New MSI GTX 630 not working, help!

miracleman

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
1,547
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, I recently purchased a MSI GTX 630 to replace my old Palit 260. I plugged it in and it doesn't work! Without any cables attached to it, the cooler fan still spins, but the moment I attach a cable to it (dvi or hdmi), the fan just stops. At first I thought it was a faulty card so I went to get it swapped, but even with a new card, the same problem persists.

So i took the GTX 630 and put it into another system, and it works! Then I thought oh no, it must be my mobo. I then used a spare ATI 4770 and it works.. It could be that the power is insufficient, but i doubt so, as the GTX630 that I got doesn't even need any pcie power to be attached..

Can anyone help me figure out what's happening?

Mobo is a EVGA P55 Sli, running on Corsair hx620 psu.

Thanks in advance and merry Christmas!
 

miracleman

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
1,547
Reaction score
0
Very weird. @@
Try it on the 2nd PCI-E slot of your board.
Thanks for the reply!! Tried, but doesn't work as well.. I thought it might be some bios issue, so I updated the bios (not very helpful, latest bios dated 2011), but it doesn't work.

Quite sure its not the card and not the board, because the card works on my other rig, and my spare 4770 works on the board.

This is so frustrating! :(
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
Maybe due to pci-e 2.0/3.0 issue.
Old card plug in can work but not the new ones.
 

ykgoh

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,782
Reaction score
0
Maybe due to pci-e 2.0/3.0 issue.
Old card plug in can work but not the new ones.

I thought pci-e 3.0 is supposed to be backward compatible with pci-e 2.0?

That is to say PCIe 1.x and 2.x cards will seamlessly plug into PCIe 3.0-capable slots and operate at their highest performance levels. Similarly, all PCIe 3.0 cards will plug into PCIe 1.x- and PCIe 2.x-capable slots and operate at the highest performance levels supported by those configurations.
Source: PCI-SIG - FAQ - PCI Express 3.0


Only in theory? :s11:
 
Last edited:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Bring the rig to GS aka nigel shop in SLS. Go thru him and ask him for help. See what he can do for you.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top