Need to replace a Palit HD4870 graphics card

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,328
Reaction score
291
Hello,

I'm still using a Phenom X4 system running on a MSI AMD760 chipset mobo with a Palit HD4870 graphics card. This card has been giving me serious problems, as the graphics driver always crashes. My PC will boot but no image displays on my 27.5" Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM monitor.

I would like to replace the card only as the rest of the computer is still good but it runs on a PCIe 2.0 interface. Is it still possible to buy such graphics card? I don't need it for gaming, it's more for running Photoshop mainly. I'm running on my motherboard's graphics chipset but it allows 2048x1152 using the VGA interface which looks crap on my monitor. I want to go back to the digital interface (DVI) to regain the sharpness.

Any suggestions? Cheaper is better. Running Win 7 64-bit.

Thanks!
 

tamjinhang

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2010
Messages
548
Reaction score
0
U can get any graphics card basically. Faster than the HD 4870 of course. Even the newest PCIE 3.0 graphics card can run on PCIE 2.0 speed, PCIE standard is backwards compatible. Go ahead and hoot! But remember, don't get a graphics card with only UEFI GOP bios if ur motherboard can't run UEFI BIOS.

And if u're interested, I have some mid-end gfx cards leftover at my side. Perhaps one might suit u?
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,328
Reaction score
291
Thanks guys! Wah... so cheap for second hand? I think I'll just buy a new card... low end but with digital interface to my monitor.
 

bboyboss

Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2012
Messages
379
Reaction score
0
Thanks guys! Wah... so cheap for second hand? I think I'll just buy a new card... low end but with digital interface to my monitor.
Maybe you could take a look in the market place here there's some good deals on older card or like a 7850 is going for $170. Preferably get a card with warranty! If you decide 2nd hand
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,328
Reaction score
291
Thing is I was hoping to keep to a Radeon and below $150. Brand new. Are the entry level cards any use? Like the HD6450 or the R7 series? The only game I will play is probably some racing game like Need for Speed. Not very demanding graphically I suppose. Would these work? Note that my native monitor resolution is 2056*1200 I think. The onboard graphics is lowering the resolution some what.
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,328
Reaction score
291
U can get any graphics card basically. Faster than the HD 4870 of course. Even the newest PCIE 3.0 graphics card can run on PCIE 2.0 speed, PCIE standard is backwards compatible. Go ahead and hoot! But remember, don't get a graphics card with only UEFI GOP bios if ur motherboard can't run UEFI BIOS.

And if u're interested, I have some mid-end gfx cards leftover at my side. Perhaps one might suit u?

Eh what do you mean left over? Are selling graphics cards? How much would these cost? MY budget is really low.
 

tamjinhang

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2010
Messages
548
Reaction score
0
U need a legacy VBIOS inside ur graphics card in order for it to run on ur mobo. Modern gfx card series have UEFI GOP VBIOS, so u can't use them unless it has a 2nd switch housing a legacy VBIOS.

Safest bets are a 2nd hand AMD Radeon HD 6000 series or 2nd hand Nvidia GTX 600 series.

HD 6450 is far too weak for ur use. Get something higher. Hmm, hold on, I still got a BNIB Gigabyte HD 6670 1GB with me? Wanna hoot? :s12:
 

wtfh4x

Master Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2010
Messages
3,322
Reaction score
210
7750 should be okay if you can get one new for ard $100 and if you dont need an upgrade from the 4870.
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,328
Reaction score
291
U need a legacy VBIOS inside ur graphics card in order for it to run on ur mobo. Modern gfx card series have UEFI GOP VBIOS, so u can't use them unless it has a 2nd switch housing a legacy VBIOS.

Safest bets are a 2nd hand AMD Radeon HD 6000 series or 2nd hand Nvidia GTX 600 series.

HD 6450 is far too weak for ur use. Get something higher. Hmm, hold on, I still got a BNIB Gigabyte HD 6670 1GB with me? Wanna hoot? :s12:

Oh no... thanks for the update about the BIOS... didn't know this at all...

I don't mind buying your Gigabyte card if it's not too expensive and it's brand new. I'm ok with the card if it's not more powerful than my HD4870. I just don't want to upgrade my whole system now cos it's just too troublesome. It must be able to display 2056x1200 on my Dell monitor then ok already. Can game or not is really quite secondary lar...

Can PM me your price? Thanks!
 

tamjinhang

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2010
Messages
548
Reaction score
0
Well, it's not gg to be as powerful as one HD4870, but at least the HD 6670 is not gg to be a heater.

I upload some pics here. Hold on....
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,328
Reaction score
291
7750 should be okay if you can get one new for ard $100 and if you dont need an upgrade from the 4870.

But the BIOS of the graphic card is not compatible with my mobo according to one of the messages lower down.
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,328
Reaction score
291
Well, it's not gg to be as powerful as one HD4870, but at least the HD 6670 is not gg to be a heater.

I upload some pics here. Hold on....

Wah... you mean the HD4870 so powerful ah? I remember paying quite a bit for it but it wasn't the most powerful card alive... as long as cheap and good can already... the analog output is a strain on the eye... :(
 

tamjinhang

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2010
Messages
548
Reaction score
0






PM-ed u. Just reply me via sms / whatsapp

HD 4870 doesn't actually have high graphics power. It just eats a darn lot of power and gives out a ton of heat as well. HD 6000 performs phenomenally better than HD 4000 series, so we don't even need to compare the HD 4000 series with current modern graphics cards.

**Hopefully the companies give dual BIOS switches for both kinds of VBIOS soon enough. At least Sapphire has it for the hjigh end models.
 
Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,328
Reaction score
291






PM-ed u. Just reply me via sms / whatsapp

HD 4870 doesn't actually have high graphics power. It just eats a darn lot of power and gives out a ton of heat as well. HD 6000 performs phenomenally better than HD 4000 series, so we don't even need to compare the HD 4000 series with current modern graphics cards.

**Hopefully the companies give dual BIOS switches for both kinds of VBIOS soon enough. At least Sapphire has it for the hjigh end models.

Thanks! Sent you a message already.
 

killerslayer92

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
1,061
Reaction score
0
didnt know abt the vbios thing. so what ur saying is that any card newer than amd 6 and nvidia 6 series will not work on old pc (eg core 2 quad, pentium 4)? does this apply to amd processors as well? like phenom.

TS using purely photoshop or have video editing. Video editing is intensive need higher end card. photoshop not a lightweight either especially when editing live. if your work relies on this, get higher end. process faster = less time wasted = higher productivity
 

muddle

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2000
Messages
6,988
Reaction score
0
Got this somewhere

A graphics card does not have to be UEFI-compliant in order to work in a motherboard that supports UEFI. In fact, UEFI is designed to be device-independent, not relying on certain support in hardware.
 

tamjinhang

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2010
Messages
548
Reaction score
0
Yeah. That's definitely right. UEFI mobos can support any graphics card. But the other way around for UEFI GOP cards on legacy mobo? I rmb encountering the issue before. Will test again when there's time.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top