New GPU doesn't work, but old one works fine.

Rockman_

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
508
Reaction score
4
I have a perfectly working PC with no apparent issues whatsoever. Wanted to upgrade juz the GPU. I got myself a new GPU which would be compatible with my current processor & PSU. But the card didn’t work. It’s got light, it’s fan is spinning, but no signal detected. It didn’t even start to boot.

I’m only knowledgeable enough for simple tasks. So I did what I could & researched. The things I tried includes: Checked cables, check connections, uninstall current driver. None of them worked.

I re-installed my old GPU. Everything worked as normal again.

There’s actually the BIOS thing which research tells me that might be the issue. But I’m not confident to touch BIOS. Hence I passed this to a “fix-it” guy near my place. He checked my PC with the working old GPU, checked my new GPU & then he checked with his own GPU. Only my old GPU worked. He says he needs further testing to see the issue. He sees no issues with compatibility, but it’s highly possible that my processor or motherboard isn’t working.

I’m like……. but it is working on the OLD GPU. My processor/motherboard only work on my old GPU. And it will be “faulty” once new GPU is installed? What??

I don’t get it. But he’s supposedly the expert, not me. So I didn’t push any further. I took back my PC & carry on working with it with the old setup that day. Basically, if I wanna use the new GPU, it’s likely that I have to replaced the processor or mother board; which would push the price of the small upgrade much further.

What do you guys think are the likely cause of the issue? Is the “fix-it” guy right? I might not try more advanced methods that might be suggested here. I’d appreciate if I can know what ya’ll think.

Brief specs of my current working setup:

UPDATE
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU 3.4 GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 series
PSU: Aurum CM Series AU-550M

New GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB (it’s new!)
“Fix-it” guy’s GPU: Some mid-range GPU from Nvidia

Thanx much!
 
Last edited:

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
5,207
Reaction score
11
Perhaps new gpu no legacy bios, only uefi gop... so legacy mobo dat dun have uefi will be problem
 

rEe_TaN

Master Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Messages
4,355
Reaction score
1,100
I have a perfectly working PC with no apparent issues whatsoever. Wanted to upgrade juz the GPU. I got myself a new GPU which would be compatible with my current processor & PSU. But the card didn’t work. It’s got light, it’s fan is spinning, but no signal detected. It didn’t even start to boot.

I’m only knowledgeable enough for simple tasks. So I did what I could & researched. The things I tried includes: Checked cables, check connections, uninstall current driver. None of them worked.

I re-installed my old GPU. Everything worked as normal again.

There’s actually the BIOS thing which research tells me that might be the issue. But I’m not confident to touch BIOS. Hence I passed this to a “fix-it” guy near my place. He checked my PC with the working old GPU, checked my new GPU & then he checked with his own GPU. Only my old GPU worked. He says he needs further testing to see the issue. He sees no issues with compatibility, but it’s highly possible that my processor or motherboard isn’t working.

I’m like……. but it is working on the OLD GPU. My processor/motherboard only work on my old GPU. And it will be “faulty” once new GPU is installed? What??

I don’t get it. But he’s supposedly the expert, not me. So I didn’t push any further. I took back my PC & carry on working with it with the old setup that day. Basically, if I wanna use the new GPU, it’s likely that I have to replaced the processor or mother board; which would push the price of the small upgrade much further.

What do you guys think are the likely cause of the issue? Is the “fix-it” guy right? I might not try more advanced methods that might be suggested here. I’d appreciate if I can know what ya’ll think.

Brief specs of my current working setup:
Motherboard: Can’t figure out what model, but it’s from Gigabyte
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU 3.4 GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 series
PSU: Aurum CM Series AU-550M

New GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB (it’s new!)
“Fix-it” guy’s GPU: Some mid-range GPU from Nvidia

Thanx much!




Does your mobo has onboard GPU?
 

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
What hlots said

Some newer AMD GPU vendors (like Sapphire) only got UEFI-GOP module no legacy vbios not sure about the current status.

If you are on a 70 series DIY board there's some hope for obtaining a BIOS update that adds UEFI support. Maybe 60 series too but if its a dell or hp box, anything of that sort you might be out of luck.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,060
Reaction score
1,758
Sandy Bridge MB should be able to support the new GPUs. The MB model is printed on the MB itself. Suggest you search online for a BIOS update.
 

Rockman_

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
508
Reaction score
4
Pardon me for my lack of knowledge of hardware lingos. Had to Google some to know what it means. :s13:

My motherboard; I tried to look at it using Device Manager. It merely shows me the maker which is Gigabyte. I'd have thought that my working setup with the i7-2600 processor would give ya'll an idea of the motherboard. I guess I'd need to find out more then.

I sought the service of freelance PC builder (from HWZ) to set up this DIY PC quite a few years back. It's been working very well thus far.

From what I've gathered from ya'll... seems like my initial suspicion about BIOS might be the reason. I really hope that is all, though I'm not confident about BIOS stuff.

This would save me potential $$ from "replacing faulty processor/motherboard"... which would not even qualify as an upgrade.

I'll try to find out more about my motherboard when I get back home. I thank all for the replies so far! :)
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,060
Reaction score
1,758
If you don't want to open the case, you can also download and run CPU-Z. There is a "motherboard" tab which will give you the model.
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,832
Reaction score
1,780
if the new gpu works fine on another newer mobo, then issue could be your old mobo. earlier sandy mobo may be bios only. just update your motherboard to uefi.
 

Rockman_

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
508
Reaction score
4
if the new gpu works fine on another newer mobo, then issue could be your old mobo. earlier sandy mobo may be bios only. just update your motherboard to uefi.

BIOS, that's the thing I'm wary of touching. But it might be entirely possible, based on the replies so far. I'd need to figure out how to do this.

Possible to be psu problem?
Not enough power maybe?

I've thought about that too. But my research tells me that 550W is more than enough for most cases. Unless there's a possibility that my current PSU has "degraded" over time in a way that is good for my current GPU (AMD Radeon R9 200 series) to run with no issues whatsoever; but unable to even boot when the new GPU (AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB) is installed. It feels weird to me, but I'm sure ya'll enlighten me on that.
 

-Synchronicity-

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2012
Messages
2,477
Reaction score
205
R9 290? Cause if it is, I highly doubt it's the PSU. You are switching from a power hungry card to a power sipping card.
 

Rockman_

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
508
Reaction score
4
Thanx to everyone here. I've managed to get it working. It WAS indeed the BIOs that most have mentioned. My old version was like F5; the latest working working version is F16. I did the Q-Flash thing & updated BIOs. Then place the new RX580 card in. Then finally, I see something on the screen. I then installed the right driver and I have my new GPU up and running!

Yeah, I thought I'd update this, in case someone else is facing similar issues. Thanx again!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top