New Apple Airport Extreme

federeryao

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2013
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Anyone using the new Apple Airport Extreme? Care to review and compare it with Asus N66U?

Am thinking which to get. Thanks in advance.
 

PowerbookG4

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2003
Messages
238
Reaction score
4
I just got mine last week. If you are looking at a no frills setup and a strong signal router, this is good.

I can't comment it with Asus coz' I opt for this over Asus.
If you are running a Mac environment at home, just get this.

Just my 2 cents worth.

ps: If you order online and don't like it, you can do a product refund within 14 days. But there's T&C, read them b4 you commit. :)
 

PowerbookG4

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2003
Messages
238
Reaction score
4
Just sharing the wireless speed from APEx to my MBP. I'm on M1 200mbps fibre.

180776241c2bf736439f88c3bafdba728f20c578.png
 

fuzzybear

Master Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2000
Messages
2,775
Reaction score
0
lovely speed on wifi 11ac or 11n ?

ok ya may I know if o got both windows & mac
I know mac use its wifi to setup the extereme
but what about my windows comp ?
 

PowerbookG4

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2003
Messages
238
Reaction score
4
lovely speed on wifi 11ac or 11n ?

ok ya may I know if o got both windows & mac
I know mac use its wifi to setup the extereme
but what about my windows comp ?

Its on 11n at 5ghz bandwidth.

You can use the Mac to setup and ur Windows should jz tap into the network.
 

fuzzybear

Master Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2000
Messages
2,775
Reaction score
0
if I want to use my window comp to setup is it possible ?
I recall I need to install some program for it to access
 

Didjerama

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2002
Messages
11,483
Reaction score
32
hi guys, does the airport extreme makes a good repeater or extender?
and if so, is it compatible with non apple items e.g laptops, HP to tap on
 

jes205

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2013
Messages
286
Reaction score
0
Anyone using the new Apple Airport Extreme? Care to review and compare it with Asus N66U?

Am thinking which to get. Thanks in advance.

Just moved into my apt and decided to get all Apple products. I bought the AE and tot it was supposed to be idiot proof to install. Read this forum carefully and decided it was quite easy to set up. Suay suay my set have complications. Asked my fren and after almost 2 hrs also couldn't figure out what was wrong. Had to pay $100 to an outside vendor to solve the issue. WiFi coverage is only hall and dining and one adjacent room (wall in between). When I reach my master via a 8-10m walkway, no signal liao. Dunno if it is normal. Have to use homeplug for remaining two rooms.
 
Last edited:

benzene55

Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
Just moved into my apt and decided to get all Apple products. I bought the AE and tot it was supposed to be idiot proof to install. Read this forum carefully and decided it was quite easy to set up. Suay suay my set have complications. Asked my fren and after almost 2 hrs also couldn't figure out what was wrong. Had to pay $100 to an outside vendor to solve the issue. WiFi coverage is only hall and dining and one adjacent room (wall in between). When I reach my master via a 3-4m walkway, no signal liao. Dunno if it is normal. Have to use homeplug for remaining two rooms.

Are you using singtel fibre?

That $100 paid is a painful lesson indeed.
 

OriFlaMmE

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2003
Messages
7,719
Reaction score
0
Just moved into my apt and decided to get all Apple products. I bought the AE and tot it was supposed to be idiot proof to install. Read this forum carefully and decided it was quite easy to set up. Suay suay my set have complications. Asked my fren and after almost 2 hrs also couldn't figure out what was wrong. Had to pay $100 to an outside vendor to solve the issue. WiFi coverage is only hall and dining and one adjacent room (wall in between). When I reach my master via a 3-4m walkway, no signal liao. Dunno if it is normal. Have to use homeplug for remaining two rooms.

I have and AE 2013 and it works very well. You might have a faulty set. If you bought from Apple you can request a new one and free customer support. If you bought from a vendor it's a 7 day one to one exchange.
 

jes205

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2013
Messages
286
Reaction score
0
I have and AE 2013 and it works very well. You might have a faulty set. If you bought from Apple you can request a new one and free customer support. If you bought from a vendor it's a 7 day one to one exchange.

everything is up and running except coverage to my master bedroom, like I explained. Master bedroom is about 8-10m away from AE via walkway. Is this considered faulty? TIA
 
Last edited:

mynickname

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 11, 2012
Messages
32,672
Reaction score
10,334
Sounds like a regular issue with signal quality. Friend's HDB same problem.
 

OriFlaMmE

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2003
Messages
7,719
Reaction score
0
everything is up and running except coverage to my master bedroom, like I explained. Master bedroom is about 5-6m away from AE via walkway. Is this considered faulty? TIA


Yes my house is almost similar design. Inside the master room which is about 7-8m away I am able to get 1-2 bar signal. The old Airport Extreme will not even allow me to connect. What I did eventually was to place the old Airport Extreme as the main base, the new Airport extreme as the middle extension and the last one in the master room as the final booster. Now the masterbed room gets 100over mbps which is what I need and was happy to get.
 

jes205

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2013
Messages
286
Reaction score
0
thanks to this forum, after changing channel for my AE, I'm happily posting this article from my master (with the door closed as well) using wifi:s12::s13:
 

cheesepies

Banned
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
3,711
Reaction score
0
guys, just wanna know if the new AE 2013 can support windows laptops ?

cos i am comparing AC66U and AE 2013 , both are ac(s)

do i need to use a mac system to do the configurations or just use windows system to configure the settings ?

cos i also intend to get a mac mini but if the AE 2013 can configure without a mac then i dun have to buy the mac mini...

Thanks in adv. :)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top