Need help to recommend a Mid/High Value for $$$ Rig

Flanky

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,298
Reaction score
146
Hi,

Sorry for the lengthy text, but thought need to express my thoughts better :s22:

I was previously using
i7-920 cpu (with CM V8 HSF)
X58 EVGA MB
CM 690 casing (1st gen)

Currently encounter booting up issues (blank screen), thus I decided to upgrade my rig after 5yrs.

I will be reusing my
OS (Win7)
Storage (SSD + 4 other various size HDD)
RAM (2x 8GB Kingston DDR3 1600)
GFX card (R9 270X)
PSU (Seasonic 750W)
DVD-RW drive
Mouse/ Keyboard/ Monitor/ etc

As I was not following the IT tech scene the past couple of years, I need help recommendations in getting a mid-high end rig
CPU (at least i5 – I would like to “future proof” as I am not a frequent platform upgrader)
MB (prefer with 8 or more SATA ports, with built-in RAID (I only make use of Raid 1 before), as I have a few HDDs)
Casing (something similar to CM690 in terms of “spaciousness”)
3rd party HSF (if stock Intel cooler not good enough for slight overclocking)

My considerations:
CPU
I am an occasional gamer, would like a rig that can play current/future games (e.g. GTA5) smoothly. I am not looking for extreme frame rates.
I am not looking to OC much, but like to have a peace of mind knowing the CPU/ MB have headroom to push when I feel like it. (will be running stock most of the time)
Intel based -> prefer stability. Do not mind paying a bit more as I would like my rig to last another 3-5 years (unless SW have quantum leap in complexity – e.g. I am still comfortable with my i7-920, just that I suspect the MB died)
I was reading through a bit, and realised that Haswell CPU series recently was “refreshed”?
What is the most value for money CPU? Price range seems similar. Looking for a most current series of mid range CPU (i5 and above – but no need those i7 ‘X’ series)
Worth waiting for “Devil’s Canyon” series?
What are the difference with Haswell Refresh and Devil’s Canyon?

Was looking at Amazon price range, also have ‘S’ series? What are ‘S’ series? (e.g. i5-4690, i5-4690K, i5-4590S) (all can ship to SG, not sure if any cheaper only)
4690 and 4690K only seems about US$15 more, so I do not mind paying if it is higher performance. (whereas 4790K is USD$100 more, so range too far off)
So what series and what CPU to get? (I can wait a while… I can live without my comp for a couple of weeks – have office laptop and my tablet to entertain me)

Motherboard
MB to be future proof as possible, with expandability options… (Z97 chipset??? – what is the diff between Z and H? Z/B/H87 series??)
Willing to pay slightly more to have “good to have feature”, if the price premium is not too much (5-10%)
Not willing to pay a premium for “extreme” capabilities (e.g. $1000+ cpu, $500+ MB). I always have the thought that the top range of any item is over-priced, as I would like value for money stuff.
Stable is good.

Casing
Was previously using CM690, but it is lacking USB 3.0 headers, and a bit too dusty. Cable Management I feel a bit squeezed.
So looking for a mid-tower casing that have good and easy to clean dust filters, ample space and HDD bays to work/ move around
Budget for the case should not be more than $150, but if a $50 casing serve the same purpose, I will take the $50 one.
Outlook of the case is secondary, functionality more impt.
If got a cheap and good Aluminium casing, I would like that too – lighter and rust proof.

HSF
Good/ Affordable HSF. Do not require water cooling. Knowing it keeps the CPU cool in SG weather is good enough. Does the current Intel default cooler have any slight overclocking headroom? Is it good enough for normal use? Do not mind spending a bit for a cheap and good (better) HSF (up to $50?)

Bottom line, I am a working person, but not willing to pay more if not required.

Please feel free to state your thoughts.

Thanks.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,727
Reaction score
1,553
Please state your budget, and other things that you will need. Things such as, OS, monitor, speakers, wifi, and lastly keyboard and mouse.
 

Jian19

Honorary Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
100,983
Reaction score
27,699
i5-4590 + Gigabyte h97m d3h ~ $430
Ram reuse
Ssd , hdd reuse
Powercolor 290 pcs+ ~ $499
Psu reuse
Optical drive reuse
Fractal design arc midi r2 ~ $130
OS reuse

$1059 buy and DIY @ tradepac ask for discount.

Might wan to consider a 290 if u keen to play next gen games on ultra or max settings, if psu use more then 3 years might wan to consider get a new one too, but since its Seasonic x series u should be fine to reuse it.
 

Flanky

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,298
Reaction score
146
thanks thanks.
@royfrost I actually don't have a budget in mind, but not willing to pay a premium if not required to do so.

@Jian19 the case looks good! good filtering :) Any other case with similar feature that you know of?
any recommendations for a MB with 8-10 SATA ports?
I will be reusing my GFX card too for now. (R9-270X)
What is the discount achievable at Tradepac usually?
So a 3rd party HSF not necessary nowadays?

Or can I somehow "wash" my CM V8 and reuse it? not sure how the mounting holes will fit... (i7-920 was a 1366pin CPU, how is 1150? same holes?)
 

daniel798

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2010
Messages
561
Reaction score
0
If you are not intending to overclock, the out of box cpu fan is good enough. Intel would not include the fan there if it cannot sufficiently cool the cpu. Unless you want go go for low noise or overclock your cpu, no need for a third party cooler.

Btw, a good cheap one is cm 212 evo
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,286
Reaction score
420
If you are not intending to overclock, the out of box cpu fan is good enough. Intel would not include the fan there if it cannot sufficiently cool the cpu. Unless you want go go for low noise or overclock your cpu, no need for a third party cooler.

Btw, a good cheap one is cm 212 evo

CM 212 evo EOL le, replaced by 212x which is at least $59 or 69. Just get deepcool gamamxx 200/300 at $29/39 will do. Works as well as the 212x.

thanks thanks.
@royfrost I actually don't have a budget in mind, but not willing to pay a premium if not required to do so.

@Jian19 the case looks good! good filtering :) Any other case with similar feature that you know of?
any recommendations for a MB with 8-10 SATA ports?
I will be reusing my GFX card too for now. (R9-270X)
What is the discount achievable at Tradepac usually?
So a 3rd party HSF not necessary nowadays?

Or can I somehow "wash" my CM V8 and reuse it? not sure how the mounting holes will fit... (i7-920 was a 1366pin CPU, how is 1150? same holes?)

Usually, Z series will have more than 6 SATA ports. B85 and H87/97 are limited to 6, Z series can have 6-10 SATA, in which the last 2 are controled by Asmedia instead of Intel...

So, if u want more, den u may need to get the cheapest Z series.. Btw, do you need so many?
 
Last edited:

moomoox3

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2012
Messages
580
Reaction score
5
thanks thanks.
@royfrost I actually don't have a budget in mind, but not willing to pay a premium if not required to do so.

@Jian19 the case looks good! good filtering :) Any other case with similar feature that you know of?
any recommendations for a MB with 8-10 SATA ports?
I will be reusing my GFX card too for now. (R9-270X)
What is the discount achievable at Tradepac usually?
So a 3rd party HSF not necessary nowadays?

Or can I somehow "wash" my CM V8 and reuse it? not sure how the mounting holes will fit... (i7-920 was a 1366pin CPU, how is 1150? same holes?)

If you want get more discount and bargain power best you go during weekday that time me and my fren went on weekday we get more discount compare to Saturday which they are very busy and very stingy in giving me the best price
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top