Need Upgrades Suggestion for my current Rig

kEnsAn

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2010
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Hi all!

I need some suggestions to go about an upgrade for certain parts of my aging pc :(

My number 1 requirement is be able to play Dota 2 at maximum graphics settings, 1680 x 1050 resolution with constant frame rates around 60fps or higher.

Sadly my budget is only around $200 - $600..

Here's my current rig (also listed at the side: my profile):
Intel C2D E8500 + EP45-UD3P
Gskill 1600mhz 4gb
Palit Radeon HD 4870
Veloci-raptor 150GB
SeaSonic M12II 750W
Coolmaster CM590

Looking forward to your replies :))
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,727
Reaction score
1,553
If your monitor is going to be at that max resolution. I think the best option is for you to upgrade your monitor also.


Dell s2340l 23 inch IPS panel ~ $219
Asrock b75m dgs + i5-3350p ~ $271
Adata 8gb 1600mhz ~ $85

Total $575.

If your GPU cannot handle 1080p best option for it is a powercolor 7750 or 7770.
 

Lethal

Senior Member
Joined
May 18, 2013
Messages
979
Reaction score
0
7750 is in the same category as 4870 in graphics hierachy chart.
don't think it will be much of a difference.
can consider upgrade to i5 first while using the same graphics card, it will help to increase ur fps more
 

Jian19

Honorary Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
100,983
Reaction score
27,699
Ish ur ram ddr3 ?

i5-4570 + Msi b85m g43 ~ $356
Msi 7850 tf 2gb ~ $245

$601 from tradepac ask for discount and DIY

Or

i5-3350p + Asrock b75m dgs ~ $271
Adata 8gb ddr3 1600 ~ $85
Msi 7850 tf 2gb ~ $245

Total ~ $601
 

kEnsAn

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2010
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the replies guys!

My fps is only around 20-40 with everything maxed out (shadows AA and stuff), and it gets pretty laggy during 5v5 team fights.

I think I'm mistaken about my ram, its actually Crucial Ballistix 4GB (PC2 6400 omg!).

Based on your recommendations, I guess most likely I have would have to change my cpu+mobo+ram as well as graphic card to run dota 2 at max settings.

Do you guys think I can go for just a single upgrade of graphic card to maybe GTX760 or R9 270? will my cpu be limiting the graphic performance?

P.S: Actually I've tested my HD 4870 with i7-950 cpu before, I still couldn't play dota 2 smoothly on max settings..
 

Jian19

Honorary Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
100,983
Reaction score
27,699
Hoot mine 2nd suggestion, ur current CPU will bottleneck gtx760
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,727
Reaction score
1,553
If you only playing dota 2 a 7770 will do the job. Whats more your monitor resolution only 1650 x 1050.

I think the much worth while upgrade will be a Full HD monitor with a 7770.

Unless you are playing other games then most probably can do without the monitor.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top