Need help identifying weird PC ticking sound

wolnavi

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2013
Messages
705
Reaction score
3
Hi guys, so short background, was using my PC halfway one day and power tripped. found out PSU popped and changed it..

Now my PC has a weird ticking noise, I took everything back out from the case to isolate and it might be coming from my HDDs, as the PSU was silent. But I am not 100% sure if the ticking is cause of the HDDs? Need your expertise to verify if this is the dreaded HDD click of death? But my SMART data so far all good, just that one of the drive is at 50C

The sounds can be heard around the following timestamps:
  • 0:00
  • 0:10
  • 0:21
  • 0:23
  • 0:35

I've tried to boost the sound as much as possible, so you might have to up the volume a bit more..




Thanks
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,027
Reaction score
8,286
Any way to tell which HDD is the one besides manually listening to each one of them?

How to tell if you dont listen 🤣

Test them 1 by 1, unplug the rest.

OR if you unplug all and the sound is still there
 

tsteo77

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2011
Messages
1,543
Reaction score
216
Any way to tell which HDD is the one besides manually listening to each one of them?
I assume if you don't wish to put your ear close to the hdd to listen hard for clicking sound. Try plug in one hdd at a time to check which is the faulty hdd then. Changing port and cable might also identify if problem not the hdd.
 

wolnavi

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2013
Messages
705
Reaction score
3
I’m so confused now…

I have
  • 1x WD Black 2TB
  • 1x Toshiba 6TB
  • 2x WD Black 6TB
  • 1x WD Black D10 External Drive 8TB

And I unplugged every one of them and plugged them one by one to listen to them individually

And all of them have that stupid clicking sound!

One of the WD Black 6TB had a worse grinding sound, that one is definitely failing no matter what

Looks like I’m gonna be in huge debt now to replace all of them… fk
 

naked123

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
7,653
Reaction score
1,011
I’m so confused now…

I have
  • 1x WD Black 2TB
  • 1x Toshiba 6TB
  • 2x WD Black 6TB
  • 1x WD Black D10 External Drive 8TB

And I unplugged every one of them and plugged them one by one to listen to them individually

And all of them have that stupid clicking sound!

One of the WD Black 6TB had a worse grinding sound, that one is definitely failing no matter what

Looks like I’m gonna be in huge debt now to replace all of them… fk

rip
 

tigerwoods

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2005
Messages
11,406
Reaction score
2,632
I’m so confused now…

I have
  • 1x WD Black 2TB
  • 1x Toshiba 6TB
  • 2x WD Black 6TB
  • 1x WD Black D10 External Drive 8TB

And I unplugged every one of them and plugged them one by one to listen to them individually

And all of them have that stupid clicking sound!

One of the WD Black 6TB had a worse grinding sound, that one is definitely failing no matter what

Looks like I’m gonna be in huge debt now to replace all of them… fk
Your PC not plug into surge protector?
 

oddbasket

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2003
Messages
24,254
Reaction score
5,931
Should have disconnected your case fans when you took the video to reduce noise, maybe the sound came from a fan near you hdd cage, who knows?
 

wolnavi

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2013
Messages
705
Reaction score
3
Your PC not plug into surge protector?
Got, when power tripped the surge protection also got taken away, now the surge protection LED no more lit up

Should have disconnected your case fans when you took the video to reduce noise, maybe the sound came from a fan near you hdd cage, who knows?
Ok tonight I try, I stay near the future Loyang Viaduct so very noisy during daytime can’t tell the difference of the noise
 

oddbasket

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2003
Messages
24,254
Reaction score
5,931
Ok tonight I try, I stay near the future Loyang Viaduct so very noisy during daytime can’t tell the difference of the noise
While you're at it put a finger onto the centre of each fan on your gpu and cpu one by one to stop it momentarily and see if the sound goes away, at least to eliminate them as the culprit. Fans usually spin slower and sometimes start making noise when starting to fail.
 

wolnavi

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2013
Messages
705
Reaction score
3
While you're at it put a finger onto the centre of each fan on your gpu and cpu one by one to stop it momentarily and see if the sound goes away, at least to eliminate them as the culprit. Fans usually spin slower and sometimes start making noise when starting to fail.
Ok will do thanks

Bro quickly backup your data and MTL🙏🙏
Yes, for now I won’t power up the drives, waiting for 10.10 to buy new NAS before backing it all up
 

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
15,998
Reaction score
6,511
Sounds more like fan rattle and hit onto a grille or a loose cable, than hdd click of death
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top