Never visit Allpets & Aqualife Clinic!

  • Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mental Health Helpline: 6389-2222 (24 hours) More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

YouYongku

High Honorary Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
164,907
Reaction score
2
although they had some good reviews, but negative was never mentioned.

My friend told me last night that she brought her terrapin for a check up and end up given injections, which in turn became worse, it wouldnt move and died the very same day.
If required, I will the conversation here.


My Terrapin, Spider-Man died after Doctor Jimson Chan injected the wrong kind of medicine which in turn poisoned him to death.
Also the injection caused bleeding which appeared through the night.

His Boss, a more experienced Vet, Doctor Frederic Chua, also agreed that injections shouldnt be given as they are fatal to young terrapins.
Vitamin A also shouldnt be given to young terrapins as they will be poisoned to death.

This guy still can call me back and give me a dressing down, as if he was right.
Still have the cheek to boss around, as if I killed his pet.

When caught in a fix due to the contraction of what he said, he had no choice but to say that the whole Clinic vets are not certified.

More detailed information :

More detailed information :

6 July 2012 (Friday) – 9.45am
I called Allpets & Aqualife Clinic, asking for help as I was shocked that my terrapin's urine was green in colour. I asked for a specialist in terrapins and the person who took my call told me that Doctor Jimson Chan is the only one who is available at the clinic. I told her that I know Doctor Frederic Chua is more experienced with terrapins as mentioned and recommended by many others, but she said that he is not available and that Doctor Jimson Chan is also very well trained and qualified in treating terrapins and is able to cure my terrapin.


6 July 2012 (Friday) – 1.15pm
The appointment with Doctor Jimson Chan was at 12.45 p.m. but I was 5 minutes late and was made to wait till 1.15 p.m. The clinic assistant took my terrapin to weigh and told me that it was 6 grams.

I described in detail of my terrapin's condition and its "history" to Doctor Jimson Chan. I also told him that I was very worried as it has green colour urine. I told him that I was unsure whether it was due to my terrapin having indigestion or liver problems (based on my understanding from internet sources). I showed him photos of the green urine and Doctor Jimson Chan assured me that the green colour was actually my terrapin’s faeces and it should be due to indigestion problem as my terrapin was too young to develop any liver problems. I repeatedly plead him to cure my terrapin as I mentioned to him that I cannot afford to lose my precious terrapin. I said it many times and I am sure the message was clearly conveyed to him.

To my surprise, Doctor Jimson Chan wanted to give my terrapin an injection at its back leg. I kept protesting and told him that I strongly reject the idea of giving my terrapin an injection as I was afraid that it may not be able to bear with the pain and may die. Doctor Jimson Chan did not give up on his idea. He kept convincing me that the injection was safe for my terrapin and that terrapins which are even younger, weaker and smaller would not die from the injections. I continued to protest and refused his idea but he did not listen to me and quickly jabbed my terrapin’s back leg with the syringe on his hand. I was shocked and speechless. I could not believe my eyes. How could he do that? He assured me that he has injected antibiotics into my terrapin and that it will recover. He then told me that I should give my terrapin injections when I reached home and that my terrapin need 4 more
jabs. I immediately refused as there is no reason why my terrapin should undergo the pain all over again and furthermore, I am not trained in giving injections.

Later on, I brought my terrapin out of his room and went to the counter to pay. I asked for the receipt and saw that it wrote “Stress vitam inj(10x dilution)”. I immediately asked it means and was informed that it was Vitamin A (and not antibiotics!).

Based on my understanding, I know that:
1) Young terrapins cannot take injections as it is too painful and there is a high chance that they may die from the pain caused by the injections.
2) There should be no injection of Vitamin A in young terrapins as it may poison them to death.

I was furious. Throughout the session, he held my terrapin upside-down, while he struggled. Terrapins held upside-down for prolonged periods could die from suffocation.
He also tried to force open its mouth when I said that he could be fed from the mouth. I was disgusted by his actions and quickly left the room.

After the injection, my terrapin became motionless (it used to move around very hyper actively even after I discovered the green urine).

My terrapin became really unwell ever since and I called the clinic to quickly book another appointment with Doctor Frederic Chua. Doctor Jimson Chan insisted that I should bring my terrapin to the clinic to have more injections. He assured me that my terrapin will be fine and told me not to be over-paranoid.

My terrapin wasn’t the same after the injection. He slept a lot and even when he woke up, he would lie in his tank motionless with his eyes closed or half closed. I was really worried. I tried to feed him with his favourite food but he did not eat. To my horror, I saw that he was bleeding from his back leg, the leg that was injected. I immediately dried him and gave him as much warmth and love as I could, and he slept on my palm as usual.

Spider-Manbleedingafterinjection.jpg


6 July 2012 (Friday) – 6.45pm
I called the clinic to book an appointment on Saturday with Doctor Frederic Chua at 6.15pm. Doctor Jimson Chan then asked me to see him again to give him more injections, I refused.


7 July 2012 (Saturday) – 6.15pm
I brought my terrapin to see Doctor Frederic Chua. My terrapin did not want to move and has half-opened eyes.
Again, the clinic assistant brought my terrapin into a room to weigh him. The weighing scale shows 6 grams and the clinic assistant echoed "6 grams ah".

I described to Doctor Frederic Chua what happened to my terrapin before and after the injection that was given to him yesterday. Doctor Frederic Chua assured me that the green urine was actually faeces caused by indigestion and I do not need to worry about it. He appeared to be shocked when I told him about the injection and said that he agreed with me that giving such young terrapin an injection was not advisable and was wrong.

I asked him what I should do about its back leg that was injected previously as it was bleeding. I also told him that I tried to look for the wound but it wasn't visible. He commented that this should be the least of my worries and I should follow his instructions on what to do in order to get my terrapin back to health. I also then show Doctor Frederic Chua the food pellets I always feed him; he assured me its diet is nutritious and healthy.

Doctor Frederic Chua gave me Baytril antibiotics (which was the recommended antibiotics for terrapins based on interest sources). He told me to drip 0.1mm of Baytril into lukewarm water twice a day, in shallow water, for my terrapin to soak in. He wants me to soak him in the water for around 5 to 10 minutes and mentioned that “hopefully, the terrapin would drink some of the water”. I later went to research via the internet and found out that this procedure is to "force the Vitamin A out of the terrapin”. Other than Baytril, Doctor Frederic Chua did not prescribe any other medicine.

Throughout the whole consultation, he sounded afraid and did not look too optimistic about my terrapin's condition.

He later suggested that I give him a call on the next day to update him on the progress on my terrapin’s health. I told him that I understand that the clinic is not opened on Sundays but Doctor Frederic Chua reassured me that even though the clinic was not opened on Sundays, I could call the clinic as Doctor Jimson Chan will be on standby in the clinic. Doctor Jimson Chua also said that there will be a standby assistant who will contact him if I wish to speak to him tomorrow. At the counter, the assistants took down my name and contact number and reminded me to call them tomorrow so that Doctor Frederic Chua could call me back.


7 July 2012 (Saturday) – 9pm
Per Doctor Frederic Chua’s instruction, I dripped Baytril into lukewarm water and placed my terrapin in it. He drank some of the water. But he did not open his eyes at all. After that, I warm my palms and gave him some warmth. He seemed to be sleeping so I placed him in his tank. He moved a bit in his tank and occasionally, opened his eyes a little bit to look at me. I was heart-broken.

Spider-Manmotionless.jpg


8 July 2012 (Sunday) – 8am
On Sunday morning, my terrapin was in pain and he was running around in his tank, with his eyes closed. I saw his back leg bleed a little. I knew he was not going to make it. After a short while, he drew his last breath and withdrew his head and his limbs for the 1st time. I knew he was gone. Devastated, I called the clinic many times and told the clinic assistant who picked my calls to relay my message to the two Doctors but both of them did not return my calls at all.

I called in the afternoon twice at 3.08pm & 3.16pm; the clinic assistant said she will inform both doctors.


9 July 2012 (Monday) – 12.37pm
I called the clinic many times in the morning. Doctor Frederic Chua finally returned my call and apologised. He said that I should do what I have to and he softly mentioned that I could go to AVA if I want to.


9 July 2012 (Monday) – 1.28pm
On the same day, Doctor Jimson Chan called me and claimed that he was very busy lately, even busier than his boss, Doctor Frederic Chua. He began to talk to me in a sarcastic manner and claimed that both Doctor Frederic Chua and the clinic assistant informed him about my calls but he does not know what is the problem even after his Boss, Doctor Frederic Chua and the clinic assistants had already informed him. He kept asking me what is the purpose of my call and what I want from him.

At that moment, he sounded like he had never consulted me or my pet before.

All of a sudden, he said that he remembers my terrapin and he know that it has passed away. Still full of himself and unapologetic, he tried to justify his actions (i.e. the injection which was forcefully given to my terrapin) and even tried to convince me that all he did was right.

He told me that terrapins which are smaller than mine, e.g. 8 grams and above, mostly survived the injections which he gave.

My terrapin was only 6 grams when the clinic assistant weighs him in the clinic. I have no idea what he meant by “terrapins which are smaller than mine” when my terrapin is obviously less than 8 grams and he had the record of its weight in his computer and it was flashed on his computer screen during his assessment on my terrapin!

He then changed the topic and said that the injections were vitamins instead of antibiotics and there is no way to feed the terrapin from its mouth to allow him to drink the Vitamin A even if he were to force open its mouth.

I asked him why then Doctor Frederic Chua could give me Baytril to be dripped in the water? An injection is definitely not the only way to let the terrapin take in vitamins/ antibiotics. He quickly changed the topic and continued to rebut everything that I said.

I said that many vets including Doctor Frederic Chua mentioned that young terrapins cannot take any injections, alike human babies, when injected, some might get fever and other symptoms. He then asked me are the vets certified. I answered him that it was Doctor Frederic Chua (his boss) who told me that. He seemed to have a shock and said that actually their Clinic is not certified to treat terrapins.

I was stunned. Not certified yet still treat terrapins? And even gave my terrapin an injection which killed him?
I do not understand if pet clinics are not certified in certain animals, how can they be treating them and even assured me that they are well trained and qualified? Last night, I spoke with my friend and understand that her 5 year old terrapin also died from the injections given by the same clinic which I have visited.

Doctors or vets are licensed to cure, reduce the suffering/pain/illness of patient and not to kill. We do not pay doctor or vet to kill us and/or our pets.
As for pets, it's not how much the cost of the pet that matters, it's the love and bond develop between the owner & his/her pet even though the days they were together were one week, one month, one year or even ten years. It doesn’t matter at all.
Most important of all, no monetary value can be placed on the life of my precious terrapin, Spider-Man.


Some photos of Spider-Man:

IMG_3845.jpg


Spider-ManEatingHappily.jpg


Spider-Manclimbingonmyhand.jpg


Spider-ManSleepingonmypalm.jpg



http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...without-my-consent-died-next-day-3807745.html
 
Last edited:

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
7,217
Reaction score
206
my terrapin also died in their hands years ago..
his nail broke off and there was a sign of rotting
went there, they put some ointment, but the leg continued to rot :sad:
 

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
19,803
Reaction score
93
my terrapin also died in their hands years ago..
his nail broke off and there was a sign of rotting
went there, they put some ointment, but the leg continued to rot :sad:

So a treatment failure constitutes as the vet's fault?
 

donald83

Master Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2003
Messages
2,954
Reaction score
1
I always go to this pet clinic and look for Dr Erica. She is really good.

But for reptiles, terrapins etc, you should look for Dr Frederick Chua.
 

Hat123

Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2011
Messages
322
Reaction score
0
So a treatment failure constitutes as the vet's fault?

Wait..what? If the treatment fails it doesn't constitute as the vet's fault? If so, why would you visit a vet in the first place to get the wrong treatment?
 

YouYongku

High Honorary Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
164,907
Reaction score
2
So a treatment failure constitutes as the vet's fault?

if it is treated wrongly.
I know you want to defend vets, but there are black sheep that will spoil good vet reputations like yours.
 

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
19,803
Reaction score
93
Wait..what? If the treatment fails it doesn't constitute as the vet's fault? If so, why would you visit a vet in the first place to get the wrong treatment?

Treatment can fail, diagnosis can be missed, a vet may misdiagnose a condition. Too many variables, it will not be the vet's fault. Unless the AVA has some strange ruling (which I doubt) that mandates that a treatment failure constitutes as some form of ineptness of the part of the vet.

An example is dog parvo vaccination. The vaccine (treatment) can still fail and your pet may still be able to catch parvo virus despite being vaccinated. Why does it fail? Too many variables and I dont think people are interested in the technical details of it.
 

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
19,803
Reaction score
93
if it is treated wrongly.
I know you want to defend vets, but there are black sheep that will spoil good vet reputations like yours.

If treated wrongly then the vet is at fault however the user Garlic & Butter suggest that because the treatment failed therefore it must be the vet's fault

I do not need to defend any vets. I do feel the need to inject some reality here. Too many pet forums both here and else where always make the vet look like the bad guy when clearly both side of the story is not known. One must ask why SG vets are so bad (which I doubt they are) or does the problem lie with the owners? Again this isnt directed at you but rather as a general statement.

Sometimes even if we know the causative pathogen and treat accordingly, it may still fail and the patient can still die. Practicing medicine is not like building a PC where trouble shooting is straightforward. Too many variables to consider...
 
Last edited:

YouYongku

High Honorary Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
164,907
Reaction score
2
If treated wrongly then the vet is at fault however the user Garlic & Butter suggest that because the treatment failed therefore it must be the vet's fault

I do not need to defend any vets. I do feel the need to inject some reality here. Too many pet forums both here and else where always make the vet look like the bad guy when clearly both side of the story is not known. One must ask why SG vets are so bad (which I doubt they are) or does the problem lie with the owners? Again this isnt directed at you but rather as a general statement.

Sometimes even if we know the causative pathogen and treat accordingly, it may still fail and the patient can still die. Practicing medicine is not like building a PC where trouble shooting is straightforward. Too many variables to consider...

I didnt use my own garlic & butter theory.
His boss, a more senior Vet said the same thing.
Another vet also said the same thing.
Even if it is ok to inject, I refuse and without my consent, he went ahead.

even for humans, the same applies.
My uncle had a bad accident but refuse to operate.
I was only 8, I asked the doctor why the doctor dont operate, if operate there is a chance he might live.
He said without patient's/patient's family/guardian or "next of kin" permission, doctors cannot operate.


Would you? I doubt so.
Others also mention their experiences with this Jimson Chan guy.
 
Last edited:

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
19,803
Reaction score
93
I didnt use my own garlic & butter theory.
His boss, a more senior Vet said the same thing.
Another vet also said the same thing.
Even if it is ok to inject, I refuse and without my consent, he went ahead.

even for humans, the same applies.
My uncle had a bad accident but refuse to operate.
I was only 8, I asked the doctor why the doctor dont operate, if operate there is a chance he might live.
He said without patient's/patient's family/guardian or "next of kin" permission, doctors cannot operate.


Would you? I doubt so.
Others also mention their experiences with this Jimson Chan guy.
Everything I stated with regards to Garlic and Butter's reply is that just because a treatment fails doesnt mean the vet is automatically at fault.

Your case is different as, the vet violated your consent so you have a case if you wish to bring it up further with AVA. Indeed we cant operate or treat your pet unless written consent is given. Where I practice, you must sign a document stating that you allow us to treat your pets so if anything happens we have paper to cover ourselves.

So just wondering, did you sign any legal documents giving consent to treatment?
 

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2002
Messages
61,735
Reaction score
3,579
i once a while will bring my dog there if no choice becos is last min vet visit.
tht time my dog had LS.
there are few quite senior vet but i also saw few quite young one.. make me wonder they knw a not.

that time i see one is quite young.. he was like asking me question and basic on my answer and give my dog med. Unlike other vet they will really touch touch and see see.

The med giving to my dog is quite heavy dose too compare to the one i seeing now...
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
As a cat feeder I use this clinic all the time and, overall, the service is really great especially if you can get Dr. Erica. My experience is limited to them treating the various cats that I take care of in my area.
 

d515s23

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2011
Messages
8,897
Reaction score
381
But in singapore, apart from dr chua's clinic, do we have any other choice if our turtles fall sick? No right?
 

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
7,217
Reaction score
206
So a treatment failure constitutes as the vet's fault?

i just happen to saw this thread again :s12:

my terrapin was quite a large one, ok maybe 10cm..
very simple case of a fingernail broke off .. not some intestines or internal problems.. vet put some yellow ointment, then say no problem liao..
I also sounded a bit amazed..

my mom brought him to the vet, so I dont know whowhich doctor treated him..

anw after that day, the terrapin slowly rot till it died shortly :sad::sad:
woke up one day and saw he had tried to crawled to the door but was too weak to reach my door

so of cos, i dont know how the vet can screw up on this simple thing.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top