Need help on Yangon

five5five

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
467
Reaction score
2
Looks like the place still not hot yet. 4D3N there, google alot and found mostly same place to go. Will want to take the slow circular train ride. Any great hidden place to go? Great off the beaten track... and... I want food!!!

Found only a couple of food hunt, the rest I have to hit the street and hunt them down.

Thanks folks!
 

sendtolee

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
940
Reaction score
0
Looks like the place still not hot yet. 4D3N there, google alot and found mostly same place to go. Will want to take the slow circular train ride. Any great hidden place to go? Great off the beaten track... and... I want food!!!

Found only a couple of food hunt, the rest I have to hit the street and hunt them down.

Thanks folks!

First, the local food there is very oily, spicy and salty. Oily as in you will see a very thick layer of oil.
Next, depends on where you go, some places are not advisable due to the escalated ethnice clashes.
Third, Yangon is very popular now with very expensive hotel rates even for budget as not enough accommodation to cater to the visitors.
 

Ekspakk

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
213
Reaction score
1
Just went to Myanmar last Aug, my 2nd time...

Yangon itself nothing much to do, so 4D3N might be too long, but might not be enough to go to other place like bagan, inle lake, etc... So maybe you can go to the Golden Rock instead, which I think is around 6 hour drive from Yangon.

In terms of food, there are no so many new restaurants opening in Yangon, most of them coming from Singapore.

But my suggestion:
Feel Resturant - Probably the best place to try local food, popular for both tourist and locals.
999 Shan Noodle House - Popular noodle house, not sure if locals eat here, but when I went there it's mostly tourist
Golden Duck - If you are sick of Burmese food and want to eat local Chinese food, it's Cantonese style cooking, their roasted duck not bad, also very cheap.
 

Gerridin

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2017
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Is it still safe to travel to Myanmar? I will be going to Yangon, Bagon and Kalaw in December.
 

yawen94

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2012
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
It's pretty safe.

I just back from Yangon. Btw I was doing solo backpacking and I am a girl.

I went to Yangon and Bagan.
 

Gerridin

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2017
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
It's pretty safe.

I just back from Yangon. Btw I was doing solo backpacking and I am a girl.

I went to Yangon and Bagan.

I am a girl and I'll be solo travelling to Myanmar too. Did you get a sim card from the airport?
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,029
Reaction score
1,918
The Myanmar government is on the alert for bombs and incidents in the rest of the country as a result of the security problem in the western part of the country.
 

toolbox03

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
65,621
Reaction score
31,205
Just went to Myanmar last Aug, my 2nd time...

Yangon itself nothing much to do, so 4D3N might be too long, but might not be enough to go to other place like bagan, inle lake, etc... So maybe you can go to the Golden Rock instead, which I think is around 6 hour drive from Yangon.

In terms of food, there are no so many new restaurants opening in Yangon, most of them coming from Singapore.

But my suggestion:
Feel Resturant - Probably the best place to try local food, popular for both tourist and locals.
999 Shan Noodle House - Popular noodle house, not sure if locals eat here, but when I went there it's mostly tourist
Golden Duck - If you are sick of Burmese food and want to eat local Chinese food, it's Cantonese style cooking, their roasted duck not bad, also very cheap.

Any recommended tour bus to go lake inle?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top