Need help with building new desktop~~

huimeng

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2014
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I have always been using laptop and decided to build a desktop at SLS for gaming and watching shows.
I have no experience with desktop and have a lot of questions which I hope you all can help me.. /:

My budget is around 1.3k to 1.5k including Dell S2340L 23inch ElPS Panel.

Games that I will be playing are : Dota2, Street Fighter 4 on the PC, maybe upcoming games that can be purchased on Steam.

My questions are, i5 or i7? I seen most reccomendations points to i5-4xxx.

Does having a SSD really gives you a total different experience with desktops?

power color 270 or Palit GTX 760?

I have a modem in my living room and has always been using wireless on my laptop in my room. The desktop have to be in my room. How do I work around this problem? I read thru forums and they talked about wireless adapter. Or is there anything that can act as a router for me to connect to the wireless?
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Does having a SSD really gives you a total different experience with desktops?

power color 270 or Palit GTX 760?

Yes. You can go kill yourself if you choose not to use SSD today.

GTX760.
 

FlyingNuggets

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2014
Messages
628
Reaction score
0
I have always been using laptop and decided to build a desktop at SLS for gaming and watching shows.
I have no experience with desktop and have a lot of questions which I hope you all can help me.. /:

My budget is around 1.3k to 1.5k including Dell S2340L 23inch ElPS Panel.

Games that I will be playing are : Dota2, Street Fighter 4 on the PC, maybe upcoming games that can be purchased on Steam.

My questions are, i5 or i7? I seen most reccomendations points to i5-4xxx.

Does having a SSD really gives you a total different experience with desktops?

power color 270 or Palit GTX 760?

I have a modem in my living room and has always been using wireless on my laptop in my room. The desktop have to be in my room. How do I work around this problem? I read thru forums and they talked about wireless adapter. Or is there anything that can act as a router for me to connect to the wireless?

I suggest i5-4690 its just nice for gaming and its a quad core processor so its more than enough for gaming and normal usage!

GTX 760
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
1.5k everything in

MSI B85M G43 + i5-4460 ~ $355
Crucial 8gb 1600mhz Value Ram ~ $95
WD Blue 1tb ~ $67
Crucial MX100 256gb ~ $161
Palit GTX760 2gb Jetstream OC ~ $346
Superflower HX500 500w 80+ Gold Semi Modular PSU ~ $88
Sharkoon BD28 ~ $72
Samsung DVD Drive ~ $21
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM ~ $110
Dell S2340L 23inch eIPS Panel ~ $219

Total ~ $1534. Buy at tradepac. DIY
 

huimeng

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2014
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
1.5k everything in

MSI B85M G43 + i5-4460 ~ $355
Crucial 8gb 1600mhz Value Ram ~ $95
WD Blue 1tb ~ $67
Crucial MX100 256gb ~ $161
Palit GTX760 2gb Jetstream OC ~ $346
Superflower HX500 500w 80+ Gold Semi Modular PSU ~ $88
Sharkoon BD28 ~ $72
Samsung DVD Drive ~ $21
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM ~ $110
Dell S2340L 23inch eIPS Panel ~ $219

Total ~ $1534. Buy at tradepac. DIY
thanks royfrosty for the reccomendation. (Y)


regarding the wireless issue, does using the wireless adaptor gives the same effectiveness as a laptop connecting to wireless?
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
regarding the wireless issue, does using the wireless adaptor gives the same effectiveness as a laptop connecting to wireless?

Afaik, an Intel one would provide you with the same effectiveness. YMMV with typical TP-Link, DLink and Asus wireless adapters in terms of performance and reliability. With Intel stuff, it normally "just works" :o

Amazon.com: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 plus Bluetooth Adapter (7260HMWDTX1): Computers & Accessories (Cybermind sells this kit for SGD99 iirc)
 

huimeng

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2014
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Had this built set up at tradepac. Thanks roy for the recommendation :D

2 issues im having at home right now.

Bought Asus PCE-N15. Wireless speed is great but is having frequent packet losses. Disconnecting every 15sec for 1-3sec.

The WD Blue 1TB wasnt detected in my computer. I only have the SSD in my drive.
 

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
15,999
Reaction score
6,513
Had this built set up at tradepac. Thanks roy for the recommendation :D

2 issues im having at home right now.

Bought Asus PCE-N15. Wireless speed is great but is having frequent packet losses. Disconnecting every 15sec for 1-3sec.

The WD Blue 1TB wasnt detected in my computer. I only have the SSD in my drive.

Can't help you much with the wireless adaptor, maybe you can disable any power saving options. Or you're just too far away/too many walls from your access point.

For your 1TB hdd, it is not formatted yet, so you will have to format it to be usable.

Assuming that your bios has the drive detected(should be called WD10EZEX or something..)

Right click on 'My Computer'
Click on 'Manage' to go into computer management
Below, click on 'Disk Management'

Once there, all your drives will be displayed, find the one with 900gb+- or so storage space and format it. It'll take a while so I recommend you just afk :)
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Bought Asus PCE-N15. Wireless speed is great but is having frequent packet losses. Disconnecting every 15sec for 1-3sec

That's why I recommended you the Intel one. Non-Intel stuff reliability are typically never really a known quantity
 

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
15,999
Reaction score
6,513
That's why I recommended you the Intel one. Non-Intel stuff reliability are typically never really a known quantity

Out of curiosity, I googled for a review on the Asus pce-n15..

Likes

Low Game latency
Clean User Interface
Software Access Point
Easy setup with Linux


Dislikes

Performance quickly drops off with distance

Performance-wise, this is an average card. The only issue was that the peak bandwidth dropped off pretty quickly once moved away from the router. At a distance of 5ft, the PCE-N15 pulled 76Mbps and had a really solid lead over the DW1501 with only 42.5 mbps. Moving out to only 25ft, the PCE-N15 dropped 29Mbps to 47Mbps and the DW1501 only lost about 1 Mbps. A lead of only 5Mbps on such a short distance of 25ft is kind of disconcerting. The speeds were still well within the 802.11n range, but it's not my first choice as a gamer if I had to use wireless. As long as you don't need to do anything extreme, it will happily serve up YouTube, Netflix and high-def movies over your home network.

25ft = 7.68metres

Sauce.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Had this built set up at tradepac. Thanks roy for the recommendation :D

2 issues im having at home right now.

Bought Asus PCE-N15. Wireless speed is great but is having frequent packet losses. Disconnecting every 15sec for 1-3sec.

The WD Blue 1TB wasnt detected in my computer. I only have the SSD in my drive.

Can't help you much with the wireless adaptor, maybe you can disable any power saving options. Or you're just too far away/too many walls from your access point.

For your 1TB hdd, it is not formatted yet, so you will have to format it to be usable.

Assuming that your bios has the drive detected(should be called WD10EZEX or something..)

Right click on 'My Computer'
Click on 'Manage' to go into computer management
Below, click on 'Disk Management'

Once there, all your drives will be displayed, find the one with 900gb+- or so storage space and format it. It'll take a while so I recommend you just afk
:)

There you go.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Had this built set up at tradepac. Thanks roy for the recommendation :D

2 issues im having at home right now.

Bought Asus PCE-N15. Wireless speed is great but is having frequent packet losses. Disconnecting every 15sec for 1-3sec.

The WD Blue 1TB wasnt detected in my computer. I only have the SSD in my drive.

Got to check your distance. Most probably your 2.4ghz signal cant reach your place.
 

huimeng

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2014
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Can't help you much with the wireless adaptor, maybe you can disable any power saving options. Or you're just too far away/too many walls from your access point.

For your 1TB hdd, it is not formatted yet, so you will have to format it to be usable.

Assuming that your bios has the drive detected(should be called WD10EZEX or something..)

Right click on 'My Computer'
Click on 'Manage' to go into computer management
Below, click on 'Disk Management'

Once there, all your drives will be displayed, find the one with 900gb+- or so storage space and format it. It'll take a while so I recommend you just afk :)
Thanks for the reply. Under Disk management, the hdd is unallocated. It has the options initialize disk and then convert to Dynamic/GPT disk.
What do i do with it?

EDIT: Google-ed for the answer. Option > New simple volume.
Thanks
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top