Need help with case fans!

greatgreenman

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2016
Messages
566
Reaction score
16
The only info I have of my casing is that it supports 120mm and 140mm fans. But reading online there's 2 pin and 4 pin fans that are regular and PWM?? My casing has a three speed fan controller, will that work with other casing fans?
Another thing: If I can only fit 1 120mm exhaust rear fan, will there be problems if I install 2 front 140mm fans?
Also, anyone with specific casing fans to recommend?
 

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
140,716
Reaction score
9,378
2 front 140mm intake + 1 rear 120mm exhaust is a very good combination
 

derkaiser94

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Messages
1,482
Reaction score
514
Another thing: If I can only fit 1 120mm exhaust rear fan, will there be problems if I install 2 front 140mm fans?
Also, anyone with specific casing fans to recommend?

That's the way to go. Positive air pressure reduce dust build up within the case. Pantek pwm fans are as good as noctua fans but cheaper. Alternatively you can also consider the corsair fans which have a ton of variation for different needs.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Well I'm assuming that your case have a 3x 3pins fan output. You can get gentle typhoons. Or corsair.
 

greatgreenman

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2016
Messages
566
Reaction score
16
Thanks guys what about top fans? Do I need those as well? Also, what is all this 3 pin 4 pin stuff? Do I only need to worry about fan size or the PWM/standard thing as well?
 

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
15,543
Reaction score
266
it's better to let you motherboard control the fans than the casing fan controller, as typically you can set custom fan curves with a motherboard (check your manual), whereas casing fan controllers are mostly manually adjusted.

this will mean your choice of fans should be dependent on what kind of fans your motherboard's fan headers can control.
 

DJSnip3r

Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2015
Messages
316
Reaction score
0
Thanks guys what about top fans? Do I need those as well? Also, what is all this 3 pin 4 pin stuff? Do I only need to worry about fan size or the PWM/standard thing as well?

You should worry more on the fan size, like what's the combination of fans you can use, eg. 2x140 or 3x120 are the usual for most(?) atx.

PWM (4pin) vs DC (3pin) is that PWM can operate at lower rpm while DC will stall out at a certain rpm due to the the fact that speed of the fan is controlled by the voltage supplied to the fan. Normally, case fans are 3 pins and may include voltage stepdown to reduce the rpm and therefore reduce noise. But if you want precise rpm (noise) control, then it's PWM.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top