Never buy MSIG travel insurance!

swiftblade

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2006
Messages
1,220
Reaction score
1,072
I flew to Hong Kong when typhoon Mangkhut hit Philippines. My return flight was delayed due to the typhoon hitting Hong Kong.

I tried to claim for flight delay, and they rejected the claim after 1 month stating it was a known event.

Which is nonsense because it was not a known event when I bought my insurance and flight tickets.

So I complained and they escalated to their management. They replied this time stating under general conditions I did not take all reasonable steps to prevent loss, damage or accidents etc. They offered 50% of what I was claiming, and said if I banked in the cheque they would consider the matter resolved.

Them offering 50% shows that their allegation of known event was ********, and they were trying their luck.

I'm not going to accept it, there was no reasonable steps I could have taken (I did try to contact Cathay to bring forward my flight but didn't get a response); I've complained to MAS and they're waiting for a response from MSIG.


TL; DR
MSIG is damn dishonest, don't ever buy travel insurance from them.
 

jinmuddy

Banned
Joined
Jan 2, 2013
Messages
79,261
Reaction score
6,992
I flew to Hong Kong when typhoon Mangkhut hit Philippines. My return flight was delayed due to the typhoon hitting Hong Kong.

I tried to claim for flight delay, and they rejected the claim after 1 month stating it was a known event.

Which is nonsense because it was not a known event when I bought my insurance and flight tickets.

So I complained and they escalated to their management. They replied this time stating under general conditions I did not take all reasonable steps to prevent loss, damage or accidents etc. They offered 50% of what I was claiming, and said if I banked in the cheque they would consider the matter resolved.

Them offering 50% shows that their allegation of known event was ********, and they were trying their luck.

I'm not going to accept it, there was no reasonable steps I could have taken (I did try to contact Cathay to bring forward my flight but didn't get a response); I've complained to MAS and they're waiting for a response from MSIG.


TL; DR
MSIG is damn dishonest, don't ever buy travel insurance from them.

pretty sure u aint the only guy affected. class action!
 

pchltws

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2005
Messages
1,718
Reaction score
13
If you booked the Air Tickets and bought the MSIG Travel Insurance way before the so called MSIG "KNOWN" Event claimed by them, then where the hell they can say is known even. You may want to confirm with them on this and here.

Looking forward to your update of this status.
 

swiftblade

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2006
Messages
1,220
Reaction score
1,072
Ok after management review they agreed to pay in full, should get mailed my cheque soon. Total took about a month plus, with much unpleasant emails and calls. Don't think I'd buy from them again.

Thanks for the interest guys.
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
Ok after management review they agreed to pay in full, should get mailed my cheque soon. Total took about a month plus, with much unpleasant emails and calls. Don't think I'd buy from them again.

Thanks for the interest guys.

When you said management, meaning upper management i supposed? Although so far my mum had mentioned she dun have issues claiming but its for luggage nia.

Anyway, who else u recommend?
 

boiboi123

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2008
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
5
Glad you managed to get it sorted out

Ok after management review they agreed to pay in full, should get mailed my cheque soon. Total took about a month plus, with much unpleasant emails and calls. Don't think I'd buy from them again.

Thanks for the interest guys.
 

c1steady

Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
487
Reaction score
5
Used to buy all my travel insurance from them because of their tie to DBS. Will look out for other providers too

Sent from Google using GAGT
 

Beefsteak

Master Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
3,545
Reaction score
152
Need to take note.

Its not about when you bought your flight tickets and insurance.

Not all insurance company will honor your claim because the main thing is you decided to continue to fly despite knowing that the Typhoon is approaching.

You're expected to contact the Airline and either postpone or cancel your flight.
 

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
9,671
Reaction score
1,382
Need to take note.

Its not about when you bought your flight tickets and insurance.

Not all insurance company will honor your claim because the main thing is you decided to continue to fly despite knowing that the Typhoon is approaching.

You're expected to contact the Airline and either postpone or cancel your flight.

Swiftblade was claiming for Travel Delay, which does not require trip to be cancelled or postponed to be eligible to claim.
 
Last edited:

Beefsteak

Master Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
3,545
Reaction score
152
Swiftblade was claiming for Travel Delay, which does not require trip to be cancelled or postponed to be eligible to claim.

But the Typhoon was already known and happened before his trip and not during his trip.
 
Last edited:

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
9,671
Reaction score
1,382
But the Typhoon was already known and happened before his trip and not during his trip.

the sequence of events is not entirely clear but from what was written, when he flew to HK, my view is it is not reasonable to know that the typhoon that hit Phils will cause flight delay when he is returning from Hong Kong

besides, as his flight into HK proceeded as scheduled (even when typhoon was in Phils), on what grounds can he justify a Trip Cancellation claim & have that approved ?

I recall reading some insurer's T&C that they only cover Travel Delay for flights departing from Singapore :( so better read wordings carefully
 

5star_pundit

Banned
Joined
Aug 11, 2015
Messages
26,740
Reaction score
6
bought a single trip with CHUBB travel insurance for less than $30 but flight to HK was cancelled due to Typhoon hato subsequently cathay pacific refund the tickets fare and reimburse the rest from chubb



33143870772_675345f278_z.jpg
 

SBS2716G

Master Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
3,276
Reaction score
70
So which insurance company will cover for such delay due to typhoon. Have a connection flight via CX in HK in December.

Esp for the additional hotel stay/expenses if flight are cancelled
 

meganova97

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
157
Reaction score
0
The same for AXA

I would not recommend to buy from AXA as well. Super slow in travel curtailment claims. Buy at own risk.

Until today since 15 Sep, my claim due to the Osaka Typhoon incident is still pending. Called the CS hotline several times, emailed several times and even the AXA apps complaint.

I have run out of ideas what to do next. i complaint to GIA and it seems like they do not oversee the operation of the insurance company so back to square one again.

It seems like if they do not reject or reduce your claim and continue pending there is nothing much you can do except to bother their CS everyday.

Any idea from anyone in this forum will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
 

seanysp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2006
Messages
37,674
Reaction score
66
I flew to Hong Kong when typhoon Mangkhut hit Philippines. My return flight was delayed due to the typhoon hitting Hong Kong.

I tried to claim for flight delay, and they rejected the claim after 1 month stating it was a known event.

Which is nonsense because it was not a known event when I bought my insurance and flight tickets.

So I complained and they escalated to their management. They replied this time stating under general conditions I did not take all reasonable steps to prevent loss, damage or accidents etc. They offered 50% of what I was claiming, and said if I banked in the cheque they would consider the matter resolved.

Them offering 50% shows that their allegation of known event was ********, and they were trying their luck.

I'm not going to accept it, there was no reasonable steps I could have taken (I did try to contact Cathay to bring forward my flight but didn't get a response); I've complained to MAS and they're waiting for a response from MSIG.


TL; DR
MSIG is damn dishonest, don't ever buy travel insurance from them.

don't know about your case but when my baggage was delayed sin-icn I received the cheque within the same week I submitted my claim with the lost baggage form from icn airport and acknowledgement email from airline
so my experience with msig was pretty decent
happened a couple of years back
 

meganova97

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
157
Reaction score
0
Everyone,

Until today I have not gotten any reply back from AXA on my claim. I just kept receiving their standard email reply.
If your claim is more than $2K like mine then GG to you. I am not sure how long more or how many more days I need to wait. Any form of guidance and advice from anyone out here is appreciated. I have logged an AXA complaint and the complaint officer did called me like 2 weeks ago. $2k claim for a multi national and multi million company.
Avoid even it is cheap with promotion. There are certainly more choices than this.
 

juxtaposition

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
1,372
Reaction score
1
Sounds like those car insurance claims, take many years...no sound no picture

Everyone,

Until today I have not gotten any reply back from AXA on my claim. I just kept receiving their standard email reply.
If your claim is more than $2K like mine then GG to you. I am not sure how long more or how many more days I need to wait. Any form of guidance and advice from anyone out here is appreciated. I have logged an AXA complaint and the complaint officer did called me like 2 weeks ago. $2k claim for a multi national and multi million company.
Avoid even it is cheap with promotion. There are certainly more choices than this.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top