New PC can't boot up with old SSD installed

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,362
Reaction score
15,801
Anybody knows why?

I put my old PC's main SSD which had windows into my new PC which also has windows 11.
Initially it worked without issues.

Recently, restarting the PC starts to have issues and it goes into automatic repair.
In the automatic repair, everything don't work.
Can't boot into Windows.

I switched from RAID to the UEFI option and it automatically boot into my old SSD.
I unplugged the old SSD and it works booting back into my new PC again.

Is it a setting problem? :(

*Update*

I replug back my old SSD and it now works.
Worried that the issue will return again.

jgYHKCu.png
 
Last edited:

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,916
Reaction score
2,501
Maybe you can check your bios boot option to enable only 1 boot drive?
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,362
Reaction score
15,801
I replug back and it now works.

Right before that I just updated windows and some driver for the old SSD drive
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,475
Reaction score
6,015
Both the old and new SSD did you clone the Windows over?
Sometimes can be caused by cloning as maybe it wasn't clone properly.
The best way will be reinstall Windows if the issue comes back probably
the boot partition is corrupted or missing.
 

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
139,200
Reaction score
17,452
Anybody knows why?

I put my old PC's main SSD which had windows into my new PC which also has windows 11.
Initially it worked without issues.

Recently, restarting the PC starts to have issues and it goes into automatic repair.
In the automatic repair, everything don't work.
Can't boot into Windows.

I switched from RAID to the UEFI option and it automatically boot into my old SSD.
I unplugged the old SSD and it works booting back into my new PC again.

Is it a setting problem? :(

*Update*

I replug back my old SSD and it now works.
Worried that the issue will return again.

jgYHKCu.png
I had this issue before, got blue screen. Long story short, try not to add any old drives that have booting OS on it to the new system before boot up, as it will potentially skew the drive letter assignment and cause the added drive to boot instead of your new drive.

If u want to add the old drive to the system, wait until your new system is booted, and use the hotplug feature.. ie plug the old drive to the system and let your new system OS treat it as a data drive and assign letter to it.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,362
Reaction score
15,801
Both the old and new SSD did you clone the Windows over?
Sometimes can be caused by cloning as maybe it wasn't clone properly.
The best way will be reinstall Windows if the issue comes back probably
the boot partition is corrupted or missing.
I did not clone the old windows to the new one.

My new PC is from Dell and the main drive is new with a fresh install by them.
At the moment, things seem to work. Will update again when the problem returns.

Will probably buy an extra drive anyway since it's almost full
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top