New Asus notebook heat issues

cutthroat

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2012
Messages
1,722
Reaction score
43
Hi guys, i have a 2 week old Asus K45DR. All is running well with the lappy however when i downloaded Speccy to monitor the tempratures i got a little worried as i saw my CPU temp averaging 95 degrees when i was running a game in the background. Its a old game Silkroad online that is not really graphic intensive so what gives? Those temps are when i am tabbed out of the game, when i tab back in the CPU temp can hit 105.

I have no other apps running at the same time and the air vents are completely unblocked. The motherboard and graphics are averaging at 45 degrees. Did some googling but all i can see is people saying to use a cooling pad. Could anyone please advise what my next course of action should be?

Edit: I tried restarting the laptop, this time with not even the game running. The CPU temp still runs 95 degrees.
 
Last edited:

evilster

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2006
Messages
9,864
Reaction score
68
Hi guys, i have a 2 week old Asus K45DR. All is running well with the lappy however when i downloaded Speccy to monitor the tempratures i got a little worried as i saw my CPU temp averaging 95 degrees when i was running a game in the background. Its a old game Silkroad online that is not really graphic intensive so what gives? Those temps are when i am tabbed out of the game, when i tab back in the CPU temp can hit 105.

I have no other apps running at the same time and the air vents are completely unblocked. The motherboard and graphics are averaging at 45 degrees. Did some googling but all i can see is people saying to use a cooling pad. Could anyone please advise what my next course of action should be?

Edit: I tried restarting the laptop, this time with not even the game running. The CPU temp still runs 95 degrees.

opening the laptop and check the cooling fan, is it blocked ??? temp of 105 is very high for a laptop
 

killerslayer92

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
1,061
Reaction score
0
install HWmonitor from cpuid, see if the temps match.

if they match touch the laptop if it is really that hot. 95deg should be untouchable

could be heat sensor error cos gpu temps 45 is quite normal and should be similar to cpu temps cos of their close proximity
 

cutthroat

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2012
Messages
1,722
Reaction score
43
install HWmonitor from cpuid, see if the temps match.

if they match touch the laptop if it is really that hot. 95deg should be untouchable

could be heat sensor error cos gpu temps 45 is quite normal and should be similar to cpu temps cos of their close proximity

I did that and it gave me about the same results on both CPU and gpu. I'm really stumped. To make matters worse I'm not like super tech savvy or anything!
 

evilster

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2006
Messages
9,864
Reaction score
68
I did that and it gave me about the same results on both CPU and gpu. I'm really stumped. To make matters worse I'm not like super tech savvy or anything!

u part one fan and blow direct to the exhaust.... U try. If it doesn't help, find those it sarpork.
 

cutthroat

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2012
Messages
1,722
Reaction score
43
u part one fan and blow direct to the exhaust.... U try. If it doesn't help, find those it sarpork.
I apologize but I'm not sure I fully capture what you are trying to say here. Either ways I don't feel fully comfortable opening up a laptop when I don't know what I'm doing and don't know which parts are which.
 

killerslayer92

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
1,061
Reaction score
0
I apologize but I'm not sure I fully capture what you are trying to say here. Either ways I don't feel fully comfortable opening up a laptop when I don't know what I'm doing and don't know which parts are which.

send it for warranty.
 

cutthroat

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2012
Messages
1,722
Reaction score
43
send it for warranty.
Seriously? The second day i got it i already had to send it in cause the apu drivers couldn't be installed. They replaced the mainboard to rectify the issue and i just got it back.

And oh its been 3 hours since my laptop was turned off completely and unplugged from power source. I just turned it on and the first thing i do is run speccy and its alrdy showing me 92 degrees. The laptop is as cool as a cucumber! Wth?
 

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
8,737
Reaction score
2,330
Either the fan not working or the heatsink not placed properly, does the laptop surface feel very hot? Looks like you've got to send it back in again.
 

cutthroat

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2012
Messages
1,722
Reaction score
43
Either the fan not working or the heatsink not placed properly, does the laptop surface feel very hot? Looks like you've got to send it back in again.

No it's not hot, the air blowing out of the vents is cool, mildly warm at most! Which would be more likely, improperly placed heatsink or faulty thermal sensor?
 

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
8,737
Reaction score
2,330
No it's not hot, the air blowing out of the vents is cool, mildly warm at most! Which would be more likely, improperly placed heatsink or faulty thermal sensor?
Hard to say since it doesn't feel hot. You could try running a cpu benchmark like Prime95 and see if the air gets hotter or your laptop restarts itself.
 

cutthroat

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2012
Messages
1,722
Reaction score
43
Hard to say since it doesn't feel hot. You could try running a cpu benchmark like Prime95 and see if the air gets hotter or your laptop restarts itself.

Ok noted, with thanks. Question however, isn't my laptop supposed to shut itself down if it goes past a certain temp? I've alrdy hit 105 but it has yet to black out on me.
 

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2009
Messages
41,675
Reaction score
15
Ok noted, with thanks. Question however, isn't my laptop supposed to shut itself down if it goes past a certain temp? I've alrdy hit 105 but it has yet to black out on me.

105 degrees Celsius????

Can boil water anot? :s13:
 

cutthroat

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2012
Messages
1,722
Reaction score
43
Not sure why no one pointed this out. Maybe is CPU temperature sensor problem? send it for warranty try.
Yeah I was thinking about that. In the event that the sensor is faulty will it shut off according to the values displayed or according to its actual temp?
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
Yeah I was thinking about that. In the event that the sensor is faulty will it shut off according to the values displayed or according to its actual temp?

If the cpu uses the faulty temp as its actual gauge, then it should be trottling. Just use CPUz to check the clock speed. If it doesn't trottle, it uses another sensor.
 

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
Unlikely sensor issue.

Most likely is the heatsink pipes are not conducting the heat.
Thus it should be either

1) Blocked fan
2) Thermal paste
3) Wrong positioning of heatsink
4) Faulty heatsink pipes.

:)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top