Need help w speaker recommendation

keithchew17

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I am complete noob in speakers and mostly anything audio related so i need some advice from the pros.
I am looking for 2.0 speakers for my setup and i prefer not to have 2.1 due to severe space constraints. My usage is mainly gaming music and movies. I do not do recording or music recording.
Initially almost wanted to get audioengine a2+ as I was really liking it but then read some other threads saying monitors like mackie cr4 and presonus are better at a cheaper price. Then again I read stuff like speakers needing dac and amps confuses me.
Really need some advice or recommendations from the pros. Much appreciated! Budget preferably arnd 200 to 400
 
Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
well im not those audiophile people but im just here to tell u maybe u can stated your budget so people can reco u the speaker to fit ur budget as well as getting good music.
 

Piezoq

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2010
Messages
1,567
Reaction score
0
If you're not keen on spending more than $500, the A2+ are a good solid option. Just connect to the onboard sound 3.5mm jack. Enjoyable videos, music, and gaming. Of course if you can shop around and demo them, you can buy your preferences.

Amps are for passive speakers. Any speaker that accepts a 3.5mm input has in-built amps. They are either active or powered speakers.

DAC is the stage before the amp. It converts (for example) an mp3's 1s and 0s into analogue signal which feeds the 3.5mm jack. The speaker (or earphones) converts this electrical signal into sound, with the aid of an amp.

I can go on but I'll probably bore you, but not before myself. So I'll stop here.
 

keithchew17

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
If you're not keen on spending more than $500, the A2+ are a good solid option. Just connect to the onboard sound 3.5mm jack. Enjoyable videos, music, and gaming. Of course if you can shop around and demo them, you can buy your preferences.

Amps are for passive speakers. Any speaker that accepts a 3.5mm input has in-built amps. They are either active or powered speakers.

DAC is the stage before the amp. It converts (for example) an mp3's 1s and 0s into analogue signal which feeds the 3.5mm jack. The speaker (or earphones) converts this electrical signal into sound, with the aid of an amp.

I can go on but I'll probably bore you, but not before myself. So I'll stop here.

Hey thanks for the input, definitely didnt bore me but taught me instead haha. Do have any have recommendations aside from the a2s?
 

and_who

Master Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2006
Messages
2,703
Reaction score
130
Hi,

I am complete noob in speakers and mostly anything audio related so i need some advice from the pros.
I am looking for 2.0 speakers for my setup and i prefer not to have 2.1 due to severe space constraints. My usage is mainly gaming music and movies. I do not do recording or music recording.
Initially almost wanted to get audioengine a2+ as I was really liking it but then read some other threads saying monitors like mackie cr4 and presonus are better at a cheaper price. Then again I read stuff like speakers needing dac and amps confuses me.
Really need some advice or recommendations from the pros. Much appreciated! Budget preferably arnd 200 to 400

wait for PC show, and grab the creative x7 + xm7 combo at 499. (http://itfairsg.com/itshow2016/crea...-x7-e-mu-xm7-price-list-flyer-brochure-16305/)

great dac + amp + passive speaker set, and extremely value for money.

used to have one set until I got itchy fingers and upgraded to AV receivers and passive floor standers, and they are excellent value for money.
 

mypillowtalks

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
32,714
Reaction score
78
Hello

I can't recommend on brands and model of the monitors as I am using monitors from a different brand, range and for different purpose.

But I can offer some opinion on audio, however, some may/may not disagree on my views due to different applications and personal experiences/hearing judgements/etc.

I think it is better to bring your songs/mp3/laptop to the showroom and listen before buying. Maybe brand A sounds better than brand B, but it may differ from person to person.

I would like to add in one more thing about active/powered speakers.
Some of the active/powered monitors comes with a "gain" knob, as shown in the picture below:

ke1P3VW.jpg

*picture shows an example of an active monitor

This gain knob is used to adjust the pre-amplifier (or people call it preamp) which is built into this powered loud speaker.
This knob is useful when connecting to devices such as microphone, or turntable.
As microphone and some turntable have lower level of signal output, this gain knob can be used to pre-amplify that signal before it reach the "main amplifier"

Some monitors may not have a preamp built in, in that case an external preamplifier may be needed to bring up the input voltage.

Another issue which i believe you may encounter when sourcing for more monitors will be the the input connections.
Some monitors uses XLR connectors as their input connectors (as shown in the pic above), thus, if a DAC is used, remember to get the relevant connectors/converters.

The information in this picture may be useful as well:

yPbZ8m8.jpg


How Balanced Cables reject noise:
uux07Ov.jpg


Some information on active vs passive loudspeakers:
C3MLxbY.png
 
Last edited:

Piezoq

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2010
Messages
1,567
Reaction score
0
Hey thanks for the input, definitely didnt bore me but taught me instead haha. Do have any have recommendations aside from the a2s?

Creative t50. A lot of speaker for what you pay for. You won't get double or triple the quality of the t50 spending the extra few hundred.
 
Last edited:

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,845
Reaction score
1,784
Creative t50. A lot of speaker for what you pay for. You won't get double or triple the quality of the t50 spending the extra few hundred.

t40 sounds the same as t50 without the bluetooth function, and is cheaper.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top