mx100 254GB
G.skill 4GBx2
Corsair 300r window
superflower 650gold
zotac gtx760 amp edition
dell 2440l or philips 27inch monitor @ 499
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
1) Are you going to do a RAID array with this system? If not, I believe that a cheaper B85 motherboard will be more suitable for your needs.( I will not stop you if you want a H97 motherboard though.)

2) Must your HDD be of 2TB capacity? I have some concerns about using WD Greens for a storage drive in a gaming computer. This is due to the fact that WD Greens tend to spin at a slow speed of 5400 RPM when compared to conventional HDDs that spins at a speed of 7200RPM. This may lead to reduced read/write speeds in the HDD which may adversely affect load times if you install games in the HDD.( You may want to check with the others on this though.)
 

lrainyl

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2014
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
1) Are you going to do a RAID array with this system? If not, I believe that a cheaper B85 motherboard will be more suitable for your needs.( I will not stop you if you want a H97 motherboard though.)

2) Must your HDD be of 2TB capacity? I have some concerns about using WD Greens for a storage drive in a gaming computer. This is due to the fact that WD Greens tend to spin at a slow speed of 5400 RPM when compared to conventional HDDs that spins at a speed of 7200RPM. This may lead to reduced read/write speeds in the HDD which may adversely affect load times if you install games in the HDD.( You may want to check with the others on this though.)


Hi! Thanks for the advice:)

1) Which motherboard will you recommend me for my needs?

2) Which colour of WD will you recommend? I might need 2TB is due to lot of movies storage.

Is there any other good GPU to recommend for my needs?
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
Hi! Thanks for the advice:)

1) Which motherboard will you recommend me for my needs?

2) Which colour of WD will you recommend? I might need 2TB is due to lot of movies storage.

Is there any other good GPU to recommend for my needs?

1)Nowadays, all brands of motherboards are generally reliable and thus any B85 motherboard is fine. Just pick the one that you think that has features and PCI-e slot arrangement that best suits your needs.

2) I wish I can say Blue, but WD Blue has a maximum size of 1TB, the 10000 RPM Black is overkill for a system with a SSD, and WD Red and Purple has the same Intellispin feature as Greens that causes it to have a spin rate of 5400 RPM. You can either buy a Blue for games and a Green for storage or simply seek other brands. Alternative HDD brands offer HDDs of various sizes generally with a spin rate of 7200 RPM unless it is a 'green' version which goes at a speed of 5400RPM.

3) A GTX 750ti would actually be enough to play Guild Wars and DOTA. However, if you want a mainstream GPU, try the R9 270X for a cheaper alternative with an almost similar performance.
 

wkweewee

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
26,900
Reaction score
14
Hi! Thanks for the advice:)

1) Which motherboard will you recommend me for my needs?

2) Which colour of WD will you recommend? I might need 2TB is due to lot of movies storage.

Is there any other good GPU to recommend for my needs?

Mobo wise what Mr Alternative said is very true. As for your hard disk question, personally I do not like the WD blue and green versions due to the durability issues I had with these drives previously. While I agree that while 7200rpm hds have a better access time as compared to a 5400rpm hd statistically, do note that you are mainly using the hd for STORAGE. I do advise you to get a usb3.0 xfer rate hd where you can go for higher capacity hd at a lower cost/internal hd of other brands (be it running at 5400rpm/7200rpm). In the past, there was a hype with the 7200rpm and 10000rpm hds due to the fact that people were using them as os drives as ssds were very expensive back then. They have significant improvement which can be seen visibly as frequent read-writes are common on an os drive.

On the other hand, for storage wise, the minute visible improvement might not be a deal breaker so much so to make a 5400rpm hd obsolete. That is why you still see a mass production of these drives even till today. *But more importantly, you are not constantly installing programmes and running them on storage drives.* Of course if your budget allows, you can always go for higher rpm drives though the small performance improvement is always subjective to individuals in the viewpoints of storage purposes, and whether or not can your eyes really pick up the difference between milliseconds and a few seconds of your time.

*On a side note, install your os, games and other programmes on your mx ssd and after which, move those installers' exe files to your hd. Do not install games on a hd if you have a ssd lol.
 
Last edited:

tensaixp

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
733
Reaction score
0
Or alternatively, you can get a HSGT 7200 rpm drives for storage. I got mine at the IT fair for 200+ for a 4TB one. Copies much faster than my old 2 TB green.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top